First band on the lanyard today

The eastern side of the nation has some of the best hunting. Share your West Virginia duck hunting tips, tactics, insights and information.

First band on the lanyard today

Postby QuackAttack31 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:00 am

Finally put my first band on my lanyard this morning. Came off a mallard drake. I'm anxious to turn it in and see where he came from. I've had a pretty decent vacation we've gotten 3 ring necks, 4 mallards, 2 gadwalls, 1 woodie drake, and 1 blue bill. We missed alot of birds too including some snow geese.
QuackAttack31
hunter

Re: First band on the lanyard today

Postby Z.herndon » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:06 pm

Welcome to the jewelry clan. It's a awesome feeling she. You go and pick up that bird and surprise there some jewelry on it. I got 4 bands in 4 days in a swamp in South Carolina 3 yrs ago and they came from 4 different species. 1 mallard drake, 1 green-wing teal drake, 1 wood duck drake and 1 Widgeon drake. Congrats man
Z.herndon
hunter

Postby WOODIE13 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:01 pm

Congrats, my first band was a reward band mallard ($100) Thanksgiving Day 2002, told my buddy that was with me would be awsome to get another, he said it would never happen, well, first shot, drake mallard, banded. Had a dry spell until JAN 2011, shot a banded can, 15.5 yrs old in VA. Wear them out. :beer:
WOODIE13
hunter

Postby QuackAttack31 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:34 pm

Thanks guys it sure made for a good day on the duck stand. It was funny because it was just floating in the decoys and I said well I better go grab it and it may have a band and sure enough. My hunting buddy has been after a duck band for years, but has goose bands. He pulled to take the first shot at it coming down but the mojo was in his way so I blasted it. Made it a lil ruff on him but he was still happy for me. Duck was banded in september and hatched this year. He was tagged 4 miles south of Luther Marsh WMA in Ontario, Canada.
QuackAttack31
hunter

Postby fultz_danNWPA » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:59 pm

Congrats. I finally killed my first band this year on a drake mallard as well. Awesome feeling.
fultz_danNWPA
hunter

Return to West Virginia Duck Hunting