Some of us have to learn the hard way

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Some of us have to learn the hard way

Postby bubba1 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:39 pm

Lesson learned.

I was out on the bay hunting this morning (open water). I don't have any diver decoys, so i just use my puddle decoys for now. Anyways, i threw out all i had, include some sleepers around the skiff.

Now I was extremely proud of my sleepers and butts, I just had bought and installed some auto rewinds, six of them for around $15. The wind picked up some and i was losing decoys, had to run a couple time to get some that started moving. Never saw the sleepers and the buts move, but when i packed up, i was missing 5 of them. Out the cost of the rewinders, and the decoys. The waves must have been enough of a jerk to cause them to rewind and then they took off.

If anyone finds them, I would buy you a beer if you returned them.

Bubba1
There is room for all of God's creatures, right next to the potatos and gravy.
bubba1
hunter

Postby Remington1187 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:32 pm

the only kind of beer i can drink is root beer but if i find them.........ill let u know :thumbsup: ........did u get any ducks out of ur loss?
"And there came a voice to him, 'Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.' " - Acts 10:13
Remington1187
hunter

Postby bubba1 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:50 am

Four, a green wing teal, two bluebills and a scaup. For me, this was the best day I have ever had hunting, should have had my limit, had three more birds coming in as i was just starting to pack up, the dog jumped up from the bottom of the boat and the birds flared. Still a great day for me.

If it's root beer, i would probably buy you more than just one.

:yes:
bubba1
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:05 pm

Four, a green wing teal, two bluebills and a scaup. I thought a Scaup and a Bluebill were the same species! :laughing: Just busting your ballz a bit. Maybe a Ringneck?
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bubba1 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:10 pm

Could be, I was told it was a scaup by a guy at the landing, thought he knew his stuff, guess not. I have a picture of it somewhere, it was smaller and similar pattern, i assume they have a ring on their neck?
bubba1
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:19 pm

What you look for is a ring on their bill. Should be called a Ringbill, and are commonly referred to as that. The ring on their neck is actually dark rusty red when you see a mature, fully plummed drake. Their bill has a sort of blue/grey ring about a third of the way down from the tip of their bill. They look very similar to a Bluebill/Scaup, and are also called the poor-man's Bluebill. They are a bit smaller, and I'd guess that is what you actually shot. I've heard from several people who call the Ringneck the Lesser Scaup, and The actual Bluebill the greater, but in all actuality the Greater Scaup is a bit larger and has very similar markings. The Greater is predominately found on the coastal waters off the Atlantic, but not solely found there. I hope this helps, and now you can school someone else! :thumbsup:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bubba1 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:43 pm

Pete

Hey thanks, i learned something today. Come to think of it, the guy at the dock might have called it a lessor scaup.

By the way, how is hunting down there?

If you ever make it to Green Bay, your more than welcome to come out with us.

Bubba
bubba1
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:53 am

Thanks for the offer Bubba. The hunting here is pretty damn slow for the ducks, but we've been smacking the lips off the geese. The county I live in gave a very select few the honor of shooting up the local geese on county owned property. One field near the Rock Co. Jail, has had over 200 geese taken out of it so far. Been lot's of fun. Bubba, do you do mostly diver duck hunting? Are you hunting the Big Lake? I'm just waiting for the weather to kick in and get back to normal. I look foreward to the Goldeneye hunting in the latter part of the season, but not sure if that is ever going to happen :thumbsdown: . Post up on your hunting, and keep us informed when you start to see a push, because we'll be only a day behind you! :thumbsup: Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bubba1 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:45 am

After mid season, I mostly stay out on the bay, open water hunting. I would say the push started about two weeks ago. That is when we started to see significant amount of divers. Should be good up here till the end of season. The teal last weekend surprised me, but we still have some pretty warm days.

I had a friend hunting up North of here last weekend. He saw birds, but said they seemed to be just moving through, good sign of all of us.

Hey, your hunting by the Jail, is that down by the river and the retirement home? Used to have relatives there and would see a ton of geese. Do you even use decoys or just sit on the bench and wait. :yes:
bubba1
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:49 am

Yes, that is where we hunt. Yes we use decoys. We have 11 dozen Bigfoots, and don't use the shells til there is snow in the fields. All together we have around 30 dozen decoys. The Wingwaver and the flags have really been working well for us! I have to tell you that the birds haven't been seen here, so I'm not sure if the birds have made it much farther south than you folks. We have been seeing some small groups of Mallards, but kind of suspect that they are locals just bunching up! That open water hunting sounds like a blast! Had a taste of that last year sea duck hunting in Boston! Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bubba1 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:56 pm

The bench comment was a joke, I can remember visiting my grandfather in the Rock County Nursing Home and going for walks in a park near there. As i remember you could walk without stepping in goose crap.

Where do you hunt ducks around you? Espically Golden Eyes?
bubba1
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:18 am

The Rock River for the Goldeneyes, And mostly hunt private land for the few other ducks that are available. I knew you were joking about the geese, but that is no joke about the goose crap, and that is why the County folks are letting a few select people shoot the lips off them birds. 27 degrees out this morning, and I'm suspecting the hunting is going to improve from here on out :thumbsup: ! Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting