DHC Foam Decoy Casting Weekend

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr, washingtonmuley

Re: DHC Foam Decoy Casting Weekend

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:26 pm

Time is closing in on the casting weekends first EPS order. This order will be going through IASCO TESCO for fine bead for casting heads. I have quite a few heads cast up and will be weighing them to get an idea of the amounts of foam guys will need to order and posting that tomorrow or the next day.

Anyone who has not let me know how many heads and of what type they think they want get me a message in the thread or fire me a PM. I plan to send the foam order in between the 15th and the 20th. The body foam will be ordered a week out from pick up and I will be swinging by the supplier to pick it up on my way north.

I will be looking to get the money in hand for the fine bead order by the 15th. I will need the body foam cash by the 15th of May.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:39 am

Cougar,

for

2 doz Scoter
2 doz Golden Eyes
1 doz Buffies

I would get 23 to 25 lbs of fine bead EPS for the heads.

25 lbs of bead is $69.99 with shipping you end up at $100. Hazmat shipping costs apply and really run the shipping costs up on the bead. We are getting the medium bead at a far better deal locally since I won't be paying shipping costs.

To the rest of the folks attending who want more head foam, post up or pm me the numbers of types of decoys you want and I can run the numbers to see how much of the fine bead foam you will need. I am going to be looking to collect the cash for the fine bead foam order shortly.

I plan to pick up 25 lbs of the fine bead and will bring it to the casting weekend to make the decoy heads for the folks just coming to learn about casting and the entire process. It will be used to provide a couple of heads to go with the two bodies I plan to send home with the folks just coming to learn.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:21 am

ScaupHunter wrote:Cougar,

for

2 doz Scoter
2 doz Golden Eyes
1 doz Buffies

I would get 23 to 25 lbs of fine bead EPS for the heads.

25 lbs of bead is $69.99 with shipping you end up at $100. Hazmat shipping costs apply and really run the shipping costs up on the bead. We are getting the medium bead at a far better deal locally since I won't be paying shipping costs.

Cool. You get paypal yet?
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:47 am

Yah,

Fire me a pm with your phone number and Bknilvrs to if you would. I have a new phone and your numbers didn't transfer. I will give you a call.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Re: DHC Foam Decoy Casting Weekend - Foam Amounts

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:13 am

Right now I have the following foam amounts noted down for purchase for the foam casting weekend. Anyone that wants in on the order fire me a pm with your contact info and what you think you want. If you don't know how much tell me the species you want to make and how many and I can tell you what to order.

Scauphunter 100 lbs - Medium Bead
25 lbs - Fine Bead

Stanwood 75 lbs - Medium Bead
0 lbs - Fine Bead

Bknilvr 50 lbs - Medium Bead
25 lbs - Fine Bead

Cougar 50 lbs - Medium Bead
25 lbs - Fine Bead

Star882 50 lbs - Medium Bead
25 lbs - Fine Bead

Tripleb56 75 to 100 lbs - Medium Bead
25 to 30 lbs - Fine Bead

I will have enough foam there to make sure the folks attending to learn will leave with two decoys to work on. I will provide synthetic lumber keels for the decoys as well. I plan to bring Apoxy Sculpt, Titebond, sawdust, Latex base paint, and other supplies so we can work through the entire process during the weekend.

I will be bringing along a two burner propane stove, a propane tank, a medium and large boiling pot, bins for expanded foam, a belt sander for grinding off the flash, etc.... as well.

Folks who plan to attend should bring their own large boiling pots, propane stoves, and propane tanks. We have a lot of interest in getting a large number of bodies and heads cast. I have a plan for running an assembly line process while we run through the training that will get a ton of decoys bodies and heads completed so folks can take them home to complete.
Last edited by ScaupHunter on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:07 am, edited 5 times in total.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby StanwoodSpartan » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:14 pm

Clay I already have fine bead and am in the process of making heads here, so I just need 75lbs of medium beads.
Shoot a goose, save a plane!
StanwoodSpartan
hunter

Re: DHC Foam Decoy Casting Weekend - Foam Amounts

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:16 am

Updated foam amount numbers. I have some folks sending cash my way for the fine bead head order on the 15th. Everyone else needs to firm up in the next few days and get money orders, checks, or paypal payments to me by the 15th. The fine bead head foam is coming from the midwest. I want to ensure it all gets here well ahead of time.

Scauphunter 100 lbs - Medium Bead
25 lbs - Fine Bead

Stanwood 75 lbs - Medium Bead
0 lbs - Fine Bead

Bknilvr 50 lbs - Medium Bead
25 lbs - Fine Bead

Cougar 50 lbs - Medium Bead
25 lbs - Fine Bead

Star882 50 lbs - Medium Bead
0 lbs - Fine Bead

Tripleb56 75 to 100 lbs - Medium Bead
0lbs - Fine Bead

Medium Bead total to date - 400 lbs.
Fine Bead total to date - 100 lbs

Let me know if you guys are thinking about changes to the numbers. The fine bead is always the same prices and shipping always runs the same from IASCO TESCO. The body foam is pretty much a one time deal unless you want to order 100 lbs or more from the local supplier I found at some later date.

The plan is to have the few heads I need to cast for my spread completed from the head foam I am ordering for myself. I won't be casting any heads during the cast in weekend. Bknilvr is figuring on casting his decoys after the weekend is over as well. This is based on my plans to leave the molds he needs for his spread behind at his place. This will allow us to focus on the visiting attendees and getting as much of their spreads cast as we can over the weekend. Anyone who does not complete their spread over the weekend is going to have to find ways to bribe Bknilvr to share the molds he has at his place. I hear his favorite form of payment is great hunting locations. That and offers of trips to new spots as well. :devil:

I am putting together and will post up a list of the items that would be great to bring along to make your casting process easier / quicker / more effective.
Last edited by ScaupHunter on Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:47 pm

I just chatted with IASCO TESCO. They confirmed they have lots of fine bead available for a large order on the 15th. The largest quantity they will ship is 25 lb amounts in one box which works out great since that is what most folks are ordering. This just means I won't have to fiddle with weighing it and getting it into seperate bags.

I firmed up on the price which is $112.25 shipped or for folks using Paypal $115 since they love to charge me for each transaction. Their prices went up a bit and it is not reflected on their website yet, hence my thinking it was $100 like the last batch I ordered.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:41 am

It looks like the last of the cash is coming in for the fine bead order for head foam. I plan to place the order Thursday which will ensure it gets here in plenty of time for the casting weekend.

I spoke with the local firm supplying the medium bead foam. They need me to place the order by the 7th of May so they have time to pull the bead out and place it in the proper storage / travel containers. I will be chatting with folks on getting that cash in hand around the 1st of May.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:46 am

I just put the order in for the fine bead for all the folks that wanted some. Anyone who wants to purchase some and missed the order can get ahold of IASCO TESCO to order direct. They sell from 5 to 25 lb quantities. I ordered 4 - 25 lb lots. Everybody will be getting a seperate box with the foam they ordered.

I will be working to coordinate the cash for those who are looking to hop on the medium bead for the bodies on or around the 1st of May.

It is also time to start talking about how we want to handle food, sleeping set ups, etc.... for the weekend.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:08 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:It is also time to start talking about how we want to handle food, sleeping set ups, etc.... for the weekend.

Life events changed for me a little over the last weekend. I bought a 32' RV. If my wife lets me do the trip overnight, I'll have my midget with me and will probably tow my beast down to sleep in...but lets just keep planning me for a day trip. I've still gotta talk to Mitch, but I'll see him May 3rd.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby StanwoodSpartan » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:10 pm

Clay just let me know where, how much and when to send the funds. I won't be staying either, as I will be working in the evenings.
StanwoodSpartan
hunter

Postby bknilvr00 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:48 pm

Cougar125 wrote:
ScaupHunter wrote:It is also time to start talking about how we want to handle food, sleeping set ups, etc.... for the weekend.

Life events changed for me a little over the last weekend. I bought a 32' RV. If my wife lets me do the trip overnight, I'll have my midget with me and will probably tow my beast down to sleep in...but lets just keep planning me for a day trip. I've still gotta talk to Mitch, but I'll see him May 3rd.

I dont know where you plan on parking a 32 ft trailer, but it aint gna fit in my yard. You wont be able to make any of the turns.
bknilvr00
hunter

Postby StanwoodSpartan » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:58 pm

bknilvr00 wrote:
Cougar125 wrote:

I dont know where you plan on parking a 32 ft trailer, but it aint gna fit in my yard. You wont be able to make any of the turns.

Theres a Walmart parking lot a few miles away.. haha
StanwoodSpartan
hunter

Postby star882 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:05 pm

I wont need to stay the night either since i live in lake stevens as well.
star882
hunter

Postby metlhead » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:26 pm

Scauphunter, if you still need a place, I may have found you a joint with a lot of covered shop space, camping, and showers. Very near Rochester. You know the #.
metlhead
Newb

Postby Tool-Man » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:32 pm

metlhead wrote:Scauphunter, if you still need a place, I may have found you a joint with a lot of covered shop space, camping, and showers. Very near Rochester. You know the #.

Camping? Now I want to go and I'm not even interesting in cast decoys. :thumbsup:
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Join WWA to save the sport. Ask me about it. http://www.waduck.org
Tool-Man
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:43 am

Thanks for the offer Metlhead.

The folks who have been posting up are centered around Lake Stevens and spots up north. We will be holding it at Bknilvrs place in Lake Stevens.

I will be planning to crash at your place the night before I head up north. I will give you a call tonight.

I will be picking the raw bead up in Kent area, then heading north to Lake Stevens.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Re: DHC Foam Decoy Casting Weekend - Update

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:16 am

The first foam order came in. 100 lbs of fine bead foam for decoy heads and small decoy bodies is in the house. I came home to this on my doorstep on Wednesday night.

Foam.jpg

I have a bunch of new molds heading my way that will be here before the casting weekend. I will be getting in touch with the last person on the body foam order and calling that in after the 1st of May.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Re: DHC Foam Decoy Casting Weekend - Update

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue May 06, 2014 9:05 am

I am putting in the medium EPS bead order for body foam today. I am putting in a large enough personal order that that folks looking to get foam that have not dropped the cash to my attention can pick some up from me if they would like.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Previous

Return to Washington Duck Hunting