Bird Bands

The eastern side of the nation has some of the best hunting. Share your West Virginia duck hunting tips, tactics, insights and information.

Bird Bands

Postby Chad924 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:02 am

I wanted to start a thread to see where most of the birds were banded that are taken in WV, I got 2 banded mallards this past weekend & sparked my curiousity. I have waterfowl hunted for 15 years & until last year had never seen a banded duck. Geese on the otherhand It seemed I killed more early on in my career but I still take a couple each year.

I'll start
3 banded ducks (2 mallards & one black duck) all three Linesville, PA
Prolly 30 banded geese (that were taken by me or my party) & all came from the county where we were hunting or a surrounding county (Lewis, Harrison, Braxton, & Upshur)

The goose stat is interesting to me as I question if we get many migrating geese.

Thanks
Chad924
hunter

Re: Bird Bands

Postby QuackAttack31 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:49 am

I got my first banded Mallard New Years day it was from Luther Marsh WMA, Ontario Canada
QuackAttack31
hunter

Postby fultz_danNWPA » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:35 am

Killed my first band back in PA this year on a mallard and it was banded in Linesville, PA as well. I shot it probable 20 miles away from there. We killed a goose band this morning that was from Quebec way up above Hudson Bay in 2010. Pretty awesome, that bird went a long way.
fultz_danNWPA
hunter

Postby Z.herndon » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:16 pm

I killed a banded wood drake in 2002 in Conway, SC that was banded in Novia Scotia in 1999. Now that wood duck traveled a long way just have a date with my SX2 MEATSTICK. I also killed a banded Chinese Mandarin but it was a local band in South Carolina. It was a guy that had a bunch of them and breed them and some got loose. It was just flying with a bunch of wood ducks and when my dog was bringing it back I thought it had a bunch of leaves in its mouth with a wood duck drake. But when he dropped it my dad and I both had no idea what it was. It is a beautiful bird. If you've never seen one look it up it looks like a tricked out wood duck. Needless to say he is on the wall.
Z.herndon
hunter

Return to West Virginia Duck Hunting