what kind of motor do you run

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, h2ofowlr, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck

what kind of motor do you run

Postby The Red Zone » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:30 pm

What kind of boat motors do you run? Thinking about maybe getting a mud motor but I don't know between that jet or prop
The Red Zone
hunter

Re: what kind of motor do you run

Postby Tool-Man » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:44 pm

Hours and cases of beer could be consumed on this topic. I personally think you need all 3 types but if that isn't an option, ask yourself where you will spend the most time.

Mud motors are sweet but big and noisy any don't often lend to fishing very well.

Pumps are cool to run shallow but suck crap in the pump a couple times and you might not be digging it.

Props are the best as long as you don't plan to run uncharted in the dark. Screw up a prop or knock am out drive on a rock and you will wish you had one of the other two.

:fingerhead:
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Join WWA to save the sport. Ask me about it. http://www.waduck.org
Tool-Man
hunter

Postby The Red Zone » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:15 pm

so your best bet is getting a jet and taking a minkota troller with ya?
The Red Zone
hunter

Postby The Red Zone » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:17 pm

I hunt both sides of the mountains mainly eastern Washington but when I leave to go to college I'll be on the east side
The Red Zone
hunter

Postby Tealer » Thu May 01, 2014 7:36 am

Pump all the way.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu May 01, 2014 9:22 am

Pump. Works everywhere a prop does and many places a prop doesn't. If you bottom out a pump on a rock you have a lot bigger problems than a busted prop or spun friction sleeve.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Thu May 01, 2014 4:47 pm

Prop. Used to run a pump, but we have to much eel grass in the salt that the pump was terrible. Replaced it with a prop and it goes great.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby brokerbyduck » Fri May 02, 2014 9:45 pm

My short answer is you need a pump and a prop, depending on where you hunt.

For me, a mud motor would be my last choice, mainly because there isn't a lot of mud where I hunt.

I trashed a prop on the first trip I took my boat out last Summer and then made it the whole duck season without putting a scratch on the new one. Well, "I" didn't put a scratch on it anyways. :biggrin:

There are times I wish I had a pump, but overall the prop works if you are careful. In the future, I'll buy a pump for it and probably swap them out as needed. They both have their advantages in certain circumstances.
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby Tealer » Sat May 03, 2014 9:28 am

brokerbyduck wrote:
Well, "I" didn't put a scratch on it anyways. :biggrin:

Guilty. :hammer:
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby washingtonmuley » Sun May 04, 2014 10:13 am

I run a 50hp Honda prop. I hunt mostly open salt so prop is best for me.
washingtonmuley
State Moderator

Postby h2ofowlr » Sun May 04, 2014 10:34 am

If I wasn't so close to the salt, I would go back to the pump. Salt is not a good place for the jet. The cavitation, waves and salt are rough on them. I had two zinks and the salt ate out the impeller and I had to re-sleeve it and upgrade to stainless impeller.
Cut Um!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby The Red Zone » Sun May 04, 2014 11:38 am

anyone here mainly hunt potholes? And is a jet the best thing to use over there?
The Red Zone
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Sun May 04, 2014 6:19 pm

What type and size of boat are you buying a motor for?
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby Tool-Man » Sun May 04, 2014 7:51 pm

The Red Zone wrote:anyone here mainly hunt potholes? And is a jet the best thing to use over there?

I have an inboard pump. I don't have a stomp grate on mine but twice while fishing in the pot holes I had to jump in the water to clear the intake. No big deal in the summer. Not something you would want to do in the winter.

Do you fish at all?

Tool-Man
hunter

Postby The Red Zone » Sun May 04, 2014 9:00 pm

I have a G3 1548 only used for duck hunting.
The Red Zone
hunter

Postby Tool-Man » Sun May 04, 2014 9:12 pm

The Red Zone wrote:I have a G3 1548 only used for duck hunting.

In that situation, if it was me, I'd be very tempted to go with a small mud motor but probably end up with a prop because I'm too cheap.

Tool-Man
hunter

Postby The Red Zone » Mon May 05, 2014 8:48 am

Thinking about Mud buddy mini 25hp or godevil motor
The Red Zone
hunter

Postby Snowgoose1 » Tue May 06, 2014 2:56 pm

Have a 1860 Lowe Roughneck with a 60 bigfoot prop. We get anywhere we want until it gets shallow. Then we switch to a 5 horse kicker prop that on the first tilt notch still pumps water out and will go shallow enough the front will hit bottom before the kicker does. We also use an electric sometimes. We hunt ducks out of the potholes a lot and find that we find all our spots ahead of time go out early when hunting. We run the prop until we get shallow then we can walk the boat in over there the sand is firm. As for the salt we use the same thing go in easy know where it's shallow and then kicker or get out and walk the boat in. We don't walk much either. Been with too many times we got stuff sucked into jet we couldn't get out simple and screws up the trip. We don't go fast where it's shallow. With jets if it's a shallow river area where your fishing it works awesome. Most of the lower river fishing we do for silvers and sturgeon has deep enough water to run the prop (smartly). I think each has it's own specifics and really think the prop keeps better options in the salt. I just could think of a mud motor around hear for what we do. I do have a buddy who has one and he is tired of the lack of control and it's difficult to fish with for trolling, but great in shallows.
Snowgoose1
hunter

Postby greatwhite » Wed May 07, 2014 7:41 pm

If you are going to be running in sand, you don't want a mud motor. The sand will chew right through a mudmotor prop. Also, if you are running hard bottom, you are going to probably want a longtail over a surface drive. Surface drives excel in mud and are generally faster, but longtails usually outshine in hard bottom. Also, surface drives work best on a true mud boat. A boat that is a true flat bottom. Not that it won't work fine on your boat, but you won't see the numbers that others guys can get with the same motor. Also, keep in mind if reverse is important to you, only gatortail and pro-drive surface drives have reverse. Stay away from the mud buddy surface drive with reverse. Their other models work good though.
greatwhite
hunter

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Thu May 08, 2014 8:05 am

I've got hours of reading and research into this very same topic. I am an Dry Side guy and somewhat new Waterfowl Addict. I can't seem to get squared away on the subject to find the perfect "All Around" rig. Or even the All Around Duck Boat. I keep drooling over 1860s of some flavor.

Trying to turn one into a summer time fisher as well as a fall and winter duck slayer seems to be the problem that nobody can solve. I've looked at Tunnel Hulls, Jet Tunnel hulls, hulls with pods....

Mind you I have 0 experience. But I am leaning toward some type of modified V hull with 3.5 to 6 deg rise, and a tunnel of some sort to be the Ultimate PNW do all boat. Maybe not PNW, as I am nowhere near the Salt, but an Inland Empire Do All boat.

But this season I may have to settle for a Lay Out by Four Rivers and a 7hp++ long tail. Probably kill way more birds, but it will just be me and the dog. Maybe better that way anyhow.

Most of the Die Hard pump guys say there are minimal issues using the pump for 90% of the time. Fresh water lakes, rivers, etc.
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Sat May 10, 2014 11:04 pm

My next motor set up will be a prop with a hydraulic jack plate and a shallow water intake. Same set up they use in southern Texas. It's all sand down their and works good.

If your running in a grassy mucky bottom, mud motor or prop. Rocky shallow area use a pump.
Cut Um!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby The Red Zone » Sun May 11, 2014 9:35 am

I do fish in it but not a ton. In the future I will be fishing more mainly kokanee and bass
The Red Zone
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting