Duck hunting stories

The eastern side of the nation has some of the best hunting. Share your West Virginia duck hunting tips, tactics, insights and information.

Duck hunting stories

Postby Z.herndon » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:56 pm

I was hunting in Conway, SC about 3 years ago on an very cold December morning. I had been scouting this section of the swamp for a few days and was trying to find out where the birds were going after they go off the roost. I finally found it, I mean there were hundreds of woodies, mallards and some other birds pitching in to this little beaver pond. I watched it for a couple days to find the exact "X" spot to hunt. That morning it was almost a blizzard, there was already almost 3 inches of snow on the ground. I already knew that the beaver pond would be frozen. My dad and brother finally showed up around 4:15 am and we were still had to meet one of my buddies at the spot. We all had kayaks that we had to drag close to 800 yards through thick brush, so we needed all the time we could get. We finally got to the hole and yup just as I guessed the pond was completely frozen. I slid my kayak out on the water and it just scooted on the ice. I finally got in it and started bouncing inside the kayak so I could start to break the ice. It took almost an hour and all of my strength to get a path to the spot where I had been watching all of the birds pitching into. After everybody got there i started to throw out decoys and shooting time was closing fast. I threw out about a dozen mallards and a dozen woodies and I then paddled into the center of the decoys to put out 2 mojo pulsators, they would help the ice from forming again. As soon as I got done with them and started to turn around and the ice had already formed around me. I started taking my paddle and busting the ice so I could turn around. Finally I turned myself around and started to make my way to some logs and bushes that I had placed the day before so we could get out of the kayaks and hunt. On my way there I looked at my watch that there was only about 5 minutes till shooting time. Then all of the sudden I heard a splash right next to me. I looked to my left and sitting there almost 3 feet from me was a pair of woodies.i I looked up and the snow was poring on my face. It took a few seconds for my eyes to adjust and then I saw all of the birds circling waiting to land. I hurried as fast as I could to get to my spot. I got out of my kayak so fast I don't even remember how I did. I grabbed my Winchester SX2 and loaded 3 into it. I was looked at my dad and told him to get ready because we were about to have the hunt of the year. As soon as shooting time came, which seemed to take forever, the shooting began. We didn't shoot at big groups just anything under 6 ducks in a wad. We quickly limited out on woodies and I told everybody to just hold on and we would see the mallards in a little bit. Around 8:35, just on time I started to here that famous mallard quack. I grabbed my RNT Old Style Cocobola call and hit a few single soft quacks, and here they came. The first group was 4, 3 drakes and a hen. I waited on them to start to backpedal and I shouted to the other guys "drakes only". We shot and all the drakes fell and that hen was bugging out of town. Next we're a coupe of singles and a few doubles. I pulled up on a drake mallard and heard that unmistakable deep quack of a black duck. I looked to my right and there were about a dozen black ducks dropping in. I yelled to everybody "Blacks Ducks, Take'Em". Everyone quickly switched to the black ducks and started to shoot. We all ended up with a black duck drake a piece and we all had our limits. We stopped hunting and unloaded the guns and just watched the rest of the morning action take place. There were hundreds of ducks came in because everything else was frozen up and they were wanting a place to land. This is one of those mornings where everything just happened like a dream.

Hope you all enjoyed this because I will never forget it.
Feel free to share your stories too. And tell me what you think of it.
Thanks
Z.herndon
hunter

Re: Duck hunting stories

Postby fultz_danNWPA » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:12 pm

Sounds like a great morning. I had one of those last year on the third split opener. Was the first day and the rest of the place was frozen except for a small puddle in front of me. I placed out a pair of mallards on a jerk string and waited for shooting time. Ended up with hundreds of mallards circling over top at first light and they filled the hole up before I shot. There were probable at least 100 mallards sitting in a 20 foot hole. It was awesome to watch. I picked out a nice drake that was backpedaling and dropped him. Then I just waited and they slowly all started to come back. Picked out 3 more drakes either in pairs or singles and was done by 7:30. Only problem with the hunt was I was solo. What a shoot it would of been if there would of been more guns. I will always remember it. It was an amazing display of nature.
fultz_danNWPA
hunter

Postby WOODIE13 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:40 pm

Hunted Quatantico Creek on Quantico MCB solo @ late January 2003. Got to the ramp early only to find a General launching a HUGE boat (or attempting to) with two of his Captains trying to lauch the barge, the General was in the boat barking orders. I had to assist in order to get my boat in so they could clear the ramp. Got out to the spot and 200 yds from it, started hitting ice, then it kept getting thicker and thicker until I got to the blind. Broke me a hole, tossed out a few decoys, already into legal shooting time, when I hear wings above me, 5 pintail drakes trying to land on my head, I whiffed three shots, not a feather. Got the boat hid and in the blind and nothing. Then about 0830, I look down the creek directly into the sun and here come some blue bills screaming through, missed again. By this time, all my decoys have icecicles hanging off their bills, it is @ 10 decrees with a good NW wind, so I take all the decoys up, toss them on the sand bar, get the boat and comence to cutting a hole in the ice. Finally get a huge section to break away close to the bank and push it out with the out going tide. I then knock off the ice on the dekes, and carefully place them back in the water so they do not freeze and hide. Here in a little bit, a drake mallard locks up and I take him @ 10 yds at 0930, I go pick him up and here is another that tries to land on my head, doing good, 2 birds in less than five minutes. I get back in the blind, nothing. Ice is starting to form on decoys again so I go out and knock it off when a black drake rolls in, one shot, he folds inside the decoys. I hide again, then here comes about a dozen blacks, I just let them sit in the pocket since I already have my one. I hear the whistling wings behind me and there are a pair of mallards locked up on me, I swing on the drake and pull the trigger, he crumples. Feeling pretty good right now, I go out to pick up the drake and as I am out in the water, I hear wings above me, 2 pintail drakes are trying to land on my head, I shoot 3 times, and watch as they fly away, knowing I had to hit the one I was shooting at. I watch as they fly, then the one just folds up, thinking it is going to be a long cripple chase, I get in the boat, have a good mark, but find him right away, one pellet hit him just below the rib cage, done with the VA limit for ducks since at the time it was only 5 per day, now the pintail graces my wall.
WOODIE13
hunter

Postby fultz_danNWPA » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:27 pm

I see a common theme here.....ice...lets hope for some come december
fultz_danNWPA
hunter

Postby WOODIE13 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:41 am

I would put the one of me and my little brother getting stuck for 45 minutes in a mud flat to the ol arse with a storm coming in, but that one is better over a beer (or 12) :grooving: :lol3:
WOODIE13
hunter

Return to West Virginia Duck Hunting