Last days of duck season

The eastern side of the nation has some of the best hunting. Share your West Virginia duck hunting tips, tactics, insights and information.

Last days of duck season

Postby Z.herndon » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:32 pm

Well I have been scouting pretty hard the last week and I have checked all of the spots that I know of. Greenbottom in Huntington had about 50 geese and a pair of mallards on it today. I also went to McClintic wma in point pleasant today and seen about 10 geese and 6 mallards they have all been jump shot so much that just the sound of a squirrel flushed them out. So this is just a little information for all of you that might be thinking of those spots for the final days. It there is anybody out there that knows where any birds are and want to add someone to there party just let me know. Trying to give it a few more try's. I am posting this because I can't stand people who say there are birds somewhere when there not so I speak only the truth.
Z.herndon
hunter

Re: Last days of duck season

Postby fultz_danNWPA » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:23 am

We have had some good shots harvesting 16 ducks in our last 2 outings. This morning was pathetic. Saw 10 ducks total, some geese around but they are pretty smart this time of year.

Good luck to all going out this last day. We are gonna do it right and cook some breakfast out there and just sit around and enjoy the morning of rain.
fultz_danNWPA
hunter

Postby WOODIE13 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:12 pm

Wasn't a barrel burner, but Z, congrats on your first pintail drake, sorry I missed mine, Summersville lookout in the morning;)
WOODIE13
hunter

Postby fultz_danNWPA » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:26 am

How did it go for everyone?
We limited out on redheads. Wish we would have had more guys they were everywhere. Added some ringers and a greenhead and a beautiful greenwing drake.

Is it normal for there to be redheads in Central WV. Its the first time I have shot any and even seen them.
Attachments
100_0181.JPG
fultz_danNWPA
hunter

Postby WOODIE13 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:48 pm

fultz_danNWPA wrote:How did it go for everyone?
We limited out on redheads. Wish we would have had more guys they were everywhere. Added some ringers and a greenhead and a beautiful greenwing drake.

Is it normal for there to be redheads in Central WV. Its the first time I have shot any and even seen them.

Just never knows what the north wind brings, who would have thought surf and white wing scoters, not to mention a blue goose would come from the mountains. Congrats on a good hunt.
WOODIE13
hunter

Postby fultz_danNWPA » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:13 am

Thanks. Yeah i've seen all kinds of birds I have not expected to see here in WV.
fultz_danNWPA
hunter

Postby Delduck » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:57 am

Glad you boys down in the Central and Southern parts of the state were able to salvage a little bit of this season. I am finally starting to see some birds come in. Saw a few after that northern cold snap last week but to little to late. I relatively new to waterfowl hunting and even with this years poor flights and skunk filled days I am still pumped for next season. I bagged a Mallard on closing day, saw about 15 birds but nothing deeked. I will say this, the numbers are in the Eastern Flyway are bad everywhere. I went to chincoteague last week on a guided hunt. The guide service was terrible and the only species we saw were Buffleheads and Mergansers.

On another note, I was very pleased to see an article this morning about habitat conservation in the Dominion Post (Morgantown paper). Think it was syndicated from the Chicago Tribune but still, nice to see a little bit about it in the paper. One more day of Geese, happy hunting fellas.

I have the bug bad...
Hopelessly devoted.
Delduck
hunter

Postby 2fowlmood » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:59 am

Delduck, what guide service did you use down there in chinceteague? I am planning a trip down there next year and need to know who not to look at. Thanks
2fowlmood
hunter

Postby WOODIE13 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:11 pm

I hunted on the bay in MD, limits of cans and bills. Let me know if you are interested, the weather drves the harvest and number of birds.
WOODIE13
hunter

Postby Delduck » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:24 am

Chincoteague Hunting/Fishing Center was the outfit we used. Now I am not saying that you wouldn't have a good time but I know that I did not. Granted it was a bad season but the guide was not personable at all,he provided no knowledge of the area, didn't discuss anything as far as strategy, and had just a generally cold disposition. As far as the hunt, spent the morning in an open water blind, he tossed out some deeks and took off. At around 10:30 we moved back into a marsh but because he needed to have both groups in eyesight he dropped us in a blind facing into the wind (lots of wind) with puddles behind us a few hundred yard so anything circling would land up in there. Every blind on the far bank was doing well and he wouldn't take the time to move us. Basically you are baying for the use of their decoys, blinds, and a boat ride. Not what I had in mind. Good luck on planning your trip, not saying don't use them, just know what your getting into.
Hopelessly devoted.
Delduck
hunter

Return to West Virginia Duck Hunting