Public Hunting (Eastern WV)

The eastern side of the nation has some of the best hunting. Share your West Virginia duck hunting tips, tactics, insights and information.

Public Hunting (Eastern WV)

Postby VSniper » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:21 am

Hello Everyone! I am, unfortunately, new to duck hunting. I've wanted to hunt them pretty much all my life, but I'm just finally old enough to be allowed to drive myself to hunt (17).

I've been hunting a little 8 acre marsh here in Valley Bend; It's really just a morning fly-out of roosting birds, and this time of year, it keeps freezing over, which means no ducks, and I'd like to find a bit bigger area. I don't have a dog or boat, so river hunting is pretty much out. Does anyone know of any good public marsh areas, specifically in the eastern part of the state? (Is Canaan Valley any good?)
Thanks! :smile:
The fact that I started duck hunting whilst Duck Dynasty was popular is nothing more than a happy happy happy coincidence.
VSniper
Newb

Re: Public Hunting (Eastern WV)

Postby cthemfly25 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:28 pm

I think you'll find the same problem with any marsh this time of year---frozen. I don't have the equipment for open water but you might want to try field hunting. Under certain conditions you can do OK.
cthemfly25
hunter

Re: Public Hunting (Eastern WV)

Postby WOODIE13 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:20 am

Canaan Valley or the river may open your ops up a lot. Find moving water, won't freeze as quick, good luck and be safe
WOODIE13
hunter

Return to West Virginia Duck Hunting