There Goes another Duck Season

The eastern side of the nation has some of the best hunting. Share your West Virginia duck hunting tips, tactics, insights and information.

There Goes another Duck Season

Postby fultz_danNWPA » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:38 pm

Hopefully everyone had a great year and made some new memories and learned something about hunting fowl, I sure know I did.

Had one of my best years hunted 45/60 days and as a group we harvested over 200 ducks. 1.6 birds per hour and average 4.49 birds per day. If anyone else is into stats and keeps a log I am curious to see how you did. Especially if you are from other states.
fultz_danNWPA
hunter

Re: There Goes another Duck Season

Postby WOODIE13 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:35 pm

It was definitely better than last year, just the weather came about two weeks too late to give us a true push of birds. As far as numbers go, as a group, I estimate close to 100 birds, seemed to do better hunting solo, guess I was more ready, who knows.

I did make some great friends, the kind you would be remiss in not having.

Time for the snow goose conservation season.
WOODIE13
hunter

Postby fultz_danNWPA » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:28 pm

Do you kill snows in WV?

Went out goose hunting today...saw a group of mallard 150 strong...every year it happens like this it seems.
fultz_danNWPA
hunter

Postby DelawareDuckin » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:35 am

Probably had my worst season ever back home in delaware. I normally shoot 40-60 geese from mid december to early january (about the 10th) and at leat 5-10 ducks hunting out of corn, winter wheat, and soybean fields. This year including early november season i probably killed a total of 15 geese and no ducks. The warm weather stalled the migration severely and birds just never seemed to come down in large number, even snow geese werent really around and we normally have millions. However after i left in early january, my buddies started slaughting ducks and geese and from what they were telling me, the birds finally started showing up. Overall, the worst year i have had hunting wise in a while but did manage to pick up a new corn field with a brand new pit for next year so not a complete bust. Hopefully ill get a few geese out of deckers before season closes on thurs. Might go give it a try this morning
DelawareDuckin
hunter

Postby WOODIE13 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:24 pm

We have killed a few here, one blue goose. Planning on going to MD for the snow goose conservation season, maybe Arkansas, not real sure yet.
WOODIE13
hunter

Postby DelawareDuckin » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:35 am

Managed to jump shoot these two on the second to last day out of a cow pasture in preston county.
DelawareDuckin
hunter

Return to West Virginia Duck Hunting