2005 Ice & Landing Conditions

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

2005 Ice & Landing Conditions

Postby WIUPgamer » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:01 pm

Time to get the ice breaking equipment ready. If anyone has knowledge of Ice and or Boat Landing conditions in the area please let the rest of us know. I know they are subject to change on a nearly daily basis, but the more info we have when planning where to go the better.

I was at the old Duck Inn landing on the NE side of Poygan, just south of Boom Bay tonight at dusk. There is ice/snow piled on the ramp at the water's edge, about 1-1/2' worth 6"-8" high. There was ice on the lake as far as I could see. I was there at about 5pm so it was pretty dark, but light enough in the western sky to see the ice was everywhere.

It looked like someone had put a boat in earlier today, or at least tried to. Couldn't tell how far they got though. The ice is rough and consists of broken chunks fused together. I broke a chunk out and it is about 1" thick. I just had gym shoes on and didn't want to get wet, but the only place I could break a chunk of ice out was where the boat had been put in. It was iced back over there but not as solid as the rest of the ramp was.

Unless it gets very windy, or warmer(not in the near forecast as of the 6 o'clock news) that landing is toast for awhile, possibly the rest of the season. They are calling for a 8-10mph SW wind tomorrow and W to WNW winds up to 15 on Sat. Maybe that will be enough to open the NE side up again.
WIUPgamer
hunter

Postby WIUPgamer » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:06 am

As of Sunday, Nov. 20, around 2pm:

Duck Inn landing on Poygan Lake - 1-1/2" to 2" of soft ice, out to 100+ yards. Someone made it out in a boat from the landing Sunday morning. They must of had a rough time though as their path out wasn't very straight.

Indian Shores landing on Winneconne – Minimal snow/ice on ramp, 1-1/2" to 2" of soft ice, out to 60 yards.

Lake Winneconne Park landing – No snow/ice on ramp, 1-1/2" to 2" of soft ice, out to 120 yards.

Winneconne city Public landing west side by Lang’s Landing – No snow/ice on ramp, Open water.

Lake Poygan public landing (Off of county B near Poygan Lake Rd on South side)– Minimal snow/ice on ramp, 1-1/2" to 2" of soft ice, out to 30 yards.

Most of Poygan and Winneconne were open. The wind was blowing good so more should be open by now. The river was open south of Winneconne as far as I could see from the bridge.
WIUPgamer
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting