Anyone Eastern Panhandle Hunters?

The eastern side of the nation has some of the best hunting. Share your West Virginia duck hunting tips, tactics, insights and information.

Anyone Eastern Panhandle Hunters?

Postby zombieduck » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:03 pm

Hello all,

I live in the eastern panhandle but mostly hunt in Virginia, just seeing if anyone who hunts around the panhandle was in this forum. If so maybe we could get together for a hunt some time as most of my WV friends mostly focus on Deer. Happy Hunting : :beer:

PJ
zombieduck
hunter

Re: Anyone Eastern Panhandle Hunters?

Postby WOODIE13 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:11 pm

Nah brother, S. Central here, but with a little traveling, we could meet up in the middle a time or two, dependant on the birds and all.

MJ
WOODIE13
hunter

Postby jmroach94 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:52 pm

i live in martinsburg and have done some sneak boat hunt on the opequan creek with some success, but i would be intersted in finding new places to hunt. possibly out of blinds...any good places?
jmroach94
Newb

Postby zombieduck » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:00 pm

PM sent
zombieduck
hunter

Postby WVHuntin » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:22 am

I live in Inwood. I would love to start duck hunting. I have hunted all of my life, but never had the opportunity to hunt ducks.
WVHuntin
Newb

Postby wvwaterfowlhunter » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:47 pm

I live in Charles Town, and hunt all over the panhandle, there is plenty of public access places to hunt.

Scott S.
DU Area chairman
Takem'
wvwaterfowlhunter
hunter

Postby Jetmec2k » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:09 pm

I too am a panhandle hunter. I live in North Berkley and there are plenty of places to hunt and access is decent also. If you all would like to get together some time, let me know.
James
Jetmec2k
hunter

Postby cthemfly25 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:10 pm

I'm in Winchester but have a lifetime WVa license and have hunted the panhandle for years--- other than guide hunts I'm new to this sport. Trying to figure it all out.
cthemfly25
hunter

Postby duckeer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:07 am

I hunt in Petersburg on the South branch.
duckeer
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:18 am

Hey guys, I was just gonna start a thread then I read this.

My father in law just said they might have a spot to hunt in Romney, WV. They have property right along the river I guess, and wanted me to do some research on the area. He's from Pittsburgh, and I'm from NE Ohio, all the way up by the lake. I realize it's not a cut and dry answer, but are there sufficient birds in the area to warrant hunting the area? We were gonna take a few trips down there this summer to get a better handle on it, but if it's a total waste of time I'd appreciate a heads up.
I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby cthemfly25 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:13 pm

If you are looking at Romney then of course the south branch is all in WVa. I've seen and heard of huntable goose populations farther down river in Morgan County near where the Cacapon flows into the Potomac (Md law applies on the river) but I've not seen to0 many birds in the area where you are looking.....I've seen some mostly locals. I should qualify that it has been a couple of years since I fished what we called the trough. Did see osprey though---quite a sight.
cthemfly25
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:51 pm

I hunt Pendleton and Hardy, especially in October.

If there's anyone who lives in the Grant/Hardy/Mineral/Hampshire area and does a lot of scouting, please hit me with a PM. Thanks.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby Wvman25403 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:54 am

Hey how guys! This is a good thread! I live in Martinsburg myself and plan on doing some serious scouting in time for Oct. Maybe i might run into one of you guys. I have never been out duck hunting in WV and look forward to learning on my own. It's hard to find a hunting buddy. Plus most people out here with the exception of you guys are ALL DEER HUNTERS. You mention Wing shooting and they normally have never gone on doves, grouse, woodcock or ducks. Well hey i am open for meeting up and scouting with anyone who is safe and can keep their word. Let me know, by the time you know it the season will be here and were going to wish we had scouted or had a couple guys to go hunting with. Send me a message and I will respond as soon as I can. I wouldn’t mind if someone could tell me what areas are good in Martinsburg? Or hour drives from Martinsburg. Once again I am willing to help out scouting and getting prepared for duck season.
Wvman25403
hunter

Postby Wvman25403 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:54 am

Hey how guys! This is a good thread! I live in Martinsburg myself and plan on doing some serious scouting in time for Oct. Maybe i might run into one of you guys. I have never been out duck hunting in WV and look forward to learning on my own. It's hard to find a hunting buddy. Plus most people out here with the exception of you guys are ALL DEER HUNTERS. You mention Wing shooting and they normally have never gone on doves, grouse, woodcock or ducks. Well hey i am open for meeting up and scouting with anyone who is safe and can keep their word. Let me know, by the time you know it the season will be here and were going to wish we had scouted or had a couple guys to go hunting with. Send me a message and I will respond as soon as I can. I wouldn’t mind if someone could tell me what areas are good in Martinsburg? Or hour drives from Martinsburg. Once again I am willing to help out scouting and getting prepared for duck season.
Wvman25403
hunter

Postby nboyles » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:06 pm

i sent you a pm did you get it
nboyles
Newb

Postby Wvman25403 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:59 pm

No I didn't. Send me an email. Crichtonbusha@gmail.com
Wvman25403
hunter

Postby SeamusHiram » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:27 am

This is a great thread, glad I found it. I recently moved to the Charles Town area and am looking for spots to hunt and anyone to go with. I came from Delaware and did quite a bit of ducking hunting there but I'm still kind of a novice, I'm honest with myself haha.
SeamusHiram
Newb

Postby Wvman25403 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:45 am

Look like we got two guys . So when we gonna go scouting ?
Wvman25403
hunter

Postby SeamusHiram » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:17 am

I don't have a particular day or time set yet but sooner rather than later, obviously.
SeamusHiram
Newb

Postby Wvman25403 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:39 am

ok cool Lets plan for a weekend or weekends in september . I am free on Sundays . early morning or afternoon . Send me an email with your name and number . crichtonbush@gmail.com

Hope to meet up soon.
Wvman25403
hunter

Postby Wvman25403 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:39 am

Wvman25403
hunter

Postby SeamusHiram » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:04 am

@ Wvman25403 - I sent you an email a couple weeks back, have you done any scouting? Still interested?
SeamusHiram
Newb

Postby DucksNBucks00 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:11 am

I live 3 miles away from the Shenandoah just over the VA line. Would love to try and get on some birds locally, vs. driving down to the eastern shore. Easiest access points for me are Hostler Rd. and Bloomery Rd. Anyone out there looking to team up and put some feathers in the wind? I have a decent spread of decs, I can supply, unfortunately no boat, just a canoe. Ive never hunted the Shenandoah, seems like it could be a great spot if you know where to go. Any helpful insight would be great. Always looking to team up with fellow waterfowlers. Thanks again. Feel free to PM me if anyone is interested in a hunt or two this year. I got no problem setting decoys and doing the grunt work in exchange for the chance to shoot a few birds! Take care.
"Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence." - George Washington
DucksNBucks00
Newb

Postby Wvman25403 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:04 am

Good morning ,

Live in the Martinsburg Wv area . I am going scouting this weekend . Not the best planning but heading out before the 11th nov.

If someone wants to meet up and scout and maybe kill a couple ducks in the area let me know . Send me you number and we can plan . Will be scouting rivers , ponds and knocking on some doors to ask for permission .

Pro:
Got decoys(malards and woodies) and blind material .
Already have seen a good number of woodies .

Cons:
No dog and no boat (looking for places with shalow water were i can wade )
Not that much scouting done .(Waited too long . Busy time frame.)

Now lets go scout and hopefully it will pay off .

Send me a PM with name and number i will give u a call .

Thank you
Wvman25403
hunter

Postby Wvman25403 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:39 am

So yesterday i was biking early morning along Harpers Ferry West VA (along appalachani trail) saw a lot of ducks, Woodies, mallards, pintails and geese. I could not believe it!!! I thought ducks would be more so located on small ponds and lakes but it did make sense after watching them for about an hour or so . They were in shallow water, poles and along little island\coves.
My only worry is not having waded in that water before being washed down river. I will be scouting very early Saturday morning and glassing with my binoculars. Hopefully I can see the ducks in the same spot and test the waters by wading.

If anyone wants to scout with me let me know send me a PM with your number and I will get back to you.
Wvman25403
hunter

Next

Return to West Virginia Duck Hunting