Duck Hunting Forum banner

pretty quiet

5K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  WOODIE13 
#1 ·
Its been quiet on here no one killed any geese during the early season?

#8 ·
Me and the wife got three wood ducks and two geese, should have had three more wood ducks a couple more geese and some mallards, real foggy this morning, made for some in your face shooting, but actually picked up most of the birds later in the day once I straightened out the barrel :beer:

#13 ·
Did solo hunt yesterday. I got my first mallard drake. The first set of seven came in fast and hard. I was anxious like a kid on my first hunt. Pulled the gun out and shot toward them but not AT them. IT was a CLEAN MISS. Next set of four I put the smack-down on a mallard. Not a lot of action but it was fun. Headed out again in the morning.

#16 ·
GStan was your drake still in eclipse? Most of the mallards I have been seeing are. The green wings are still kind of dull looking too. I had to take a couple days off hunting to catch up on some sleep. Getting 2 hours of sleep and working afternoon shift caught up to me yesterday. Duck Dynasty is killing my hunting there were 4 other boats at the ramp Tuesday morning and we only seen one other hunter last season. My guess is the other hunters are pipe liners most of them are from the south but it seems like there are a lot of rookies out there educating birds. I miss the glory days of hunting the Ohio valley when you only seen a couple of other hunters all season and the birds came in on a string. Guess I'm going to have to start scouting harder and find birds that are less likely to have been shot at. It is good that more people are enjoying it but I just wish they would enjoy it someplace else LOL.

#17 ·
Let the cold weather begin, then the fair weather fowl chasers will thin down. Can't fix stupid, but you could invite that idiot that sat up on top of you to hunt with you, may be a newby or could be some one wanting your spot, but right now with the weather, at least the idiots keep them moving. :thumbsup:

#18 ·
Got out today late. Took me longer than I expected to find a duck stamp, ended up having to get it this morning. Saw a few ducks but none close enough. A heron did sit down about 15 yards away for a few minutes, that was cool to see.

Going out again Saturday morning. I am around Morgantown and stuck at home without a car all next week if anyone wants a blind partner (gas, etc... Not a problem).

#19 ·
WV. Yes my drake had about half his green on head. Wings looked good. I guess I would have to admit that I am one of those new guys you mentioned but I am hooked enough that I choose this over deer hunting. Just wish I was more educated on duck hunting. Most of what I know is from youtube vids. I have never known anyone that duck hunted. I have a new appreciation for the time and effort put into this sport. Never thought I would anticipate something this much.

#21 ·
GStan where you located? I am moving back to Parkersburg soon. Me and my dad hunt together a lot but we have different ideas on how to kill ducks and he would rather kill geese. Don't get me wrong I will shoot geese but I would kill 1 teal if there were 10 geese locked up and committed. I am not an expert but I can kill birds. Everyone has to start somewhere. The best advice I can give new duck hunters is less is more when it comes to calling. I have hunted places that you couldn't call too much but normally if ducks don't commit to my spread I have found it is do to calling too loud. That is by far the most important thing I have learned. I call very soft and it takes some practice to get the pressure just right. Allen Blevin the owner of ABC calls took some time and made me a great call the taught me how to get pressure just right and start calling like a duck killer and not a competition caller. If I can take the competition and make him a hunting partner it works out for both of us. I am always looking for new people to hunt with.

#22 ·
I live in Grafton and would drive to parkersburg or even new martinsburg for an ohio river trip. Have seen lots of ducks and geese in that area. I am always open to new things. As for ducks or geese I am not picky as long as I am hunting. CALLING CALLING CALLING..I have spent hours and hours trying to get my calling down.most of the time I leave my calls at home and just work the decoys. I am lucky to get one bird on an outing but that is an appreciated bird. I cant wait till late season. I am learning to humm into the call and I feel good about my feeding call and quack. The comeback is one I run short of breath on. So yes I think we should hunt sometime soon. Set up a dec. Hunt and count me in. just pm me when you get a chance.

#24 ·
Saturday morning we shot 9 geese and 2 mallards and one woody and yesterday we kill 3 geese and 4 mallards and one woody. We seen several hundred teal moving on the edge of the front. None of the teal felt like working which is strange to me they are normally pretty friendly. The topper for yesterday was finding a large stand of paw paws with hundreds of ripe ones hanging from the branches. I never seen paw paws like that. We collected about a garbage bag full of them. Normally when I find them you are lucky to get 5 or 10.

#25 ·
Hunted solo Tuesday, got two geese and two BWT, should have had a limit with them and on woodies, had to go home and straighten out the barrel.

Hunted today with a buddy, two limits of woodies and one BWT.

Summers and Greenbrier.

Glad you like those paw paws, I was in the 4th grade, ate some, and was allergic to them, it was bad. Then, while stationed there in TX, the neighbors had what they called Chinese plums, ate some of them, they tasted a little familiar, must be related to the paw paw because I was allergic to them too :beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.