Decoy Casting Weekend - This is It

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

Re: Decoy Casting Weekend - This is It

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu May 22, 2014 8:40 am

I will be back to casting bodies over the long weekend. I cleaned up the threads on the top opening on the Pintail body mold. I need to cast 48 of those bodies and plan to get that work done over the weekend. Then it is time to start cleaning the flash off all the body and head joints, filing, sanding, and prep for keels and Restle Coating. I should have all the bodies and heads I have done restle coated and base color painted inside two weeks. Then the long process of detail painting begins. Toss in carvind a few bodies down to make Buffle Head bodies, and a couple of Merganser bodies to get molds made out of and it will be a very busy two weeks.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby StanwoodSpartan » Thu May 22, 2014 5:53 pm

Sounds busy... I molded a few heads by myself today. Hopefully I will get more time to do it tomorrow, and finish off the wood duck head decoys. I still need to get a bigger pot for bodies, then I will crank those out.

Clay, can you send me the list you made of the molds along with the contact info for the guy up in Bellingham? Thanks!!
Shoot a goose, save a plane!
StanwoodSpartan
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri May 23, 2014 8:15 am

I will get you the info on the molds shortly. I have the list at home.

I am casting steadily in the evenings after work and will cast more over the weekend. I am presently casting Pintail / Widgeon / OS bodies along with restle diver heads. I plan to toss the small goose / magnum puddler body mold into the mix tonight. I need 24 of those bodies. 12 for snows, and 12 for cacklers to add to my goose spread. Eventually I want to have 3 dozens snows, 2 dozen cacklers, and a mix of 5 to 6 dozen larger geese to use as a field spread. The foamers will be a lot bulkier than shells but I am fine with that. I have a Herters 81 mold coming which will make intermediate goose sizes that will fill the hole between the small goose body, and super magnum goose body molds I have.

Contact info is Universal Plastic Products - Steve Nelson - Phone # (206) 550-3110. He has the buckets of foam at 29 lbs per bucket. He will sell in as low a quantity as 25 lbs. We paid $3.75 a lb for the foam with us picking it up. That is cheaper than having it shipped from IASCO TESCO. Normally you pay $112.85 to have 25 lbs of foam shipped from IT.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Yeller Dawg » Sat May 24, 2014 5:32 pm

Looks like a lot of fun. You guys on the west side have it going on ... casting weekend this month, OWF next month!!!!

Tho the guy that rolled the sidewalks up over here was humming a catchy tune last night. :lol3:
Yeller Dawg
hunter

Previous

Return to Washington Duck Hunting