New to the state

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

New to the state

Postby getemducks » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:08 pm

Hey guys I'm new to the State of Washington. I'm from the Hayden/Rathdrum Idaho area (which is around Cour D'Alene area). I have been to washington three different times (that's kind of a lie I go to Spokane fairly often). Twice to visit my wife of 21 years parents in Ellensburg, and the other to finally move over here. Currently I'm in Marysville and still learning my way around. I was born and raised in Idaho, hunting turkeys, elk, deer, Canada's and various puddlers. But as of recently the wife convinced me to move here to Washington. I have to say its a beautiful state and I really like the mild winters and all the sea life. I'm really interested in giving sea duck hunting a try as I see lots of them on the sound, it's always been something I have wanted to try. My wife's parents have quite a bit of private land in elensburg that holds lots of game animals and they said I'm more then welcome to come down and hunt. This was my 30th season this year, first picked up hunting when I was 14, although it was an odd season, it was a great one. Shot many puddlers and Canada's with my old 870 and my new to me benelli SBEII. I have 2 daughters, 13 and 15. I have tried to get them into the outdoors but it's just not going to happen haha Im currently looking for employment, but have an interview for a machinist position at Boeing. Im thinking while I have some time off I will take the kids to Seattle and check out the aquarium, the space needle and maybe jump on the great wheel and see what it's all about. My wife knows the spots better then I do. I'm excited and think I made a good choice to move here. I thought I would poke my head in and say hi, maybe even get together for a round or two and set up some hunt or fishing trips this year! I hope to meet some of the guys of the forum this year!
Mini Goose Decoys - Inventor
"Gets the Longnecks closer"

Foamy Log Blind@ Prostaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a LOG!"

I wish I knew half as much, and shot half as many birds as the guys on DHC claim they do...
getemducks
hunter

Re: New to the state

Postby washingtonmuley » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:32 pm

Welcome to the state and site.
washingtonmuley
State Moderator

Postby getemducks » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:16 pm

Thank you Washingtonmuley!

I wish I knew half as much, and shot half as many birds as the guys on DHC claim they do...
getemducks
hunter

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:27 pm

Welcome brother
: Waterfowl Junkie & Host of "Pacific Flyway Radio"

Ragged Outdoors Pro Staff Drinking Team
Killians Irish Red Pro Staff Drinking Team
Famous Dave's BBQ Rib Tip Platter Phat Boy Team
BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby seaducking » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:46 pm

Welcome to the state. Sea Duck hunting is by far my favorite thing to do. They like the shallow eel-grass areas of the sound. Oldsquaw like the crab pot areas while Scoters are usually in the shallower bays. Harleys like rocky shorelines. Good luck. Paint up some old decoys black and use line system for the decoys.

Good luck.
seaducking
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:44 pm

I would welcome you but you ruined that in the past when you slammed my kid on his first hunt. :no: Some don't forget those that were out of line.

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=202456&p=1809820#p1809820

getemducks wrote:
h2ofowlr wrote:Nice work. My little guy just turned 9 and passed hunter Ed. I took him out as well. Third duck he shot was a banded mallard hen. He was pretty excited.

Dang your little guy is going to grow up to be a young Chad Belding or Jeff Foiles way to start him off early knowing the real reason for duck hunting....The Jewelry... :fingerhead: make sure he puts it on his lanyard. :no: :no:

getemducks wrote:Thanks. :thumbsup: The post was not meant for the original poster but more to the WA Duck whisperer. It is good to get the kids out but don't have to put two posts together on how great you and your kid is. Kinda surprised there wasn't a picture of a pile of birds and the band.
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby washingtonmuley » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:21 am

[quote="h2ofowlr"]I would welcome you but you ruined that in the past when you slammed my kid on his first hunt. :no: Some don't forget those that were out of line.

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=202456&p=1809820#p1809820
I completely missed that or I would have said"get lost". I would rather see kids shoot birds instead of myself.
washingtonmuley
State Moderator

Postby getemducks » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:16 am

Being from Idaho and hunting here with family for so long I have used this forum as a way to find out how the hunting was and how the hunters were. I knew probably some day we would move here.

SO...

H2O all a man can say is sorry but on a bunch of forums I have been on there are a few that thinks it's all about them. In years past you were one of those guys every post was with you, your limits and complaining about guides taking your spots. Then when your son first started you did the same with him on the forum. I don't think many can argue with this.

Now after your kids have been more into hunting and probably since you became a mod I see some changes. Yes everyone likes to see pictures of ducks but they also like to see humble hunters.

I hope this apology is taken well, no need to be best hunting buddies just yet but a welcome to the state would be nice.

Thanks to all that has welcomed me and sent PM's I think this will be a good move for us and I can already tell there are way more birds here, but maybe that's because season ended.

getemducks
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting