Poygan Marsh Wildlife area

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Poygan Marsh Wildlife area

Postby Remington1187 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:47 pm

I was just wondering if any of you hunt the Poygan Marsh Wildlife area. I hear its and awesome spot if u know where to go. Any input would help. Thanx!
"And there came a voice to him, 'Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.' " - Acts 10:13
Remington1187
hunter

Postby bubba1 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:36 pm

We were there once a couple of weeks ago. Great looking spot, you can walk in, think there was four or five small ponds to hunt. The day we were there is was blue sky had one duck fly over about 5 mins before shooting and that was it. Saw a ton of cranes and a few geese, but only that one duck. Watch out though, there is some private land in the middle, I don't know how or why, but it's there.

Good luck and let me know how you do.
There is room for all of God's creatures, right next to the potatos and gravy.
bubba1
hunter

Postby Remington1187 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:41 pm

yea i got a book from the library showin all the public places in wiscon to hunt and it shows the private land.......how close to the lake did u hunt?
"And there came a voice to him, 'Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.' " - Acts 10:13
Remington1187
hunter

Postby bubba1 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:51 am

I couldn't tell you a distance, but about half way from the landing to the lake.

Bubba1
There is room for all of God's creatures, right next to the potatos and gravy.
bubba1
hunter

Postby WIUPgamer » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:45 am

I was there with bubba and another guy the 2nd weekend of So. zone. Like he said...it was dead. We were a good 1.5 to 2 miles from Poygan Lake. We hunted just over a 1/4 mile walk/paddle in from the parking lot at the end of Blackhawk road.

Maybe someone else knows better, but I don't think you are going to come across too many birds back there this time of year. I'm not saying you won't see anything, just not a lot. Unless there are a whole bunch of people on the lake pushing them out into the swamps that is. That probably won't happen though this late in the season. From my experience Poygan gets very little pressure this close to Deer season. There are very many places for the birds to hide out around the Poygan area.

The land side of the Poygan W.A. seems like a good place to be the first weekend/week for the local ducks, but not so good after that. I hunted just north of there off the lake once last year, middle of Oct. and didn't see a thing. The guys down at the mouth of Willow creek got some shooting in though. The following weekend we moved out into the lake and pounded them. One thing I've heard about the lake from locals is the duck hunting can be very sporadic. Good one day, bad the next.

That first week of the season they seem to do a lot of shooting all along the Willow. And I mean a LOT of shooting. I'm sure if you went back in there now and walked/canoed around enough you'd get some shots off. You may even get lucky and come across a big group of flight ducks on one of the ponds too. But I think your time may be better spent elswhere. Unless of course you want the exercise and like jump shooting.
WIUPgamer
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting