Stop beating your dog, it's your fault and you know it!

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, brokerbyduck, washingtonmuley, h2ofowlr

Stop beating your dog, it's your fault and you know it!

Postby brokerbyduck » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:24 pm

Yeah I know we all can be frustrated by our gun dogs from time to time. It never seems to fail that they are "automatic" when they go with us alone but the first time you bring a buddy to hunt over your well trained dog, they turn into knuckleheads. Some of that can be avoided by working with your dogs prior to the season.

Now is a great time to start working with your dog to get him/her tuned up for the season.

Who's been working with their dogs over the summer? Post some videos of how your pup is working out for the rest of us!

I love the dog work almost as much as shooting decoying birds, I can't be the only one?
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=764993380188415&set=vb.100000332813451&type=2&theater
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Re: Stop beating your dog, it's your fault and you know it!

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:00 am

: My problem is, or was that my first bird dog ... was a machine! Coop was my best bird dog I ever had or probably will. Unfair I know to all my future bird dogs, and my current black lab Gauge.

With Coop, ... he just GOT it ... easily at that. Now don't get me wrong, Gauge is a very good duck dog, REALLY strong swimmer ... GREAT with my kids, easy going. His problem, or for that matter ... OUR PROBLEM ... is that he gets so freakin excited that he whines ... some days not alot, ... some days a TON! Poor training on my part, I know ... Read books, ... watched YouTube videos on how to break it ... Thought I did last off-season ... but he's figured out that training is training, ... and hunting is hunting. He's going to pick up a "dummy" in training ... BIRD during the season.
: Waterfowl Junkie & Host of "Pacific Flyway Radio"

Ragged Outdoors Pro Staff Drinking Team
Killians Irish Red Pro Staff Drinking Team
Famous Dave's BBQ Rib Tip Platter Phat Boy Team
BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:12 am

BigBlondeBirdDog wrote:: My problem is, or was that my first bird dog ... was a machine! Coop was my best bird dog I ever had or probably will. Unfair I know to all my future bird dogs, and my current black lab Gauge.

With Coop, ... he just GOT it ... easily at that. Now don't get me wrong, Gauge is a very good duck dog, REALLY strong swimmer ... GREAT with my kids, easy going. His problem, or for that matter ... OUR PROBLEM ... is that he gets so freakin excited that he whines ... some days not alot, ... some days a TON! Poor training on my part, I know ... Read books, ... watched YouTube videos on how to break it ... Thought I did last off-season ... but he's figured out that training is training, ... and hunting is hunting. He's going to pick up a "dummy" in training ... BIRD during the season.

Man, that has to be THE most annoying thing in a duck blind. My buddys dog does the same thing, drives him and me both nuts!
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:03 pm

: Nelli, ... I'm here to tell ya ... Completely agree. So, this year, gonna take him early season on the youth hunt, ... and we MAY have a few dry runs ... Bought a new collar, and I've figured out that my dog runs BEST ... on a half battery. When he's fuly charged / ready to go ... Boy whines like a girl ... 1/2 battery, ... after the 2nd or so retrieve, ... He's much calmer.

But back on Brokers original comment ... New dog .... TRAINER ... not me ... someone who knows what the hell they are doing!

BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby vandeman17 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:53 am

My dog whining used to bother me but it doesn't any more. I take it a as a sign that not only are they as excited as I am but they are anxious to start making retrieves. I can think of far bigger issues then a dog whining in the blind. The only time I find it a problem is if you have a bunch of birds in your decoys a few minutes before shooting time that you are hoping to get after.
"Coming right at us! A pair of singles!"
vandeman17
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:06 pm

Bella and I work on something every day. She looks forward to the training sessions as part of her daily schedule. If we skip a day she keeps coming to me with that look they all get when they want something. All her training sessions end with a bunch of fun bumpers to help build her health and stamina. We work a lot of increasing exercising into her program until season starts. We continue with training and tuning up different things during season on weekdays when we are not hunting.

Now that it is getting hot out we spend the training time on the river right before dark and work on water retrieves, marks, and blinds so we can keep her cooled off while doing the training and exercising.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby AnonymousDuck » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:59 am

Working your dog all year round is the best thing you can do, and not just the advanced stuff, but going back over basic's. Getting involved in HRC events for fun is another great activity you can do, just don't take it to seriously and have fun. We ask a lot of our dogs, so keep them in shape, feed them healthy and most of all have fun...two 15 min sessions a day is all you really need, the rest should be fun. Good luck with them pups! :smile:
Nothing Runs Like a Lab...
SD/SHR, DixieBrit's Waterdog "Dream" Come True.
Member: Combat Veterans Waterfowl Association.

XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Postby labsforme » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:10 am

For those with noise problems you can't cure it with collar pressure. It will make it worse. There are some very good threads on retrievertraining.net on this. Have fun training and hunting.

Jeff G
labsforme
hunter

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:53 pm

Been doing some reading ... 10 Tips to Prepare for the season

http://www.ducks.org/hunting/retriever- ... trieverRHS

Breaking Bad Behaviour

http://www.ducks.org/hunting/retriever- ... vior/page3

BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby Action » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:17 pm

Great thread and a few points to add to your training for this time of year.

Do not over exert you dog during training. Pro athletes get a sideline break so your retriever should also.
Keep them in feathers so they stay birdy. This should not take over work with bumpers but to excite them.
Dogs new to boating get them out and accustom to the boat. (A rule to live by is the dog is one of the last to get out of the truck and the first back in).

Action
hunter

Postby AnonymousDuck » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:26 am

Working your dog twice a day, if you have the time is best, no more than 15 to 20 min of training is needed. After that throw some fun bumpers for the exercise. Also try zip tying some duck wings on a bumper, I like to use the duck bumpers for this. Use them in tall grass, they love it! Also try it at sunset to simulate early morning conditions. I continually experiment with new ideas and it's always a payoff when the season opens and never stop training. Dogs have bad days too, if what you're doing isn't working one day, just back up a few days and work back into it. Mix up OB with your training, it's always good to have a well mannered dog.
Nothing Runs Like a Lab...
SD/SHR, DixieBrit's Waterdog "Dream" Come True.
Member: Combat Veterans Waterfowl Association.

XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:36 pm

I have zero tolerance for a whining dog, or a dog that barks for no reason. I nipped Bella's whining early on. When she was little and started in with the whining I would gently grasp her upper jaw on both sides and give a hush command. It only took a few times and a few times using firm but non-painful pressure for her to get the message.

If you let it become a habit, good luck fixing it! I still get the occasional whine here and there. She gets a hush command and that is the end of it.

I know a guy who has a dog that whines. That his lab, it often helps to let the dog run around in the decoys as they are being set. It also helps to throw a few bumpers and get the dog warmed up before shooting light. It cuts down on the whining quite a bit.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting