DHC Foam Decoy Casting Weekend

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

Re: DHC Foam Decoy Casting Weekend

Postby bknilvr00 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:51 pm

Those dates will work just fine. Once we get closer to the date we can discuss food stuffs and sleeping arrangements for those involved.

Sent from my space modulator.
bknilvr00
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:07 pm

May 17 / 18? I'm more than likely going to be ok for Saturday.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:50 am

Sounds like everything is a go. The main thing to address early is anyone wanting to order some EPS foam for heads or bodies.

I am making a bulk order on April 15th for both sizes of bead. Let me know if you want me to add any to the order and I will make sure to add it in. Ordering in bulk reduces the shipping costs a fair amount. If my local body foam supplier comes through and has the right bead we won't pay shipping and will pay $1 a lb less for the bead.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby ohtajj » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:16 pm

I am super sorry to say that I don't think either of those weekends will work for me. My wife has wedding stuff for her cousin on the 17th and 18th so I will have the boys and the 24th and 25th we will be out of town. Wish I could swing it, but I don't see it happening. Sorry guys

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk
ohtajj
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:20 pm

How old are the boys? Bring them along there will be dogs to play with and plenty to keep them busy if they are past the toddler phase.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby goldfish » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:26 pm

Sorry to squeak in here, but I recently got my dads old goose molds and was wondering what kind of beads you use for this? As much as I'd love to join you guys to learn this first hand, coming from Minnesota isn't very practical, lol.

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:23 am

Welcome to the thread.

Medium Bead from Polysource. Minimum order of 50 lbs. Talk to Randy he handles the small orders. The medium bead also works for large goose head molds.

Duck head molds and smaller goose head molds - Fine bead from IASCO TESCO. Smallest order quantity 5 lbs.

If you are going to engage in the foamer making process I suggest you join WorkingDecoys.net and read up in the Molded and Cast Decoy Forum. Everything you need to know is in there.

Also feel free to pm me with questions, I will be happy to help any way I can.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby goldfish » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:34 am

Thanks for the suggestions.

Carry on boys!

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby bknilvr00 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:58 am

Clay, ill go in on fifty pounds for myself, and the appropriate fine bead amount as well.

bknilvr00
hunter

Postby ohtajj » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:03 pm

The older is 3 and would do okay probably, but the little guy is 1 and I don't see him doing too well for the weekend. If I can find someone to watch them for the weekend Ill let you guys know, but its not looking good so far.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk
ohtajj
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:36 am

bknilvr00 wrote:Clay, ill go in on fifty pounds for myself, and the appropriate fine bead amount as well.

Ditto.
Cougar125
hunter

Postby star882 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:09 pm

Ill have to take a break from Lingcod fishing but that weekend will work for me. I live in Lake Stevens so i wont need to stay the night or anything ill just drive over each day.
star882
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:43 am

Somehow I am seeing a bunch of my molds staying at Bknilvrs place for the summer. :thumbsup:

Right now I have the following foam amounts listed for purchase.

Scauphunter 100 lbs - Medium Bead

Stanwood 50 lbs - Medium Bead

Bknilvr 50 lbs - Medium Bead

Cougar 50 lbs - Medium Bead

Head Bead is going to vary all over the map depending on what size of bodies and heads you guys cast. Some of the larger goose heads I mold with medium bead instead of fine bead.

Here is the good news. My local source got back to me with confirmation that they are using a medium bead foam which is perfect for casting bodies and large decoy heads. Our cost will be $3 a lb + tax. Right now we are at 250 lbs of body foam for a base price of $750.

Head foam is ordered from Iasco Tesco and we can all order our own or I can put in an order for a larger quantity and cut down on shipping costs. An individual can order as little as 5 lbs on up. If you plan to run 50 lbs of bodies I would reccommend at least 10 lbs of head bead. If you decide to run larger decoys such as Cans, Herters 72's, or Goose bodies then you might want to run that up to 20 lbs or 25 lbs of bead.

We will keep refining things as we move forward. The weekend is coming along nicely and we will be able to xast a large numbers of decoys if everyone brings along their propane stoves, large pots, and propane tanks.

We will see how the weekend goes. I may leave some of my molds with Bknilvr so guys in the area can finish casting their spreads.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:29 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:Bknilvr 50 lbs - Medium Bead

Clay,

Did you miss the spot where we said the appropriate amount of head bead too? :eek:
Cougar125
hunter

Postby StanwoodSpartan » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:53 am

Since its on the 17th and 18th, and that's my Mon/Tue I may have to pick up the beads and stay for an hour or so in for mornings or swing by on my way to work. I definitely want the 50lbs of beads for the bodies. May even go for 75lb if I'm able to order an extra 25lbs...
Shoot a goose, save a plane!
StanwoodSpartan
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:44 am

Cougar125 wrote:
ScaupHunter wrote:Bknilvr 50 lbs - Medium Bead

Clay,

Did you miss the spot where we said the appropriate amount of head bead too? :eek:

The key question is what decoys do you want to make? I am assuming Scoters, Brant, Harlequins, and Old Squaw. The problem is you need to tell me how many and what types to know the proper amount. We can chat back and forth and I can post up pictures if needed so you can pick out what you want to work on. If we don't get everything cast up over the weekend I can leave them molds with Bknilvr you want to use and the two of you can finish casting up the decoys you want and either ship the molds back or I can pick them up on a trip north for Brant. Bknilvr doesn't know it yet but he has some serious diver and Brant hunting to do next season. I missed my late season trip last year and will be looking to make up for it this season.

If you plan to go with the smaller diver bodies I made OS and Harlis out of you won't need much head foam. If you want Brant, OS, or larger decoys you will need a lot more since the heads are much, much larger by volume. Give it some thought, get me a list of what you want to make and I can give you a reasonably close estimate of the head foam you will need.

By the way, I will be looking to collect the funds for the head foam order around the 15th of April so I can get the order in and get it shipped in time. I will need the funds for the body foam prior to the 15th of May so I have the funds in hand prior to running north to pick up the foam and attend the weekend.
Last edited by ScaupHunter on Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:53 am

StanwoodSpartan wrote:Since its on the 17th and 18th, and that's my Mon/Tue I may have to pick up the beads and stay for an hour or so in for mornings or swing by on my way to work. I definitely want the 50lbs of beads for the bodies. May even go for 75lb if I'm able to order an extra 25lbs...

I plan to be up at Bknilvrs place by noon on Friday. We can plan to have you meet me there and get some casting going through that evening. If you stop in for the mornings as well you can get a lot of casting done in a short period of time.

Once we crack the 100 lb mark we can order whatever amount of foam we want from the supplier. You can order 75 lbs or 100lbs.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:28 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:The key question is what decoys do you want to make? I am assuming Scoters, Brant, Harlequins, and Old Squaw.

Close! Scoters, Goldies, Buffies, and Brant. I still have every intent of having you do the Old Squaw and Harlequins.

The problem is you need to tell me how many and what types to know the proper amount. We can chat back and forth and I can post up pictures if needed so you can pick out what you want to work on.

I'm looking at 2 dozen each of scoters and goldies, 2 dozen brant, and about a dozen buffies. 50 lbs will cover that or be overkill? If it's overkill, I still owe Mitch for some other dekes and weights he made me so I could make it up with the excess.

If we don't get everything cast up over the weekend I can leave them molds with Bknilvr you want to use and the two of you can finish casting up the decoys you want and either ship the molds back or I can pick them up on a trip north for Brant.
Well, after a conversation with my ex-wife, via my attorney, I will have my daughter the weekend of the get together. I may have to buy some little paint pots and give her a "duck" to paint how she wants to keep her entertained. I'm going to talk to the wife so we can just make a day of it. I doubt I'll be able to get EVERYTHING cast in a day, but a start would work.

Bknilvr doesn't know it yet but he has some serious diver and Brant hunting to do next season. I missed my late season trip last year and will be looking to make up for it this season.

Have fun! I'll be on deployment, putting aside the money for a trip to either Alaska or Mexico for the wife and I. You may want to plan a trip for the 15/16 season also!

If you plan to go with the smaller diver bodies I made OS and Harlis out of you won't need much head foam. If you want Brant, OS, or larger decoys you will need a lot more since the heads are much, much larger by volume. Give it some thought, get me a list of what you want to make and I can give you a reasonably close estimate of the head foam you will need.
Like I said above. :)
By the way, I will be looking to collect the funds for the head foam order around the 15th of April so I can get the order in and get it shipped in time. I will need the funds for the body foam prior to the 15th of May so I have the funds in hand prior to running north to pick up the foam and attend the weekend.
Paypal work? Shoot me a PM.
Cougar125
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:43 pm

Cougar125 wrote:
ScaupHunter wrote:The key question is what decoys do you want to make? I am assuming Scoters, Brant, Harlequins, and Old Squaw.

Close! Scoters, Goldies, Buffies, and Brant. I still have every intent of having you do the Old Squaw and Harlequins.

Scoter & GE's are about 1 lb of foam per body. Buffies are hand carved bodies from the smaller diver bodies at 1/2 lb of foam per body. Brant are 1.25 lbs of foam to 1.5 lbs of foam per body depending on which mold you use. Just so you know I will be having the Burpy Frog make me a Buffy Body mold this summer to match the head molds I am carving the bodies for.

The problem is you need to tell me how many and what types to know the proper amount. We can chat back and forth and I can post up pictures if needed so you can pick out what you want to work on.

I'm looking at 2 dozen each of scoters and goldies, 2 dozen brant, and about a dozen buffies. 50 lbs will cover that or be overkill? If it's overkill, I still owe Mitch for some other dekes and weights he made me so I could make it up with the excess.

Based on your numbers you will need.

Scoter 24 lbs

GE's 24 lbs

Brant 36 lbs

Buffies 6 lbs

Total EPS body foam needed = 92 lbs. The numbers are conservative. I would guess that 75 lbs will get you most of the way through the spread you want with 80 to 85 lbs covering it fully.

If we don't get everything cast up over the weekend I can leave them molds with Bknilvr you want to use and the two of you can finish casting up the decoys you want and either ship the molds back or I can pick them up on a trip north for Brant.
Well, after a conversation with my ex-wife, via my attorney, I will have my daughter the weekend of the get together. I may have to buy some little paint pots and give her a "duck" to paint how she wants to keep her entertained. I'm going to talk to the wife so we can just make a day of it. I doubt I'll be able to get EVERYTHING cast in a day, but a start would work.

There is no way you will get everything cast in a day. I will be planning to leave some of the molds with Bknivlr and you can work your way through the foam you have before you leave. It is only good for about 6 months and then it reduces in expansion and eventally won't work as the gas escapes the bead. Bring your daughter between the dogs, lots of people, and having some birds to paint she will have a good day. I will make sure we have some decoys for her to paint on if you bring the paint.

Bknilvr doesn't know it yet but he has some serious diver and Brant hunting to do next season. I missed my late season trip last year and will be looking to make up for it this season.

Have fun! I'll be on deployment, putting aside the money for a trip to either Alaska or Mexico for the wife and I. You may want to plan a trip for the 15/16 season also! You can count on it. I plan to run up and hunt every year at least once and possibly twice. I have a place to crash, a sled, and a pod. Makes for a very nice trip with fun hunting buddies and some great birds to hunt. I need to focus on OS, Barrows, and Brant on my next trips north.

Like I said above. :) I will look at my heads I have cast and get some weights put together on the head foam needed and amounts you should buy. The nice thing is you can order the head foam in 5 lb lots and just cast it as you have time.
Paypal work? Shoot me a PM.
I will do that in the near future.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:54 pm

Cancel the brant idea then. I won't need any of those for at least 2 years. :thumbsup:
Cougar125
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:24 pm

Sounds good. Let me run the numbers after getting some weights on heads I have made up and I can tell you roughly how much fine bead EPS you will need for the ducks you want to cast.

On a side note, Bknilvr and I can mail molds back and forth as needed. I know Stanwood Spartan is most likely going to want a bunch of different heads and bodies, Bknilvr and you will also want to make up different species as well. I have an awesome Widgeon body and head mold set that I am sure you guys will end up wanting decoys from as well.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby star882 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:30 pm

So based on your message back to me it sounds like ill go with 50lbs of medium EPS for the weekend. What body do you use for your scoters? DU 102 or something else? Eventually I plan on making some Scoters but for the weekend event i am going to focus on brant and goldeneye hopefully. Since you will have your head molds ill probably pick up extra of the fine EPS to make a bunch of heads.
star882
hunter

Postby StanwoodSpartan » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:57 pm

As I have quite a few plastic puddler decoys and am in need of divers, I think with my 75lbs I am going to do the following:

1 dozen Canvasbacks
1 dozen Bluebills
1/2 dozen Redheads
1/2 dozen Buffleheads

Once I get the above decoys all finished and hunted over this next season, I will look at proceeding on making some puddlers such as the widgeon, pintails, and mallards. I can't make all the decoys this offseason, what will I do next offseason?? :yes:
Shoot a goose, save a plane!
StanwoodSpartan
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:45 am

Go ahead and make all the bodies, restle coat them, and base paint them. You will still be painting puddler hens 3 years from now! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Ask me how I know!
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:52 am

star882 wrote:So based on your message back to me it sounds like ill go with 50lbs of medium EPS for the weekend. What body do you use for your scoters? DU 102 or something else? Eventually I plan on making some Scoters but for the weekend event i am going to focus on brant and goldeneye hopefully. Since you will have your head molds ill probably pick up extra of the fine EPS to make a bunch of heads.

I make my GE's and Scoters on the DU #102 body. I have a Magnum Diver body that makes an awesome Canvasback, Scoter, Ringneck, etc.... It takes a lot of medium bead to make that one up.

I did my first run of decoy bodies and decided to take a hard look at what I really wanted and needed in a decoy spread. I switched my focus over to lifesize decoys or slightly larger decoys after taking a hard look and thinking about how I hunt. My experience has led me to using quality decoys that look great and are standard or lifesize decoys. My lifesize decoys pull way more birds than Magnums, or Super Magnums have. Ducks regularly find other lifesize ducks with no trouble in horrible weather and hunting conditions. I have found exactly zero reasons to hunt over Magnum or Super Magnum decoys.

If I need a more noticeable spread, it is much easier to add more decoys with lifesize deeks than with Magnums due to limited boat space, cost, and bulk of the decoys in general.

I always cast the decoy heads before I cast the bodies. If you want to get serious about casting the heads, make a complete list of foamers you want to make. Get a specific number for each species and come to the weekend with a plan. I will have all of my head molds there. You can crank out a ton of heads, and I can keep the foam you buy running through molds while you are at work. There is a good chance you can get most or all of the heads you need cast. I would buy 20 lbs of head bead. The good news is that you live near Bknilvr so you will be able to borrow / swap out any molds that stay at his place with him after the weekend is over.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Washington Duck Hunting