how many dekes?

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, h2ofowlr, brokerbyduck

how many dekes?

Postby strickland » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:42 pm

I was wondering how many decoys you guys run? I'm asking because I'm wondering how many decoys I should get. I'm planning on getting 3-4 dozen again x decoys next month. I normally hunt small ponds but do venture out onto the snake a few tikes a yr and have a few spots on the Columbia I used to hunt and will be going back. Thanks guys
strickland
hunter

Re: how many dekes?

Postby eagles2069 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:38 am

There is a thread just a couple below that really has some great info on it. I think everyone has their own preference. Small ponds you shouldn't really need that many, especially if you have to pack them a ways. That being said I love decoys so I own more than I will ever need haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eagles2069
hunter

Postby vandeman17 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:37 am

It really depends on the setting and time of year. There are times I will toss out a few dozen and there are other times where we have done really well over 6. Its more about being where the birds want to be and also adding motion to your spread. I would rather only have a few decoys that I can add motion to then 6 dozen that are stagnant of a still pond.
"Coming right at us! A pair of singles!"
vandeman17
hunter

Postby getemducks » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:03 pm

I usually hunt over a couple dozen mallard decoys with a couple dozen canada decoys even on big water. And will adjust accordingly depending on location. I always have at least a half dozen Canada's with my duck spread regardless how small of a hole im hunting. They are highly visible from down low or up high and ducks seem to find safety in geese. You can also hear geese way further then you can hear ducks. My best duck decoy is goose decoys and my best long range duck call is my goose call. If they are looking for a place to sit down you just need to grab their attention. You can run a half dozen decoys if you are in the right spot. If you are running traffic you need to be seen and heard and hope they are interested enough to take a look. They won't come if they don't know your spread is there unless you are on the X.
Mini Goose Decoys - Inventor
"Gets the Longnecks closer"

Foamy Log Blind@ Prostaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a LOG!"

I wish I knew half as much, and shot half as many birds as the guys on DHC claim they do...
getemducks
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:00 pm

For Divers I hunt over 36 to 72 depending on where I hunt and what part of season it is. All on long lines by the way.

For ducks I often hunt over 12 to 24 decoys on larger water spots. Small water like a pond, 1 to 8 decoys.

If I am mixing geese in on non-goose days it will be no more than 6. If it is a goose day you might see 12 to 24 geese depending on what I am seeing in my area at the time.

Late in the season I dramatically reduce the number of decoys I use and do very well.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting