Decoy Casting Weekend Update - FUBAR Fixed

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

Decoy Casting Weekend Update - FUBAR Fixed

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu May 08, 2014 4:27 pm

As most here know we are holding a decoy casting weekend at Bknilvr's place on May 17th and 18th. I have the fine bead head foam in hand for the folks that ordered it. That process went very smoothly. The medium bead body foam order on the other hand has not gone smoothly at all. I had worked with Insulfoam to get an order for medium bead made for this week and pick up next week. I was assured that it would be no problem by one of their salesmen over a month and a half ago. When I asked a bunch of questions he assured me he had coordinated the order and things would be fine.

We all know about the best laid plans of mice and men. I called my guy a couple times to check in over the last month and a half to verify we were good. He assured me that Insulfoam had a plan. I got the number for the ordering department guy and gave him a call yesterday. He asked me what I was talking about and told me they don't sell small quantity. Oh CRAP! There is no way for me to get the medium bead foam here from here by next weekend from the midwest. It will also cost me almost $5 a lb shipped. So I am now between a rock and hard place with not many options.

The sales guy from Insulfoam called me back today and repeated the management call after assurances that they would not sell me the foam. He gave me a number and told me he had a guy who would honor the order at the original price $3 a lb. Well I knew that was crap from the start and figured the price would be higher due to short time frames and unexpected work for the new company to come up with the medium bead foam we need for the weekend.

I called up the new guy and he has been incredibly helpful. Originally his foam supplier did not want to take on the smaller orders. This guy is out of the Seattle area and often supplies smaller quantities through the major supplier and his a corporate agreement with them. He got close to the $3 a lb for the foam, but I have to pay shipping to get it to Vancouver, WA from Idaho. The price per lb is coming out at 3.75 a lb for the delivery. I will be calling all the folks with orders and chatting with them to clear things up and make sure they know the status. I also want to confirm with them the quantity and pricing and their willingness to move forward.

Downside here is less foam per person than expected. Toss in my having egg on my face for relying on repeated promises from Insulfoam. On the upside the Insulfoam guy hooked us up with a supplier that is cheaper than anyone shipping it to us would be and the pricing is $0.75 a lb more instead of $2.00 a lb more. Another upside is the new guy is willing to look at offering smaller order quantities to purchasers on the west coast. This means we now have a supplier from a source in Idaho, vs Ohio & Pennsylvania. Steve is going to get back to me on minimum order sizes he can take on both fine and medium bead foam. If this all pans out the west coast will have a local supplier which will be huge improvement on shipping costs and times from what we have had to do in the past.

Those planning to attend, keep an eye on your phones tonight. I will be calling you to confirm the information and that you want to move forward with your orders. I will also be sending PM's here on the same issue
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Re: Decoy Casting Weekend Update - FUBAR Fixed

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri May 09, 2014 10:43 am

Ok,

I chatted with some of the guys ordering foam last night and got enough confirmations that things were good that I put the order in today. During the conversation with Steve on the phone we worked out that I will be making payment on the foam at the pick up point which is now Marysville, Wa. The supplier is going to be picking the bead up early next week on his trip to Idaho to visit the plant. He will be bringing the order back with him to Bellingham. He plans to drive down to deliver it on Friday the 16th in Marysville.

There is more good news for local decoy makers. Steve is going to work up some costs and figure out shipping expenses. He is going to be deciding what the lowest quantity order he will sell here soon. We discussed 25 lb's or 50 lbs being his lowest quantity that will allow a profit. Hopefully he can make 25 lb orders work so west coast casters can order enough to run smaller groups of bodies if they don't need a huge number. Either way, we have a local body and head foam supplier now. As things get ironed out on that information, I will pass it along to all the local decoy makers and others on the west coast outside of Washington that I know.

That headache is now resolved and the weekend should go off without a hitch.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting