It's about the hunt not the kill.....

The eastern side of the nation has some of the best hunting. Share your West Virginia duck hunting tips, tactics, insights and information.

It's about the hunt not the kill.....

Postby GStan » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:41 am

I took my 7 year old "baby girl" and her eight year old brother out today. We had a blast. I have wanted to duck hunt all my life but never went until today. The past month my wife has decided she is gonna have to learn to duck/goose hunt if she plans on spending any time with me. I had plenty of missed oppertunites to shoot ducks today. My excuses were {Oh its too High. Well those came by a little fast. I didnt want to shoot towards the truck. there are other hunters over there. not sure if I can shoot him now that he landed in the edge of my decoys. You get it. I made three quick bad shots when I should have had six ducks.

Please dont be upset with that guy out there squeeling on the call like a kazoo.... that is probly me trying to show my younguns how good daddy is with a call......haha
I just want to let everyone here know that I found my spot that I hunted by doing lots of homework. But this site has helped me in more ways than I can explain. I hope that someday I can pass along the knowledge that you guys are doing now. Keep it up Gents.

:clapping:
GStan
hunter

Re: It's about the hunt not the kill.....

Postby Duck40 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:20 pm

That's awesome man. It's all about the kids. I'm already looking forward to getting my kids out there( I have a while to wait as my oldest is two). Glad your able to get ducks in the deeks to show the kids a good time. Hey no worries about a bad caller, I'm quickly learning calling is not everything, you have to be where the ducks want to be. May have to reassess the fast ducks though, don't have any advice on how to slow them down to your liking :lol3: make it fun for you and the kids. After all that's what hunting is about
Duck40
hunter

Postby WOODIE13 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:37 pm

Corn is a start :grooving:
WOODIE13
hunter

Postby GStan » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:03 pm

whooo hoooo. I got my first one today. Green wing teal if that counts. I think my family has found a new passion. This time I left the calls at the house and just hunted decoys. Thanks guys.
GStan
hunter

Postby WOODIE13 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:15 pm

Good to go there brother, teal are sporty birds. I got a goose and a big fox squirrel today, but not for the lack of trying for more geese. I am from @ Oak Hill, where bouts you from?
WOODIE13
hunter

Postby GStan » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:48 pm

We live in Grafton. Recently moved here. I understand about not for a lack of trying; We just haven't seen many birds, but appreciate the ones we have seen. Guess thats why we call it hunting. The little ones seem to have a blast either way.
GStan
hunter

Postby WOODIE13 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:58 pm

I hear you brother. Shame you are so far away, my son canceled on me for the tomorrow, hunting solo like today. Wear them out and I will try to do the same. Good luck and be safe. :thumbsup:
WOODIE13
hunter

Postby GStan » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:26 pm

Sadly, I get to go back to work tomorrow. I will be back out hunting middle of Jan. Hopefully by then the birds will be flying... I would enjoy setting up a hunt.
I might be at work but my mind is in the woods.
GStan
hunter

Postby QuackAttack31 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:49 am

GStan I believe you must be the one my buddy was talking about yesterday. His name is Ty said he talked to a guy from texas that had his kids over at Tygart the other day.
QuackAttack31
hunter

Postby GStan » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:38 pm

Yes Sir. that was probly me unless he said bad things. In that case wasn't me. I am new to this so I try very hard not to mess up anyones hunt. We really enjoy duck hunting -- just not very good at it YET!
GStan
hunter

Postby QuackAttack31 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:42 pm

Shoot me a pm we do alot of hunting over that way. Were from Buckhannon maybe we can meet up some morning and hunt together.
QuackAttack31
hunter

Postby wv flocknocker » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:45 pm

hey GStan this ty from over at the lake that first day give me or quakattack31 a pm and we will try to meet up and hunt some time. This weekend should be good with this big front coming in if you gonna be in town
wv flocknocker
Newb

Postby GStan » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:30 pm

Good to hear from you. PM is on its way.....
GStan
hunter

Postby GStan » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:25 am

I am excited to be back. Looking forward to hunting for a couple of days this week.
GStan
hunter

Postby QuackAttack31 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:36 pm

Get ahold of me Glenn or Ty and we'll take you with us saturday if you can make it.
QuackAttack31
hunter

Postby GStan » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:42 pm

Done deal. Looking forward to it.
GStan
hunter

Postby GStan » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:23 pm

Thanks Guys,

Had a great time hunting today and leaned lots of new stuff. Bags are packed and ready to go again just let me know when and where..... :beer:
GStan
hunter

Postby QuackAttack31 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:26 pm

What did you learn how to pick a spot with no ducks? Lol we'll get after them again but hopefully there flying next time. Good luck with the new job and it was good meeting you.
QuackAttack31
hunter

Return to West Virginia Duck Hunting