avain x or Dakotas?

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

avain x or Dakotas?

Postby strickland » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:58 pm

Which one would you rather duck hunt over and why? I'm getting one of these two dekes pretty soon and want your opinions on them. Thanks guys
strickland
hunter

Re: avain x or Dakotas?

Postby wanapasaki » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:17 pm

Dakotas seems to last longer in all aspects, but imo GHG has the better paint job as long as you take the time to protect them
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Drake Drayage » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:49 pm

:ditto:

Don't be fooled by the fancy AvianX prostaff stickers! Dakotas are the way to go. Dakotas look better and last longer = kill more ducks :)
Shade Prostaff
Blackberry Kazoo Boy Productions
Drake Drayage
hunter

Postby ohtajj » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:01 pm

Between the 2 I would go with Dakotas, but I kind of like the Higdon magnum foam filled mallards. LOVE the way they ride and the paint holds up really well. Really heavy though

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk
ohtajj
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:05 pm

Well, if I had more options I'd go avian-x. Those backwater mallards are great for the price. Mine took a beating and still look great
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby strickland » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:19 am

Thanks guys. I was originally leaning towards the Dakotas but than gotntonthinkjng that I do a lot of walk in hunting, and with the flocked heads I would be worried about the head rubbing and taking the flocking off. Has anyone had a problem with that? I thought about just getting the slotted bags for them but at 1-2 miles in that would be a long hall with two nor three big bags slung over my shoulders. That's why I was considering getting the avians. Am I over thinking it with the dakotas ?
strickland
hunter

Postby ohtajj » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:41 am

I believe the Dakotas come with flocked heads as well as regular painted heads. You could swap them out when you're walking in and be good to go.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk
ohtajj
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:48 am

I've used Dakotas for the past 2 seasons and I hunt a lot. Overall the dekes have held up real well including the flocked heads. I keep them in slotted bags and usually travel to and from the blind by some sort of boat.

They are big dekes and fairly heavy. I would think most people could haul 2 dozen pretty easily walking in. 3 might be tougher. Take that size into account when buying bags.

I've never really cared for the look of the hens but the ducks don't seem to care as much as I do. They are a good decoy and have a natural look on the water.

I've hunted over avian x and they seemed fine as well.

I'm sure you can kill lots of ducks over either brand.
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:35 pm

: I would say that it depends on if you do walk in or hunt from boat. When I hunt my puddle spots, fairly decent walk in ... and let me say that the Dakota's are HEAVY SOB's ... I had 2 dozen of the floater mallards, and had to turn them into water keels ... dropped weight from the sand in the keels, gotta say that it wasn't "so" bad then ...

May go with X's next season ... two heavy are the Dakota's
: Waterfowl Junkie & Host of "Pacific Flyway Radio"

Ragged Outdoors Pro Staff Drinking Team
Killians Irish Red Pro Staff Drinking Team
Famous Dave's BBQ Rib Tip Platter Phat Boy Team
BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby strickland » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:43 pm

Yeah I have heard that the Dakotas are pretty heavy. That would really suck over a good distance. After looking at them more I do know that the the Dakotas will last a long time and quality is good but I'm leaning towards the avains. I just think they look more realistic. Not saying the Dakotas are not.I have talked to the Dakota guys and they no longer come with the non flocked heads, they only come with the flocked heads. But between how I think they look the weight and my concerns about the Dakotas flocked heads I'm going to try out the avains.
strickland
hunter

Postby MNGunner » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:56 pm

I have both for the last two years. I mix in 6 Backwater Avian X's to my 12 Dakotas and it really makes the spread come alive. The Dakotas are much better overall decoys (paint, durability, realism, swivel heads, flocked heads, etc.), but the feeder poses of the backwater Avian X's are awesome.

PM me if you have any specific questions.
MNGunner
hunter

Postby Erie » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:33 pm

Avians
WWA member
NRA lifetime member
DU member
Erie
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:57 pm

Dakotas are heavy ^ Avian's a bit lighter and GHG being the lightest between all 3. Why don't you get a cart and put your slotted bags on them?
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby jgoetz » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:15 am

I have hunted quite a bit over Dakotas. I have no experience with the Avian brand. My buddy has a dozen Dakotas. They are so realistic I have mistaken them for ducks on the water multiple times. They move very naturally on the water. And are incredibly durable.

However, my buddy (the owner of said dekes) is one of those guys that worries obsessively about the flocking. So he has them in a slotted bag. Now granted I am a small guy (5'9" 120 soaking wet), but carrying those things in a slotted bag is nothing but a death march. The flocking does hold up pretty well.

Hope this helps.
Talk crap, get hit!
jgoetz
hunter

Postby getemducks » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:13 pm

I'd personally take Dakota's... Seem better built and can take more of a beating (MY OPINION). As far as the hens go they don't seem as realistic as the avian x. BUT people seem to forget depending on your area you are pulling birds from a great distance (hundreds of yards if not more) and by the time the birds think that there is something funny about them or whatever... You should be shooting at them anyway (MY opinion). so I usually go with what I need... Durability, or super light weight. Idk if that helps any. Just my $0.02
Mini Goose Decoys - Inventor
"Gets the Longnecks closer"

Foamy Log Blind@ Prostaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a LOG!"

I wish I knew half as much, and shot half as many birds as the guys on DHC claim they do...
getemducks
hunter

Postby The Red Zone » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:05 pm

I prefer hunting over them I love them but hope they maybe will consider making wigeon decoys :thumbsup:
The Red Zone
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:49 pm

The decoys have come a long ways, but I am still partial to my Dave Smith Decoys, DSD. :thumbsup:
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby Tealer » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:46 pm

As far as ducks go, I swear by my Avery decoys.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Cajun1085 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:50 am

I call these my enhanced Dakotas. Iridescent paint on drake heads, flocked tails. Hens have some paint added to them as well. These dekes are 3 years old. Still look great
Attachments
dakota hens.JPG
photo.JPG
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby NickT » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:06 pm

I have had both decoys for one season now. I clear coated the bodies of both of them and the avian x's are looking way better than the dakotas by now. I used both of them the same amount. About 35-40 times over the season. The Dakotas do look a lot prettier at first, but im finding the flocked heads have lost patches of flocking. Next time I'll just purchase the Avians. They're lighter and look almost darn near the same as the Dakotas. Both sweet decoys though.
NickT
hunter

Postby strickland » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:45 am

What did you clear coat them with?
strickland
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting