SUNDAY HUNTING IMPACTING WATERFOWL SEASON

The eastern side of the nation has some of the best hunting. Share your West Virginia duck hunting tips, tactics, insights and information.

SUNDAY HUNTING IMPACTING WATERFOWL SEASON

Postby WOODIE13 » Sun May 18, 2014 12:56 am

So, since Sunday hunting has passed in a few counties recently and had like seven previously, my biggest question is how does this impact the waterfowl season for the rest of the state? Typically it is a 60 day season, but when you consider the passing of private land hunting on Sunday, it shortens the rest of the (public land) season for the rest of the state by at least a week, correct? If this is the issue, it is a case of haves and have nots. Think WF hunting needs to be halted on Sundays until 7 day a week season is the main stay for ALL of WV. What do you all think?

A little run down, 2013/14 duck season, we were authorized 60 days, we got 53 not counting Sunday hunting.

Oct 1-12
Nov 11-16
Dec 16-25
WOODIE13
hunter

Re: SUNDAY HUNTING IMPACTING WATERFOWL SEASON

Postby Lurch4004 » Sun May 18, 2014 3:33 pm

I think there is no Sunday federal hunting? I could be wrong?
Lurch4004
hunter

Postby WOODIE13 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:39 pm

We hunted them in TX, KS and GA, just one of the blue laws they have here in WV, but now you have @ 7 counties (plus a few more) that are able to hunt on private lands on Sunday, impacting OUR WF season, just want the days back :beer:
WOODIE13
hunter

Postby GStan » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:22 pm

WOODIE13,
I am naturally opposed to the sunday hunting law. I only get a few weekends that are huntable. I wish a way was possible to eliminate the blue laws and let us hunt, this could be a win win situation for hunters and oposers. I would like to see sunday hunting set up as a youth had to be present for each adult. Just a suggestion '-- what yall think?
GStan
hunter

Postby AWall3322 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:08 pm

Hello everyone been floating around here for a while now and decided to sign up just to take part in this conversation.

Personally I would like to know what exactly the reason is that we aren't "allowed" to be hunting on sunday. Ive always thought it had something to do with the "day of rest" and I just feel like that the government is forcing religion on us all. I may be way off here and if I am someone correct me but as far as not being able to hunt on sunday whether it be WF or bowhunting I feel like were being cheated out of a day of our already short seasons. It should be our choice.
AWall3322
hunter

Postby WOODIE13 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:44 am

It is one of the old blue laws, VA had it and they recently started allowing Sunday hunting if I am not mistaken. Now that certain WV counties have it on private land(voted on by a special election), it impacts the overall 60 day season for the rest of the counties that do not allow it, for both public and private land alike. I am all for Sunday hunting as well, but not at the expense of losing 7 days of my water fowl hunting since I do not own land in those few counties and they do, not to sound greedy, but I guess I am.
WOODIE13
hunter

Postby WOODIE13 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:19 pm

Here are the regs and season dates. The federal frame work authorized us a 60 day season for ducks and based on the dates, looks like they took @ 7 days away from us to account for private land WF hunting. Could just be me, but I am sure it is a prime case of the haves and have nots based on a handful of counties v. the whole 55

http://www.wvdnr.gov/hunting/Regs1415/15BirdRegs.pdf
WOODIE13
hunter

Postby AWall3322 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:40 am

WOODIE13 wrote:Could just be me, but I am sure it is a prime case of the haves and have nots based on a handful of counties v. the whole 55

Totally agree and the sad part about it is in this day and age a normal person cant afford to buy a few acres of land let alone enough to hunt. I don't understand the taking away of 7 days to cover those few sundays and even more so how many people do they think are WF hunting in WV that own the type of land that could allow a person to WF hunt. My guess would be slim to none.
AWall3322
hunter

Return to West Virginia Duck Hunting