One Week

The eastern side of the nation has some of the best hunting. Share your West Virginia duck hunting tips, tactics, insights and information.

One Week

Postby WVClaysandBassin » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:46 am

One week away. Very excited, even though haven't been seeing many birds. Just ready to get back out there. Who's heading out opening day? I'll be out with a buddy who's never waterfowled before, should be a good time.
Waterfowling is truly an addiction.
WVClaysandBassin
hunter

Re: One Week

Postby cbaines16 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:44 pm

what part of west virginia do you hunt? I am new to the state and having trouble finding places to go.
cbaines16
Newb

Postby WOODIE13 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:34 am

All week, but just not seeing the birds at all, hope this cold front changes that on Thursday, only takes a couple days to get a few birds in.
WOODIE13
hunter

Postby WVClaysandBassin » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:33 pm

Woodie, what parts of the country do you think we get most of our birds from? I'm always watching weather from Erie, PA, and Toledo, Ohio as I've been told a lot of our migrators come off the great lakes.
Waterfowling is truly an addiction.
WVClaysandBassin
hunter

Postby WOODIE13 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:13 pm

Just depends on the species, I think here we get a lot off the Great Lakes, but have shot surf and white wing scoters here, but you never know. When I was in N. VA, wife got a goose that was banded in Ontario, I shot a reward band mallard that was from Manitoba, one from Alberta and a Can from Twill Lakes in Saskatchewan, so there is no real rhyme or reason to that bird's individual path. Give it a couple days, we should see a plus up.

Went out today scouting, saw a lot more geese, more ducks, mallards are pulsing up nicely.
WOODIE13
hunter

Postby Delduck » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:55 pm

I should be headed out for opener if I can my sneak boat float worthy again by then...tarp blew off while outta town on business. Looking forward to seeing some pics guys.

Shoot strait and leave me some. I am seeing a few more then locals round my way up north.
Hopelessly devoted.
Delduck
hunter

Postby SpoonyShooter » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:49 am

I will at least be out on the last day, maybe Wednesday too. Saw a few geese flying around Morgantown last week, hoping I can get into those. Got a couple spots to check. Always on the lookout for a hunting buddy, too.
SpoonyShooter
hunter

Postby WOODIE13 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:22 pm

Still not a lot of ducks, more than last week, but still just a little. Geese are plussing up nice, but they are holding tight where trying to hunt them is next to impossible.

Be safe and good luck
WOODIE13
hunter

Return to West Virginia Duck Hunting