Skagit bay/delta

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, h2ofowlr, brokerbyduck

Skagit bay/delta

Postby KillerElite » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:33 pm

So I grew up navigating the New River which flows into the Salton Sea in California. It's a fair sized birds foot delta and a bit tricky to get through at 0300 in the morning. My question is... Aside from the obvious tides, what is are my biggest dangers out there? I'll be loading the boat up in the next week or two to make a run out there just to get a feel for the area. Any info or tips are much appreciated.
WHIDBEYWATERFOWLER on Instagram
KillerElite
hunter

Re: Skagit bay/delta

Postby brokerbyduck » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:51 am

I've only hunted it a few times but if you are familiar with tidal deltas, I don't think you'll find a lot of surprises. Trim the motor up, watch the tides and bring along another dude capable of manhandling the boat if you get stuck.

That area gets a lot of pressure, the spots near the ramp and easy to get to will be contested, scout accordingly.

Take a good look at the regs, there are shell restrictions in some areas and some areas you can't hunt.

A call to the local warden would be a good idea as well.
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby KillerElite » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:58 am

Thank you for the heads up. It appears to me the biggest issue is ensuring you not breaking the regs. I'm not always the best at interpreting exactly what the regs say, but I won't be that guy stuck on a mud flat at low tide.
KillerElite
hunter

Postby KillerElite » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:59 am

Btw, love your sig!
KillerElite
hunter

Postby Honkerblaster » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:23 pm

Avoid the crowds, read the regs (little things change every year), mostly be safe! Can be very good hunting!
Honkerblaster
hunter

Postby jgoetz » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:53 am

The tidal changes will get you in a hurry on the Skagit if you aren't prepared. Sounds like you have good experience though. Pack a bag in anticipation to spend a day in the boat in an emergency. Happens more often down there than you would think. Like others have said. That area gets POUNDED! But if you are willing to put in the work you can get a good hunt in. Best of luck.
Talk crap, get hit!
jgoetz
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:49 am

Every time I have been out there, I see someone that gets stuck and spends the day on the flats. Read the tide tables, learn where to pull the boat if can only hunt specific times. This allows you to leave when you want. I park the big boat in the channel and drag the pod to where I want to hunt. Later in the season they flare off big structures and they have been sky busted daily from them. Watch wind conditions or you can sink your boat in a hurry. Rescued people last season that sunk their boat and lost their gear.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby T-Bone » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:59 am

I heavily suggest you attend a meeting of the NW Chapter of WA Waterfowl. They hold a monthly meeting in Conway. In the past, they would do a pre-season tour for people interested in hunting the Skagit Delta / Skagit Wildlife Area:

http://www.waduck.org/members.htm
T-Bone
hunter

Postby KillerElite » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:35 pm

T-Bone wrote:I heavily suggest you attend a meeting of the NW Chapter of WA Waterfowl. They hold a monthly meeting in Conway. In the past, they would do a pre-season tour for people interested in hunting the Skagit Delta / Skagit Wildlife Area:

It's funny that you mentioned that. I signed up about a week ago and I plan on going to the meeting on August 12th out there in Conway.
KillerElite
hunter

Postby Tool-Man » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:17 am

KillerElite wrote:
T-Bone wrote:I heavily suggest you attend a meeting of the NW Chapter of WA Waterfowl. They hold a monthly meeting in Conway. In the past, they would do a pre-season tour for people interested in hunting the Skagit Delta / Skagit Wildlife Area:

It's funny that you mentioned that. I signed up about a week ago and I plan on going to the meeting on August 12th out there in Conway.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Join WWA to save the sport. Ask me about it. http://www.waduck.org
Tool-Man
hunter

Postby skagitduckwacker » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:19 pm

I can tell you this: there are a lot less spoonies up here, the Skagit area doesn't have 87 strains of the clap in it, and as has been said before watch out for the tides. Also, there are area's that are similar. There are mud flats that you can disappear under just like the Salton Sea if not careful. You don't just want to step out of the boat or off a bank unless you know what the bottom is doing. Some spots are sandy and will support you pretty well while others have a very similar gooey black muck that you are used to hunting the New River or Wister area.
Duck dogs go to heaven too.
skagitduckwacker
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:18 am

It should be a good opener this year. Lots of birds in the bay. More specs in the area than I have seen for a few years, but they typically are the first to pass through the area and leave as well. Good luck to those that seek out the O'Dark 30 combat mission on the 11th. :thumbsup:
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Return to Washington Duck Hunting