Calling

The eastern side of the nation has some of the best hunting. Share your West Virginia duck hunting tips, tactics, insights and information.

Calling

Postby duckeer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:40 am

Do you guys do much calling when you hunt? If so, what kind of calls do you use most often?
Thanks
duckeer
hunter

Re: Calling

Postby QuackAttack31 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:46 am

I probably call to much lol. I use a Primos Original Wench, and a HS Black Ice for ducks both cheap but sound pretty good compared to other cheap calls. I also use a Haydel's SC-04 short reed call for geese, but it's a hard call to use. I got my eye'son a Zink or RNT by next season :wink:
QuackAttack31
hunter

Postby duckeer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:30 am

I recently bought a Kwakman call. The barrels is turned acrylic. You can go on ebay and get one for around 35-40 bucks shipped. These things are beautiful and sound great. They have great customer service also. Check em out.
duckeer
hunter

Postby WOODIE13 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:42 pm

They were committing better with no calling this past week end. I usually keep pretty quiet other than a quack or whistle.
WOODIE13
hunter

Postby Z.herndon » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:53 pm

As far as calling goes I am an RNT man all the way. I have won a few competitions with RNT calls and have killed countless birds with RNT calls. As far as a cheap duck hunting call the best is the Primos Original Wench and a Duck whistle. As far as calls go though you get what you pay for in a duck call. RNT calls will run you around $80 bucks for a Cocobola call and $120 to $150 for an acrylic call. I have the RNT Original, RNT OldStyle( my favorite, a good finishing call) a RNT Macrohen and I just ordered a Diablo call that is hand tuned by John Stevens. But if I can steer you towards any call it would be an RNT call. Don't buy any duck commander calls they just don't sound good unless you do a lot of work to them.
Z.herndon
hunter

Postby QuackAttack31 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:56 pm

That Kwakman is a good looking call thats for sure. I've never tried an RNT but I sure hear good things about themI got one on the wish list. My hunting partner just got one I'm anxious to hear ithe says it sounds good.
QuackAttack31
hunter

Postby fultz_danNWPA » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:57 pm

I agree woodie...no calls have been the ticket the last week. Maybe a drake wistle or a single quack. other than that let the decoys do the work.

I blow mostly zink and RNT...zink Nothin but green is my favorite.
fultz_danNWPA
hunter

Postby WOODIE13 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:55 pm

As far as calls go, I like the Illusion or Swamp Thing, for the whistle, either a Haydel's MP-90 or DC whistle
WOODIE13
hunter

Return to West Virginia Duck Hunting