Large decoy spread for Columbia River

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr, washingtonmuley

Large decoy spread for Columbia River

Postby Action » Mon May 26, 2014 5:34 pm

I will be mainly targeting mallards and running 50-100 decoys on any given day on the Columbia River. My plan is to use mostly mallard decoys and will sprinkle in Gadwall and Wigeon for a more balanced look in a big spread. I haven't been a l fan in the past of GHG however they seem to offer a number of different head positions, feeders, skimmers ect. Also have really looked hard at the Dakota line and feel they are a good looking decoy that will last for many years. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Action
hunter

Re: Large decoy spread for Columbia River

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Mon May 26, 2014 7:35 pm

Action ... where you runnin this spread?
: Waterfowl Junkie & Host of "Pacific Flyway Radio"

Ragged Outdoors Pro Staff Drinking Team
Killians Irish Red Pro Staff Drinking Team
Famous Dave's BBQ Rib Tip Platter Phat Boy Team
BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon May 26, 2014 7:41 pm

50 to 100 is not a big spread. If your hunting the west side dump the mallards and focus on Pintail, Widgeon, and Gaddy's with a few mallards. East side make it a mix of puddlers and divers in some areas and just divers in others.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Action » Mon May 26, 2014 7:59 pm

BigBlondeBirdDog wrote:Action ... where you runnin this spread?

Not to be vague but Wenatchee to Stevenson WA but mainly the Tri-City area.
Action
hunter

Postby Honkerblaster » Mon May 26, 2014 8:02 pm

Hey guys new here. What exactly is your question action? I'm I'm paso and mainly hunt the Columbia and I'm glad to offer some advice
Honkerblaster
hunter

Postby Action » Mon May 26, 2014 8:26 pm

Honkerblaster wrote:Hey guys new here. What exactly is your question action? I'm I'm paso and mainly hunt the Columbia and I'm glad to offer some advice

Actually I have quite a few questions since I will be hunting deep water from a boat this year which is something I have not done before. In the past hunting with a boat was just for transportation. However this year I bought a new boat/blind combo and will be hunting deeper water for mallards and geese. I have the goose decoys figured out but duck decoys I am looking for a nice spread that complements a raft of birds in the middle of the river.
Action
hunter

Postby Honkerblaster » Mon May 26, 2014 8:44 pm

Action wrote:
Honkerblaster wrote:Hey guys new here. What exactly is your question action? I'm I'm paso and mainly hunt the Columbia and I'm glad to offer some advice

Actually I have quite a few questions since I will be hunting deep water from a boat this year which is something I have not done before. In the past hunting with a boat was just for transportation. However this year I bought a new boat/blind combo and will be hunting deeper water for mallards and geese. I have the goose decoys figured out but duck decoys I am looking for a nice spread that complements a raft of birds in the middle of the river.

So what is exactly your question/questions?
Honkerblaster
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Mon May 26, 2014 9:03 pm

Coots brother, lots and lots of coots! Once the coots show up in numbers they can act like a black hole that sucks any living duck to them. If you are gonna try to hunt open water and run 100 dekes, I'd consider 60 coots and the rest a mix of widgeon and mallards. It would be a pain to run that many in deep water unless they are on long lines but it would be effective from mid season on, IF you can hide the boat.
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby Action » Mon May 26, 2014 9:18 pm

brokerbyduck wrote:Coots brother, lots and lots of coots! Once the coots show up in numbers they can act like a black hole that sucks any living duck to them. If you are gonna try to hunt open water and run 100 dekes, I'd consider 60 coots and the rest a mix of widgeon and mallards. It would be a pain to run that many in deep water unless they are on long lines but it would be effective from mid season on, IF you can hide the boat.

Always willing to try something new and if I can pull off hiding the boat I could be golden. I have some spots that I really don't think it will be a problem and others I will just have to try and see. This year I will be taking quite a bit of time off to chase fowl mid week and on weekends. Really looking at getting after the ducks over water more that I have in years past.
Action
hunter

Postby Honkerblaster » Mon May 26, 2014 9:56 pm

Action wrote:
brokerbyduck wrote:Coots brother, lots and lots of coots! Once the coots show up in numbers they can act like a black hole that sucks any living duck to them. If you are gonna try to hunt open water and run 100 dekes, I'd consider 60 coots and the rest a mix of widgeon and mallards. It would be a pain to run that many in deep water unless they are on long lines but it would be effective from mid season on, IF you can hide the boat.

Always willing to try something new and if I can pull off hiding the boat I could be golden. I have some spots that I really don't think it will be a problem and others I will just have to try and see. This year I will be taking quite a bit of time off to chase fowl mid week and on weekends. Really looking at getting after the ducks over water more that I have in years past.

I have heard of coots being a good decoy i have never tried them. In my experience my goose decoys have been my best duck decoy. They are large and can be seen from a long ways and it seems puddle ducks find comfort around geese. I have witnessed on multiple occasions flocks of mallards passing by sitting mallards to land with geese. I have had combo set ups with mallards on one side and Canada's on the other. Everytime I have done this, the mallards have ignored the duck decoys and landed into the geese, regardless of wind direction. It could be of multiple different reasons I'm not sure but it works for me. Maybe through out a few dozen goose decoys as well? Works very well on big water in my experience at least :beer:
Honkerblaster
hunter

Postby blackrock » Tue May 27, 2014 7:52 am

Layout boat, great big decoys!
blackrock
hunter

Postby blackrock » Tue May 27, 2014 8:03 am

image.jpg
They see these from a mile away. Sucks ducks and geese in like a vacuum. Hide in a layout boat or coffin blind. Birds see boat blinds and they are leery of coming in to spreads by islands and shorelines. That's why they raft up on open water, it's their safe place......
blackrock
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Fri May 30, 2014 9:54 am

blackrock wrote:
image.jpg
They see these from a mile away. Sucks ducks and geese in like a vacuum. Hide in a layout boat or coffin blind. Birds see boat blinds and they are leery of coming in to spreads by islands and shorelines. That's why they raft up on open water, it's their safe place......

Are these all shells on stakes in shallow water? It can work well if your not fighting the tides.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby blackrock » Fri May 30, 2014 10:37 am

No they are G&H Supermags turned in to floaters. Run in series of 2 or 3 on 12-15 foot long anchor
Iine,3-10 pound weights depending on wind and or current. Tide wouldn't matter.
blackrock
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting