Need Help Planning A Trip

The eastern side of the nation has some of the best hunting. Share your West Virginia duck hunting tips, tactics, insights and information.

Need Help Planning A Trip

Postby QuackAttack31 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:53 pm

Well every year I go out west to deer hunt. But I think this year I'm gonna get some guy's together and head to Arkansas or somewhere for a week of duck hunting. Have any of you guy's been there? I'm thinking load the boats up and go to a preplanned destination and scout the first day and start hunting after that. You guy's have any ideas on places we should consider hunting or any ideas about permits?
QuackAttack31
hunter

Re: Need Help Planning A Trip

Postby WOODIE13 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:23 pm

Kansas was a great spot, Milford Lake right outside of Ft Riley, lots of redheads, then you have Toledo Bend Lake on the border of LA and TX, finally, MO, think one spot is Twin Rivers then you have the Boot Hills. All good times, just depends on the weather.
WOODIE13
hunter

Postby QuackAttack31 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:00 pm

Thanks for the ideas Woodie. Weather is gonna be a big factor in it I figure. But a bad day there is probably like a good day here lol.
QuackAttack31
hunter

Postby GStan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:53 pm

Woodie,

It really is a small world. I hunt Milford every year for deer and turkey. In all my life I have never thought of hunting ducks there. I have several friends that have tried to get me to hunt duck and geese there (Why have I never taken them up on the offers? :hammer: )
GStan
hunter

Postby QuackAttack31 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:09 am

Was looking at the Bayou Meto but apparently that is THE place of places and can be crazy with boats. Now I'm looking into the Rex Hancock Black Swamp WMA it's pretty close to the same area, both in Arkansas.
QuackAttack31
hunter

Postby WVClaysandBassin » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:37 am

How long does there season last in Arkansas? Room for one more??? haha
Waterfowling is truly an addiction.
WVClaysandBassin
hunter

Postby QuackAttack31 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:02 pm

WVClaysandBassin wrote:How long does there season last in Arkansas? Room for one more??? haha

There season seems to run about like ours does. A season license and permits and stamps is $215, a 5 day is $115. I'm thinking get rooms or a cabin if we can find it for sat-sat. Leave here friday evening and get there saturday morning, check in and find boat ramps. WMA's restrict boats on most place so you can't be on a boat from 1pm-4am so sunday morning would be a scout day from the boats then hunt mon-fri and head back saturday.

I don't have a problem with a couple others planning along with us. I got 4 of us planning to go taking 2 vehicles and 2 boats. I want to keep boat room to 2 guy's if at all possible we only have a 15' and 14' both with 9.9's. Both will handle 3 guy's and gear but in flooded timber and unkown water I'd like to keep safe as possible. But if a couple of you want to plan and go with us and have a boat to take I'll share info of dates, where were staying, and hunting and we can all tag along for the week and travel together. Just let me know if a couiple of you are interested I'm thinking the trip will be late december or first of january. Looks like most areas don't flood good until mid december.
QuackAttack31
hunter

Postby Duck40 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:31 pm

I went to southern Illinois last year and my group killed 506 ducks in 9 days. Was less than a mile from the mighty Mississippi. Arkansas can be unfriendly to out of staters, especially in the flooded timber near Stuttgart. All they kill are green, no diver shooting out there for locals. I've actually got a buddy who is a guide for pluck a duck. They kill once the weather turns and get a push of birds. Free lancing, I met some guys who just came from the Dakota's and they said there was a lot of areas to hunt with not a lot of pressure. Illinois was 50 bucks for a season of small game. Not sure about the Dakota's pretty sure Arkansas is about the same. TN on reel foot lake and Kentucky lake produces a lot of bluebills and buffies. Reelfoot hunt the deep side of the lake and you will not have the hunting pressure as the shallow side. Everyone there sets up on mallards. Hardly anyone hunts the divers on the deep side. So many places to hunt you just need to do you research on the public hunting areas
Duck40
hunter

Postby QuackAttack31 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:46 pm

My parents live in illinois that's where I go on my deer hunts every year. I'll still probably go out there and hunt next fall. I went out to deer hunt over new years a couple years ago and there were duck's and geese all over the place. Never seen anything like it before. We are really leaning towards Arkansas just because we want to try the flooded timber, but from what I'm reading water conditions and weather has to be right, and it's easy to get lost in the timber but thats what a GPS fish finder is good for. I also hear the boat traffic and races can be crazy. That's why I'm considering a 5 day license and hunt monday-friday so hopefully it's not as busy.
QuackAttack31
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:17 pm

pm me on arkansas
Drank some of daves koolaid, and cant stop looking in the mirror.
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby QuackAttack31 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:50 pm

PM sent
QuackAttack31
hunter

Return to West Virginia Duck Hunting