Building a decoy spread for a newbie

The eastern side of the nation has some of the best hunting. Share your West Virginia duck hunting tips, tactics, insights and information.

Building a decoy spread for a newbie

Postby rubberduckie76 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:50 pm

I'm new to forum and haven't duck hunted for 15 years or so. I'm getting into it again and am planing on getting my son involved. I probably won't be able to get my setup finished before the season end but would love to be ready next year. I'm wondering what a good wv spread would be ie. numbers and species of decoys. How high tech should I go? I've read several posts on here and seem to have a plethora of knowledge to tap into and in advance thanks for your help.
rubberduckie76
Newb

Re: Building a decoy spread for a newbie

Postby WOODIE13 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:16 pm

Start out with a doz mallards, a doz geese, half doz woodies, half doz teal, half doz ringers should get you ready for most instances. Where you located? You may be able find some used v. new.
WOODIE13
hunter

Postby rubberduckie76 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:17 pm

I'm in kanawha county and thanks for the info.
rubberduckie76
Newb

Postby QuackAttack31 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:59 pm

WOODIE13 wrote:Start out with a doz mallards, a doz geese, half doz woodies, half doz teal, half doz ringers should get you ready for most instances. Where you located? You may be able find some used v. new.

Dozen geese? Wow Woodie you must have a big wallet and a strong back lol. 4 geese weighs more then 2 dozen mallards lol. I only have a dozen mallards but I'm picking up a pudler pack this weekend. Maybe couple teal, couple woodies, and gadwalls or something.
QuackAttack31
hunter

Postby WOODIE13 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:41 pm

Naw, I got some Aqua Vac Carry lite goose decoys (they cost was @ $150, no keel, plus I have a dozen super mag shells that are rigged to float with pipe insulation (got them from a buddy for $100), not heavy at all. The old timers used to run a lot more geese than ducks, we did it on the Potomac and here for a while, they stand out a lot more than a couple doz duck decoys, they called them tollers back in the market hunting days. Got about 5 doz goose silos too, they work well at times, depending on where you hunt, or you could always run a V or Y board and float them.

I would toss in some types of divers, blue bills, ringers, etc., that white really pops.
WOODIE13
hunter

Postby QuackAttack31 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:00 pm

Shells would for sure be lighter never thought of that. When my group goes we usually run about 2-3 dozen mallards, a gang rig of blue bills, they a dozen or more odd ball stuff woodies, pintail, teal and then usually set 4 honkers off to the side.
QuackAttack31
hunter

Postby WOODIE13 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:10 pm

The Aqua Vacs are real light too, no keel, lot of movement, doubles for field and water. I also bought a doz Big Foot full bodies for $150 on the VA forum from someone, just got to look for the deals.

It just all depends on what you are seeing and WORKING for you. Geese here lately are not doing a thing for large groups of honker deeks, neither are the ducks, but let it get cold, have another push of birds, then the goose armada will be out to ride again.
WOODIE13
hunter

Postby fultz_danNWPA » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:53 pm

I wouldn't buy anything but Dakota mallards. Best out there...pricey, but they will last and they are the most realistic decoys on the market.
fultz_danNWPA
hunter

Return to West Virginia Duck Hunting