So after this season and using my Grumman for the first year; with the help of some fellow DHC members and after several hunts we have been able to figure out what works and what doesn't work. My dad and I have decided on a plan for the rebuild of the boat.
This will be my first rebuild and after reading countless topics and having many discussions with DHC members and boat builders this is what we have come up with. After last years issues with the existing motor that will be the first thing to go. Next we have decided to open the floor and get rid of all excess things that we don't need, want, or use ie. livewell, center console, extra storage pods, and rear bench seat.
After removing everything I will be plug welding all rivet holes and adding some reinforcement with the ribbing and also adding some floor struts to bolt the new aluminum floor to. All the existing wood will be ripped out and I will be replacing everything with 10 gauge 6061 aluminum. I have the benefit of being a fabricator for a large company and have access to all scrap material and I can also use any shop tools or area I need for personal work in my free time. Also having an experienced engineering team and working with several fab workers that have been in the industry for a very long time I can bounce ideas off of guys and have had some good success so far with how to properly rebuild this boat for what we need.
As you can see we don't have a lot of floor space.
Here's a list of things we hope to accomplish. not in order!
1. remove all wood.
2. open floor plan
3. replace rear bench seat with 2 individual pods with reinforced ribbing and struts to add rigidity to boat.
4. replace floor with 6061 aluminum and rhino line for traction.
5. replace seat tops and bow storage compartment lids with aluminum and make waterproof for dry storage boxes.
6. rhino line all seat tops
7. move gas tank and batteries to bow of boat.
8. add new interior and exterior lighting
9. build blind for boat
10. rebuild bunks for trailer and rewire new LED trailer lights.
11. Paint boat.
12. check all rivets and remove and replace all if any loose rivets.
13. replace motor with tiller and add removable grab bar so operator can stand and have a little extra to hold onto.
14. rebuild transom.
15. gather together essentials to keep stored in boat at all times. ie. first aid kit and all CG required safety equip.
If anyone has any suggestions feel free to shout em out we are welcome to any positive ideas. Thanks guys.
Last edited by tripleb56
on Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's about time!