Duck Hunting Forum banner

Southern Zone Opener

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  chase83 
#1 ·
Some of the worst hunting in the southern zone ive experienced in quite some time! What about you others?

#3 ·
Hunted the northern opener and that was horrid; two ducks in two days, 1 Bluewing, and 1 Woodie. Now the southern opener, that was a different story three ducks on the opener, which isn't too bad for the crappy noon to close day, but sunday we got 22 ducks out of four hunters, and what a variety of ducks. We got the usual woodies, mallards, and teals, but we got a Shoveler, a Fully plummed Hen Pintail, some Ringnecks, some Gadwalls, and two beautiful Ruddy ducks. (I do my own taxidermy on my birds, so I'm more concerned with the quality of the specimen than the quality or quantity of the meat.) These ducks were shot just north of Madison on lake Noneya. Wings cupped, Pete Pec.

#4 ·
Did much better for the southern opener than the northern opener. Hunted Horicon on satturday and did ok considering. My buddy never gets goin on time, so by the time we got there, about 25 trucks in the lot (burnetts ditch). Every spot we had scouted was full, and we ended up just south of the refuge line in a channel. Must have been the worst spot in the marsh becuase we didnt even get a shot, resta of the marsh was pounded em, till around 6 pm. But come 6, the woodies and teal were buzin up in down the channel like mad. Ended up between two guys, 4 woodies, 4 teal, and 2 mallards. This was all in the last 30-40 minutes on sat. So turned out to be good, just a long day of waiting.

#5 ·
SUNDAY 3 I shot 1GWT, 2 mallard drakes, 1 Ringneck, and 1 goose ...My buddy didnt shoot any we should of had a lot more but he worked the bar Sat night and left straight from there....

Tue same place not as much ducks in afternoon and only shoot 3 mallards and missed one diver and one goose otherwise hit everything that worked ...

Going out Thur on a larger lake hopefully will see more divers because there on the big water!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.