Spring/Summer project. (Boat Rebuild)

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, h2ofowlr, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck

Spring/Summer project. (Boat Rebuild)

Postby tripleb56 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:32 pm

So after this season and using my Grumman for the first year; with the help of some fellow DHC members and after several hunts we have been able to figure out what works and what doesn't work. My dad and I have decided on a plan for the rebuild of the boat.

This will be my first rebuild and after reading countless topics and having many discussions with DHC members and boat builders this is what we have come up with. After last years issues with the existing motor that will be the first thing to go. Next we have decided to open the floor and get rid of all excess things that we don't need, want, or use ie. livewell, center console, extra storage pods, and rear bench seat.

After removing everything I will be plug welding all rivet holes and adding some reinforcement with the ribbing and also adding some floor struts to bolt the new aluminum floor to. All the existing wood will be ripped out and I will be replacing everything with 10 gauge 6061 aluminum. I have the benefit of being a fabricator for a large company and have access to all scrap material and I can also use any shop tools or area I need for personal work in my free time. Also having an experienced engineering team and working with several fab workers that have been in the industry for a very long time I can bounce ideas off of guys and have had some good success so far with how to properly rebuild this boat for what we need.

As you can see we don't have a lot of floor space.

Here's a list of things we hope to accomplish. not in order!
1. remove all wood.
2. open floor plan
3. replace rear bench seat with 2 individual pods with reinforced ribbing and struts to add rigidity to boat.
4. replace floor with 6061 aluminum and rhino line for traction.
5. replace seat tops and bow storage compartment lids with aluminum and make waterproof for dry storage boxes.
6. rhino line all seat tops
7. move gas tank and batteries to bow of boat.
8. add new interior and exterior lighting
9. build blind for boat
10. rebuild bunks for trailer and rewire new LED trailer lights.
11. Paint boat.
12. check all rivets and remove and replace all if any loose rivets.
13. replace motor with tiller and add removable grab bar so operator can stand and have a little extra to hold onto.
14. rebuild transom.
15. gather together essentials to keep stored in boat at all times. ie. first aid kit and all CG required safety equip.

If anyone has any suggestions feel free to shout em out we are welcome to any positive ideas. Thanks guys.
Attachments
boat rebuild 001 (1024x639).jpg
boat rebuild 007 (1024x768).jpg
boat rebuild 005 (1024x768).jpg
boat rebuild 002 (1024x768).jpg
Last edited by tripleb56 on Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's about time!
tripleb56
hunter

Re: Spring/Summer project. (Boat Rebuild)

Postby tripleb56 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:36 pm

Now here comes the fun part of demolition!
Attachments
boat rebuild 010 (1024x768).jpg
boat rebuild 056 (765x1024).jpg
boat rebuild 057 (765x1024).jpg
boat rebuild 058 (765x1024).jpg
boat rebuild 062 (765x1024).jpg
It's about time!
tripleb56
hunter

Postby tripleb56 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:56 pm

Got to messing around with some ideas and built these for the boat. what do y'all think
boat rebuild 064 (1024x765).jpg

Also looking at adding some pods to the boat also. after talking to another grumman owner who added pods to his boat I'm convinced to try it. these are what I'm gonna be building and they will be leak tested and PSI tested prior to being added to boat.
Attachments
boat rebuild 067 (640x427).jpg
It's about time!
tripleb56
hunter

Postby Lost Fish » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:17 pm

Looks like you have hit the ground running here. The boat looks like it will drive you plenty crazy getting it all together before the season.

Really like the cup and shell holder. You get them figured out might get 2 of them for my boat!

Reb
Reb
Fish, Hunt, Coffee, and Beer! What more does a guy need!!!
NW WWA Best Parking Space
Retired Marine, Now living off the Goverment (Wife's) Tit!!!
Lost Fish
hunter

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:06 am

Make two or three extra ... I'll buy them for my boat ... at least support your cause.
: Waterfowl Junkie & Host of "Pacific Flyway Radio"

Ragged Outdoors Pro Staff Drinking Team
Killians Irish Red Pro Staff Drinking Team
Famous Dave's BBQ Rib Tip Platter Phat Boy Team
BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:40 am

Seriously I would order 3 of these in a heartbeat!
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby washingtonmuley » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:08 am

I would order a couple as well.
washingtonmuley
State Moderator

Postby tripleb56 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:23 am

Well the shell and Cup holders are made from 6061 alum. and are Tig welded and sealed and have 2 drain holes drilled in the bottom. I am curious as to what people would pay for them?

I can also add different hangers to them to be able to attach to your specific boat. and I could make them primed and painted for a price or I could just make them and you could paint how you wanted?

What do you guys think?
It's about time!
tripleb56
hunter

Postby Dukalr » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:27 pm

If be interested as well, those are sweet!!! They'd look great in the sled!!!
Dukalr
hunter

Postby tripleb56 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:38 pm

Well got to stripping the paint off and rebuilt the transom got 90% done today. hoping to finish tomorrow and start to mock up the floor and get it test fitted, once done with that I will test fit the seats and new lids for the seats and dry storage I'm hoping to get this all done this weekend and have it prepped to prime and paint by next weekend. Then its on to adding the foam board and installing everything and beginning the wiring.
Attachments
boat rebuild 021 (598x800).jpg
boat rebuild 025 (800x598).jpg
boat rebuild 023 (800x598).jpg
boat rebuild 022 (800x598).jpg
boat rebuild 020 (598x800).jpg
It's about time!
tripleb56
hunter

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:22 am

: Full throttle brother ... !!!!

I'm also tackling one project at a time on my boat, but by NO means is it at the speed your going! Good luck, keep the pics coming!
: Waterfowl Junkie & Host of "Pacific Flyway Radio"

Ragged Outdoors Pro Staff Drinking Team
Killians Irish Red Pro Staff Drinking Team
Famous Dave's BBQ Rib Tip Platter Phat Boy Team
BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby tripleb56 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:37 am

Thanks BBBD I have been working on it for a couple weeks now and with duck season over and me not chasing thunder chickens this year I have plenty of free time to work on it. My plan is to have it completed and ready to bring to the OWF for the boat contest, not wanting to win anything just wanted to bring it and see what everyone thinks and get suggestions on things I might be able to improve.
It's about time!
tripleb56
hunter

Postby eagles2069 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:02 am

Are you going to check for any leaks? It just had me thinking that with the floor and foam out and since it is a riveted boat it might be a good time to check for small leaks and fix them now. Awesome progress on the boat and I can't wait to see the finished project.
eagles2069
hunter

Postby tripleb56 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:10 pm

eagles2069 wrote:Are you going to check for any leaks? It just had me thinking that with the floor and foam out and since it is a riveted boat it might be a good time to check for small leaks and fix them now. Awesome progress on the boat and I can't wait to see the finished project.

So I took what you said and decided to check the rivets and their are a few loose ones that I need to replace. I am also going to use Gluvit or 5200 on all the seams and then I am going to fill the boat and use a leak test kit I got from the marine store and see if I have any where else to fix. I am also going to have to Rhino-line the floor and front deck as well as seat tops before I prime and paint so it looks like I have a little more to do before the boat gets painted. I did replace the bunks with new carpeted bunks on the trailer I replaced the front winch after the old one broke last season and I stripped the old wiring out of the trailer after seeing how its corroded and cracking. I will get some more picture up soon.
It's about time!
tripleb56
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:27 am

tripleb56 wrote:Got to messing around with some ideas and built these for the boat. what do y'all think
boat rebuild 064 (1024x765).jpg

Also looking at adding some pods to the boat also. after talking to another grumman owner who added pods to his boat I'm convinced to try it. these are what I'm gonna be building and they will be leak tested and PSI tested prior to being added to boat.

Looks good, but make sure you add a drain hole in the bottom of the cup and shell holder if you already haven't. Don't want wet shells.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby tripleb56 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:29 pm

tripleb56 wrote:Well the shell and Cup holders are made from 6061 alum. and are Tig welded and sealed and have 2 drain holes drilled in the bottom.

I have 2 holes drilled in opposite corners to drain from.
It's about time!
tripleb56
hunter

Postby AnonymousDuck » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:18 pm

Looks great. I'm doing the same thing with my boat too. I'll continue following your updates.
Nothing Runs Like a Lab...
SD/SHR, DixieBrit's Waterdog "Dream" Come True.
Member: Combat Veterans Waterfowl Association.

XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Postby tripleb56 » Sun May 04, 2014 6:29 pm

So this weekend I got the floor cut out and test fitted and its perfect! Now I just have to decide if I should weld all into one uniform piece or weld into 2 pieces to make it easy to pull out for any future repairs and to clean in the off season. Any suggestions?
Attachments
boat rebuild 019 (598x800).jpg
boat rebuild 018 (800x598).jpg
boat rebuild 017 (800x598).jpg
It's about time!
tripleb56
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sun May 04, 2014 8:14 pm

I have been struggling with this decision too. I have been trying to find a single sheet large enough to do my whole floor. Do you plan on riveting it down? I would like to be able to pull my floor up to clean too, but with the hydroturf on top, not sure how I would drill the rivets.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby tripleb56 » Sun May 04, 2014 8:33 pm

I plan on having the floor set with self tapping screws so I can remove it whenever I need to. I am rhino lining the floor before I bolt it down so I wont be using anything like hydro-turf. This will make it easier for me to be able to remove it and do repairs or any cleaning in the off season when I need to. Since all wiring and the fuel line will run under the floor in a sealed 2" aluminum tube this will help keep them dry and out of the salt throughput the season.
It's about time!
tripleb56
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sun May 04, 2014 8:55 pm

Nice, that sounds good. I will probably use as few screws as possible, and just make small cutouts in the hydroturf.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby tripleb56 » Sun May 04, 2014 9:06 pm

B.E.Nelli wrote:Nice, that sounds good. I will probably use as few screws as possible, and just make small cutouts in the hydroturf.

Ive been thinking about using hydroturf but Ive never talked to anyone that has used it. what kind of benefits is their? Anyone here used it?
It's about time!
tripleb56
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sun May 04, 2014 10:10 pm

This is my first time using it too, but I have already ordered mine. Its the stuff they use on a lot of seadoos. Its like 1/4 inch thick or more, and foam like feel. But supposedly very tough, and even when wrt has really good grip. I fish out of my boat. And so in the summer heat this stuff stays much cooler to the touch. Plus insulates against the cold aluminum in the cold and quiets things down. Very easy to clean as well. It seems to be very popular with waterfowl boats.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby AnonymousDuck » Mon May 05, 2014 3:44 pm

Very nice job!
Nothing Runs Like a Lab...
SD/SHR, DixieBrit's Waterdog "Dream" Come True.
Member: Combat Veterans Waterfowl Association.

XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Mon May 05, 2014 11:03 pm

Lots of work done. Have you hit the point where it would have been cheaper and a lot easier to buy new, yet? I have worked on a few projects that were very rewarding and education, but at the end cost me a lot of money and I spent a ton of time on. :thumbsup:
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Next

Return to Washington Duck Hunting