New to the DHC

The eastern side of the nation has some of the best hunting. Share your West Virginia duck hunting tips, tactics, insights and information.

New to the DHC

Postby LA4024 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:24 pm

Hey guys, I just found the site and love it so I joined. I can tell you a little bit about hunting in WV and why nobody likes to post at least IMO. Good duck hunting spots in WV are hard to come by and if you post up the least little bit of info regarding a location you can be guranteed that there will be guys looking for it and trying to obtain permission.

I will tell that me and my buddies know this from experience in losing spots over the years and in fact we just lost another of our best spots this past Saturday. We hunted public land Sat. AM and killed 2 mallards and decided to go to our little honey hole that we thought we had exclusive permission on, only to drive through the gate of the farm and see guys pulling decoys from the pond.

We stopped and asked what was going on and they said that for the past couple of years they had heard shooting from here and decided to come and check it out. They found the pond and then proceeded to gain access to the property to launch there boat at the guys launching ramp into the creek and decided that access to the launching ramp means that they can hunt the pond.

We are trying to contact the landowner now to see what he told them, but in the meantime they have already hunted this place 5 times. We usually only hunted this place 2-3 times per season and they hit it 5 days in a row.

So IMO this is why you don't see a lot of activity on a WV forum, we have to be pretty secretive to keep our spots.
LA4024
hunter

Postby ducklanyards » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:53 am

:welcome:
Davey and Sons Custom Lanyards
www.ducklanyards.com
ducklanyards
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:35 pm

:welcome: to DHC.

Too bad about the other hijacking your spot. And as you mentioned, that is why guys rarely talk of specific places on the internet too, becuase they do not want the pressure. But that does not mean members can not talk in general areas that they hunt, or other topics and activities.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Return to West Virginia Duck Hunting