mojos or other spinners

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

mojos or other spinners

Postby CMAN » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:11 pm

I never used them before but this year there are 2 other groups hunting my hole. Ok its not mine but they just found it this year. Do you think if I add a spinner I would be better off. Do any of you guys use spinners? if so where do you put them in your spread?

Thanks guys
CHAD
TAKE EM BOYS
Waterfowling is a disease the only difference is we want this one passed on!!
CMAN
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:52 pm

I love them!
I hate them!
When I hunt without them, I wish I had them.
When I hunt with them , I wish I left them at home.
They're awesome when they work!
They suck when they don't!
They suck ducks right in for the landing.
They flair ducks.

If you can get my drift. They sometimes work, and they sometimes don't. The juvenile ducks are perticularly fond of them. Geese hate them, and from my experience will always flair. We have as many as four going at one time, along with two Mallard Machines. I like to incorporate them with a huge spread. I can tell you that we will suck in the ducks more with motion than calling when using them. On some days they will spook every duck in the air, and other days you feel like the Pied Piper. I wouldn't be highly upset if the made them illegal. Most of the time we use them on public land where there are definately going to be other spinners. So we use them to compete. It is very important to have them landing into the wind, and make sure you have a hole for the birds to want to land in. We like to have our hen leading the two or three drakes behind her. Seems to work the best for us. If you scout correctly, and hunt private land, you don't need them. I will say that most of the time I'd prefer not to bring them.
Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby CMAN » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:30 pm

Thanks Pete, one of the guys I hunt geese with is going to sell me his lucky duck for cheap. He has 5 mojos and said thats plenty so Ill give one a try. I can always take it down if it starts to flare birds.

Chad
TAKE EM BOYS
Waterfowling is a disease the only difference is we want this one passed on!!
CMAN
hunter

Postby Alaska Dave » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:26 pm

He's right , it will flair geese. As for ducks well reread his answere as I can't add anymore to it.I qwn 5 and still haven't made up my mind.
Hunt Smart, Hunt Safe
Alaska Dave
hunter

Postby TeamSkoal » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:46 pm

5-6 years ago the spinners worked great, ducks would just dive bomb in without and hesitation. But now the ducks seem to be gettin wise to the whole thing so havent used mine this year or last year at all. Found that they were flarring more times than not and our spreads seem to get more ducks droppin in than other peoples have so far.

Would recommend getting water surface motion decoys, we use one that swims around draggin 3 other decs with and it works great.
TeamSkoal
hunter

Postby bubba1 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:14 pm

We used one on the bay on Saturday. Seems to work, even the divers were coming in to it. Seems to be like ever thing else in duck hunting, some days you need, some days you don't. But you won't know what day it is until your on the water.

Bubba1

Oh, one last thing, they won't make them illegal until i break down and buy one, so you have got atleast another year.
There is room for all of God's creatures, right next to the potatos and gravy.
bubba1
hunter

Postby WIUPgamer » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:54 pm

Gosh bubba! Just tell everyone about our new secret weapon for divers. Ya the spinning wing was working good on the divers on the Bay. Everything from hen goldeneyes to a drake canvasback was shot over, around, and though it. You just have to remember one thing, the placement of a roto-wing decoy in your spread is very crucial. Make sure that where ever you put the spinner, it is IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to SHOOT it! Right bubba?

I’ve got a Tru-Motion Super Lucky Duck which has a few modifications. I’ve found it to be a good, dependable spinner. And its pretty easy to fix after someone blasts it. As long as they don’t hit the vitals. It has metal plates on either side of the motor which help deflect errant shot, which is a nice feature. I think they are actually part of the motor mount, but they serve double duty. So if the spinner only takes a near miss, a little epoxy over the holes, some paint, and she is as good as new. Hopefully I won’t find out what a direct hit does.

I have to agree with some here, a roto-wing decoy is great sometimes, but when its not you better get it back in the boat/blind quick. I have yet to figure out the conditions when and where it does or doesn’t work though. Mine seems to work just as good on sunny days as on cloudy ones. I guess it has a lot to do with the ducks in the area at the time too.

I have made some modifications to mine which I think have made it a little more effective. Now its my turn to give up some ‘secrets’. First I installed a Decoy Brain from DSR Productions in Texas. You can find them online. It costs about $36 after shipping. The unit is easy to install and can be put in a unit that all ready has a remote switch in it. It allows you to pre-set the on/off intervals of the spinning. I have mine set for 6sec on and 6sec off. This makes the battery last much longer too. I’ve gone 3 days of hunting without a recharge. Before it would die sometime during the last half of the second day. As they suggest on the DSR website I weighted the bottom side of the wings on mine to help make them stop in the correct position. Works at least 95% of the time. I might not have enough weight on mine to make it work ever single time. I went on the light side because I didn’t want to take the chance of messing up the motor bearings due to the offset weights.

I also painted the front side of the wings on mine. I painted the top half a brown/gray color from a mallard decoy paint set and left the bottom half white. This looks better then the plain white. It makes the white show up better when the wings are spinning. The white shows up as a well defined flash now instead of just a blur. It is more pronounced. If you want to test this on yours, just cover the top half of one wing with some black electrical tape. Turn it on and step back. Then compare how the wing with the tape looks to the regular wing. If you like the half white one better, then break out some paint. I went with the brownish color because I thought it would look more natural when the wing stopped in the wrong position.

When I put it out around a spread I try to place it at least 20+ yards away from the boat/blind, off to one side of the intend line of approach. Then it draws the duck’s attention to it and not us. Of course now I make sure it is no where close to any possible lines of fire. I try to put it upwind of the main decoy spread, and off to one side. This way even if it flares ducks when they get close to the spinner, they may fly close enough to us to get a shot. I also try to place 1 or 2 decoys around it. With the intermittent timer going I try to place it as close to the water as possible so it looks like a duck on the water, flapping its wings. Although that weekend on the Bay I only had the long pole with me and it ended up 3’ above the water. Right in the line of fire for low flying divers.

I try to use my spinner more as an attention getting device rather then an attractant. Once it gets a duck’s attention I rely on the decoy spread to bring them in close. Sometimes the spinner does both though. So even though I try to put it somewhere it can’t get shot, I still want to be able to shoot birds that fly toward it.

Another thing that I’ve heard works good on the spinners is a remote on/off switch. Something about them spinning continuously that the birds don’t like as much. The remote switch works fine if you see some birds way out and turn it on and off to get their attention. The problem is, what about the birds you didn’t see. With the intermittent timer you don’t have to worry about the ones you don’t see. Every few seconds it will come on for a predetermined amount of time. If I had unlimited resources I would have bought, both the remote switch and the Decoy Brain. I don’t, so I picked the decoy brain. Plus, at about $36 after shipping, I saved $20 from what the remote switch cost at Fleet Farm. That’s one whole tank of gas for the boat, enough for at least two hunting trips.

Good Luck!
WIUPgamer
hunter

Postby bubba1 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:05 pm

HA HA HA, very funny. :laughing:

With the choke i had in, if i had hit it, there won't have been anything left of it. (Which just might happen tomorrow :yes: )

I say Tom hit, just kidding Tom. (who wasn't even along that trip)

I hit it with some stray shot. but all those birds coming in, i got confused as to which one was the decoy.

See you bright and early.

Bubba1
bubba1
hunter

Postby Heavy Duty » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:58 pm

Good advice, I too have a simular feature in my two spinners. mine are from decoymodulator. i like them allot. i have a question as to how much,and what did you use to weight the wings? i was thinkin this would be good, just never heard of it till now. also the paint thing .......makes sense i will check that out tomorrow.....I like using my spinners they work for me more times than not. i sometimes think people who dont like them just havent used them right....Get back to me on the wieghts if ya could. i want to increase my off time , but do not like the fact they end up on the white side.
Heavy Duty
Newb

Postby WIUPgamer » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:59 pm

Well the only thing I can say bubba is this, If my ole roto-wing gets hit too bad tomorrow, you may be buying a spinning wing decoy sooner then you think. :yes:

As to your weight question Heavy Duty: I don't know what size they are. I'm not much into fishing so I can't look at them and tell you the size. I threw the bags away a couple of weeks before the season started so I can't look at that either. And since I gave up most of my bad habits many years ago I no longer own a scale small enough to weigh them. Here is what I can tell you though. They are the oblong, oval/football shaped sinkers. They have a small length of rubber in them that has a bulb on each end. I'm pretty sure this is to get them on the line. I bought two different sizes and found out which one worked by clamping one on each wing and trying it out. Of course I took the rubber thing out first.

The ones I ended up using have the following dimensions. These dimensions are minus the rubber insert. 15/16" long; 7/16"across/dia at the widest point; 5/64"(almost 3/32" - just over 1/16") gap/slot running down the length. I have one on each wing. Once I figured out how much I needed I sanded the paint off the area. I used some 2-part epoxy top afix the weight to the win. Then I painted it to match the wing.

I started with the round split-shot but that didn't seem to work too well. The football shaped weights with the rubber insert came in bigger sizes and allowed me to use only one weight instead of several. Plus with the slot in them already it fit on the wing better without any alterations. You will probably have to test a few different sizes to find one that works on your wings.

Like I said in my previous post. Mine does not stop in the correct position every single time. But it does so often enough that it doesn't bother me. Most importantly it doesn't seem to bother the ducks. IMHO I'd go with as little weight as possible to save the motor bearings. Knowing that accountants control 95% of every engineer's design choices, I can bet the bearings will not hold up to excessive weights on one side of the wings. And it was the Decoy Brain company that suggested using the weights, not the maker of the spinner. Just something to keep in mind when you start altering your spinner. Not much sense in making it work better if it won't last very long.

Good luck. Maybe we'll see you around one of the 'big' lakes. I have a red truck and an old gray Lakeland 16' shallow V with a 50hp Merc and a bunch of shot up decoys. If you see us say hi!

Ya that was a burn in there. I paint all of my decoys. The guys keep complimenting the paint job on my decoys by mistaking them for ducks and shooting them. Well at least I think thats the reason. :eek:
Last edited by WIUPgamer on Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WIUPgamer
hunter

Postby bubba1 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:23 pm

How many times have i told you: It's your job to get them in shooting range, my job to shoot them. If you don't get any in range, i still get to shoot something.

Besides I didn't shot the one that went do today. :yes:
bubba1
hunter

Postby WIgunner30 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:45 am

they scare the crap out of geese. And for ducks somedays there a godsend and somedays they scare the hell out of ducks that were coming in. I have a lucky duck and lately i dont have anymore success with it than without it. ducks are catching on cause everyone has them now.
WIgunner30
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting