Taxidermy question

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

Taxidermy question

Postby ohtajj » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:08 pm

My brother knows a guy who does taxidermy as a hobby so I decided to get my hen canvasback done with the hopes of shooting a nice drake to go with her some day. I honestly don't know much about what a good mount should look like, so my question is, what do you think of the work and if I do get a drake would you take it to the same guy to do for $35?

[attachment=-1]IMG_20140621_183956_621.jpg[/attachment]

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1403402403879.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1403402304154.jpg
ohtajj
hunter

Re: Taxidermy question

Postby bulldawgsierra » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:21 pm

I have def seen worse
bulldawgsierra
hunter

Taxidermy question

Postby eagles2069 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:29 pm

It's not the best but I agree I have seen worse. The thing about taxidermy is you really do get what you pay for. There are some great taxidermist in the state and some of the sponsors on the site that really make mounts come to life. If your happy with it stick with it but check out some mounts done by birdman studios it may change your mind about who you want to send your next trophy to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eagles2069
hunter

Postby Tool-Man » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:15 pm

I like the idea of mounting it on the van like that. :lol3:
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Join WWA to save the sport. Ask me about it. http://www.waduck.org
Tool-Man
hunter

Postby ohtajj » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:21 pm

Tool-Man wrote:I like the idea of mounting it on the van like that. :lol3:

haha... I thought I might get comment or two about setting it on the car, haven't had time to hang em up yet.
Thanks for the input guys

ohtajj
hunter

Postby northern hunter » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:59 pm

The idea of getting a bird or anything done is to make it look alive, And I dont want to sound like an ass but that does not really look alive to me, I think it is something with the head and neck the rest does not look bad. I use Willow creek tax up in Colville you might check him out as well.
northern hunter
hunter

Postby ohtajj » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:57 am

northern hunter wrote:The idea of getting a bird or anything done is to make it look alive, And I dont want to sound like an ass but that does not really look alive to me, I think it is something with the head and neck the rest does not look bad. I use Willow creek tax up in Colville you might check him out as well.

No offense taken. I wouldn't have had her mounted if I had to pay even close to full price for it. But I figured for $35 I'd take a chance. And like I said, I really don't know how they're supposed to look so thank you guys for the feedback.

ohtajj
hunter

Postby ohtajj » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:59 am

Here is the snow goose I had done with the Can... I know I know, its a juvenile, but it was my first and like I said hard to beat the price

ohtajj
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:01 am

When you shoot something you want to have mounted, take it to somebody who knows what they are doing. For $35 it doesn't look like he's done many birds, taken any classes, or studied anatomy all that well.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:02 am

When you shoot something you want to have mounted, take it to somebody who knows what they are doing. For $35 it doesn't look like he's done many birds, taken any classes, or studied anatomy all that well.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:18 pm

I think you got your $35.00 out of the deal and your friend got the chance to practice on a few more mounts so everybody comes out a winner.

Everybody has different standards when it comes to taxidermy, some guys like them cheap, others don't.

The question I would ask if I were you is this.

Did either of these birds look as good as I remembered they looked when I shot them?

If the answer is no, you have a couple of bad mounts on your hands.

I have a few mounts, some good and some not so good. The mounts I have that I was disappointed with when I picked them up years ago, still bug me every time I look at them today. That's not really the point of having a bird or animal mounted. You should be able to look upon it as a thing of beauty, remember the hunt and be able to proudly show it off to your buddies.

Take a look at some of these pics and decide for yourself if you should take your next trophy to a pro or back to your buddy.

Snow Goose http://www.waterfowler.net/Artistic/goose_mounts.php
Canvasback http://www.waterfowler.net/Artistic/diver_duck_mounts.php
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:06 pm

Very well put Broker ...

My .02 is this, ... I have 5 mounted divers. I can remember everyone and had them mounted in the direction they were coming into the spread. Now, keeping that in mind, I will say that my Canvasback drake is the worst out of the 5. By that I mean, its the most immature, and not the best specimen ... Why did I have it mounted then? It was my 1st Can ... No matter what ... It was MY trophy. Like Broker said, everyone has their own version of a trophy.

While I see the Pro's & Con's of a good mount versus a Cheap mount ... When I'm 80 years old, no longer able to duck hunt, probably health failing ... I wanna look at that Can, and remember that hunt, and the way that bird was taken and with who in the blind.

If you feel its a trophy brother, enough to have it mounted ... just don't think $35 is doing it justice.
: Waterfowl Junkie & Host of "Pacific Flyway Radio"

Ragged Outdoors Pro Staff Drinking Team
Killians Irish Red Pro Staff Drinking Team
Famous Dave's BBQ Rib Tip Platter Phat Boy Team
BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby blackrock » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:03 am

image.jpg
I also recommend Birdman Studios. Todd Huffman us a master, look at this Barrows he did for my son!
blackrock
hunter

Postby Tealer » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:09 am

Good mounts are the only way to go, they are with you forever. I don't mind donating birds for guys to learn on but I'm not going to pay for them or want them back.
A bad cell pic of my last mount. I think Leon did a great job.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby ohtajj » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:08 am

Thanks for all the replies fellas. Those are some fine looking mounts, and if and when I shoot something I really want to put in the wall it looks like I will just have to shell out the cash. Thanks again for all the input

ohtajj
hunter

Postby blackrock » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:21 pm

image.jpg
This is what you are striving for, mounts that look alive! Buddy's bull Canada was done by Todd as well. One great thing about Todd is you don't even pay him until the bird is done, and then you have to approve a detailed photo of it on his website before you get charged. Gives you time to save up the money. Pretty much takes the unpleasant surprise and poor quality mount out of the equation! Good luck and have fun finding that next top notch bird.....
blackrock
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:39 pm

blackrock wrote:
image.jpg
I also recommend Birdman Studios. Todd Huffman us a master, look at this Barrows he did for my son!

That's a great pose for a GoldenEye!
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby blackrock » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:50 pm

brokerbyduck wrote:
blackrock wrote:
image.jpg

That's a great pose for a GoldenEye!
Yes, I agree, it's one of our favorite mounts. I felt like he really nailed it, looks just like the cold winter day of that hunt and we still talk about that morning and relive the hunt! Brings back the look of excitement and pride when I almost went over my waders in that frozen creek, holding up one of buddy's dream ducks,for his first good look. Awesome for us as we usually don't see them.
blackrock
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting