WV Duck and Geeses

The eastern side of the nation has some of the best hunting. Share your West Virginia duck hunting tips, tactics, insights and information.

WV Duck and Geeses

Postby Muskrat » Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:03 am

Hello All!!!
Thinking about starting to duck and goose hunt. We are over run with Canada Geese here on my farm. Got geese nesting right now at every pond.
Nobody seems to hunt them here and I got the notion its time I do! LOL

I fish on the Monongahela River for BIG Flathead Catfish and see ducks all the time. Also on our ponds and creeks here at the farm.
Mostly Mallards,Ring Necked,Blacks,Wood Ducks,Blue Wing Teal,Mergansers,a few Pintails and occassionally Canvas Backs.
As for geese all Canadas and occassionally some Snows.

Come fall theres usually about 100-200 Canadas here on the farm.They never leave the area,stay all winter.Then pair off and raise more.

I have never hunted them before but it looks fun.Nice site here and great information.
Would be only too happy to have someone come hunt them here on our property (600 acres) and teach me the ropes. PLUS I can get access to another 1000 acres. No crops here they feed in the meadows on green grass ect.
Regs. say your allowed 5 Canada Geese per day in the early season 3 per day later 2 seasons.And 5 Snows per day all seasons.
Don't expect any Snows here though.

These Canadas are here for a few days then another farm a few days,they seem to have a circut they follow.One day 200 then gone for a week or two then back again. ducks are hit and miss. Our ponds are small the biggest only covering an acre or so.

This just looks like a fun time to me!
Muskrat
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:16 pm

Wow,
thid is a real busy forum. :mrgreen:

Well the best of luck,
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:46 pm

Geeez,
I thought there would be some more hunters from there........

Sorry man!
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Snaph » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:15 pm

Stouff...I check this forum once in a while. Just because. I drive thru that state a lot...never saw one duck EVER. This is the reason it is so slow. I have seen places there should be ducks...nope.
Snaph
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:01 pm

AlaskaRedneK wrote:Wow,

Well the best of luck,
-Stouff

yeah looks slow to me ... i don't even thing it needs a mod or i would ask that guy from there :thumbsdown: to bad wv sure missing out on a fun thing
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Hey

Postby mikemedic » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:21 pm

Hello, This is Mike I am from Morgantown, where are you
I have been hunting waterfowl in hte state for about 6 years now.
Geese hunting is great
My problem is I dont' know alot of landowners , I migrated from the norhtern panhandle.

You place sounds great, My buddy and I hunt in the pleasant creek area of the Tigart lake area. We would love the come down, we aren't the most productive hunter but it's fun

I have lots of decoys etc calls

Hope you get this post
email me
mkatona@adelphia.net

Mike
mikemedic
hunter

Postby Captain16 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:17 pm

yellowlab wrote:
AlaskaRedneK wrote:Wow,

Well the best of luck,
-Stouff

yeah looks slow to me ... i don't even thing it needs a mod or i would ask that guy from there :thumbsdown: to bad wv sure missing out on a fun thing

Very busy forum here. The airline I work for even flies into Morgantown. Doesn't sound like very much hunting going on in that area!
Captain16
hunter

Duck Hunting/Goose Hunting

Postby *DUCK*SLAYER* » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:07 pm

The land that you have sounds great. I am a duck hunter that grew up in Louisiana and I am going to college in Arkansas. I will be moving there in December because I am getting married. The only condition to moving to WV was that I would be able to water fowl hunt. I was taught by my family which are guides in Louisiana and then have just learned more by hunting on my own. Would love to teach what I know and always willing to learn from others. I am also willing to help land owners by working on there land for them and setting things up. I will do anything for the chance to hunt ducks. email me if you would like to get more info from me.
WHEN NATURE CALLS - CALL BACK!!!
*DUCK*SLAYER*
Newb

Postby Muskrat » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:31 pm

Hello All! Well we got a fair duck population and lots of them geese.

We slayed geese last season and killed several ducks. All Canada Geese and the ducks were Mallards and Green Winged Teal.

I hooked up with a couple fellers from Deleware and they are Duck/Geese Huntin fools, drug me out there in the foulest of weather but we had fun. :yes:
Muskrat
hunter

Postby tdog69 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:20 pm

bump to an old thread,

Looking to do some Duck and goose hunting in WV
tdog69
Newb

Let's go get some geese!

Postby pkinder1 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:50 pm

I live in Fairmont, WV and love to goose and duck hunt - I have been hunting for several years - originally in Elkins. I have a boat and all the gear - just need a place to go. I have hunted the Mon River a few times but hard to find a safe place to get them decoying given all the houses. I scout nearly everyday during season and would greatly appreciate a chance to hunt on your farm with you. Your message is quite old so you may already have hunting buddies - but my boys and I would really like to find some placed to hunt both ducks and geese. Thx.
pkinder1
Newb

Postby mikemedic » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:24 pm

Hey muscrat....where are you. I am a buddy are in morgantown looking to hunt some geese this winter.
Let me know
Mike
mikemedic
hunter

Return to West Virginia Duck Hunting