Public land blinds

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: brokerbyduck, washingtonmuley, h2ofowlr

Public land blinds

Postby Skeeter99 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:02 pm

Was wondering if building blinds on public is ok? Always see them and have fixed some up but wasn't sure If the state made them or another hunter. Figured other hunters wouldn't mind a nice new blind out at some spots I was thinking of placing one this summer but was curious if you could get in trouble for it?
Skeeter99
hunter

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: Public land blinds

Postby aaronoto » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:13 pm

If it's on WDFW land no pit blinds, no cutting trees, or attached wire/staples/nails to trees, otherwise it's OK but they state all non-natural material must be removed at the end of the season.
aaronoto
hunter

Postby Jonathan Knopp » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:22 am

Just a warning, many hunters strongly dislike permanent or semi-permanent blinds on public lands. I went through and put up a few in my favorite hunting spots last year and almost every time I went out to hunt them without fail they had been torn down or completely destroyed. As the season went on I talked to a few hunters in the area about it and realized that quite a few people feel that permanent blinds, no matter how well camouflaged, decrease their chances of success. I still plan to put up a couple semi-permanent blinds this next fall in locations that are less likely to get torn down but wanted to warn you that the chances of you showing up to your blind and having it already destroyed can be very high.
"The only easy day was yesterday."
Jonathan Knopp
FNG

Postby eagles2069 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:37 pm

Jonathan Knopp wrote:Just a warning, many hunters strongly dislike permanent or semi-permanent blinds on public lands. I went through and put up a few in my favorite hunting spots last year and almost every time I went out to hunt them without fail they had been torn down or completely destroyed. As the season went on I talked to a few hunters in the area about it and realized that quite a few people feel that permanent blinds, no matter how well camouflaged, decrease their chances of success. I still plan to put up a couple semi-permanent blinds this next fall in locations that are less likely to get torn down but wanted to warn you that the chances of you showing up to your blind and having it already destroyed can be very high.

I dislike permanent blinds but not because it lessens my chance of success. To me it's a huge flag saying "Hey everybody this the best spot to hunt so please hunt right here!" I can build a temp blind or use a layout blind pretty much anywhere so I would stay away from permanent blinds. Also I have never torn down a permanent blind but I avoid them.
eagles2069
hunter

Postby Fullchoke132 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:49 pm

Aaron is right. I'd get with your local WWA chapter as they do a lot of that.
If it's a hidden hard to reach spot that you know doesn't see many hunters I wouldn't be too worried about it getting tore down.
Also consider contacting the area manager of the WMA, some are pretty helpful and are great to work with. I've spoken with some who have been a big help and in some spots gave us free run to turn overrun land into good habitat.
Fullchoke132
hunter

Postby Skeeter99 » Wed May 10, 2017 10:21 pm

Thanks for the input everyone :thumbsup:
Skeeter99
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Wed May 17, 2017 9:21 am

eagles2069 wrote:
Jonathan Knopp wrote:Just a warning, many hunters strongly dislike permanent or semi-permanent blinds on public lands. I went through and put up a few in my favorite hunting spots last year and almost every time I went out to hunt them without fail they had been torn down or completely destroyed. As the season went on I talked to a few hunters in the area about it and realized that quite a few people feel that permanent blinds, no matter how well camouflaged, decrease their chances of success. I still plan to put up a couple semi-permanent blinds this next fall in locations that are less likely to get torn down but wanted to warn you that the chances of you showing up to your blind and having it already destroyed can be very high.

I dislike permanent blinds but not because it lessens my chance of success. To me it's a huge flag saying "Hey everybody this the best spot to hunt so please hunt right here!" I can build a temp blind or use a layout blind pretty much anywhere so I would stay away from permanent blinds. Also I have never torn down a permanent blind but I avoid them.

Permanent blind is the best way to get everyone to hunt that spot. They gravitate to it and it is a first come first serve basis. Unless you want to get out at midnight to get to the spot that gets hunted daily, I wouldn't do it. I like to bring in portable blinds, and dress them up for the hunt, then pull them. Makes the hunting better and you may not have to fight for the spot each time.
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Return to Washington Duck Hunting