Warm front this weekend

The eastern side of the nation has some of the best hunting. Share your West Virginia duck hunting tips, tactics, insights and information.

Warm front this weekend

Postby duckeer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:59 am

What do you guys think the warm front moving in this weekend is going to do to the duck hunting?
duckeer
hunter

Re: Warm front this weekend

Postby QuackAttack31 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:17 am

Ducks are already here but they may not fly much after first light. Need some rain or something to keep them up moving good. Looking like partly cloudy and 69 fora high. Might have to take a fishing pole with me lol.
QuackAttack31
hunter

Postby duckeer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:46 am

Hey Quack, its about trout time. You could probably land a few this weekend actually. Have you been duck hunting lately? What kinds of birds are in the area?
duckeer
hunter

Postby QuackAttack31 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:16 am

duckeer wrote:Hey Quack, its about trout time. You could probably land a few this weekend actually. Have you been duck hunting lately? What kinds of birds are in the area?

I hunt every saturday and I hunted every day from christmas to new years. We've been getting Mallards, Gadwalls, Ring Necks, couple Blue Bills, got a Woodie the other day, mostly Mallards though. Occasionally smack a merganser or 2 every now and then lol. I got into walleye fishing last year only trout fished one time and normally I trout fish alot, but walleye was a new challenge and way better eating too.
QuackAttack31
hunter

Postby WOODIE13 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:38 pm

Figure it will thaw out all the little ponds and spread the birds out a lot more, just not seeing the numbers like last week.
WOODIE13
hunter

Postby fultz_danNWPA » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:59 pm

Like woodie said it will spread the ducks out. If we get some rain or decent wind and clouds they will fly well. Other than that first light and done probable.
fultz_danNWPA
hunter

Postby WOODIE13 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:57 pm

We need some more cold up North and West, a good freezing rain and wind always makes for a barrel burner for me, at least where I hunt. :thumbsup:
WOODIE13
hunter

Postby QuackAttack31 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:27 pm

WOODIE13 wrote:We need some more cold up North and West, a good freezing rain and wind always makes for a barrel burner for me, at least where I hunt. :thumbsup:

You sure got that right. New years day was freezing rain and heavey fog with a slight wind. By far the most vocal and best flying day I've ever hunted. We seen a ton of birds in the air that day.
QuackAttack31
hunter

Return to West Virginia Duck Hunting