Duck Hunting Forum banner

Wisconsin duck hunters

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  fireguy3080 
#1 ·
Does anyone hunt the Mississippi and put there boat in near Nelson? My question is can i put my 17ft smoker craft in and be safe motoring around. Its not a duck boat but it will get us to other places away from other hunters. Also can i get a map of the water way near Nelson. Rumor has it one can get lost VERY easy. Well thanks for everyones help.

Chris

#2 ·
fireguy3080,

I don't know anything about the area you mentioned. I do know a way you probably can get a map, and not get lost. Go to this website  http://terraserver-usa.com/default.aspx

They have aerial photos and USGS topo maps of the US. You can zoom in as tight as 1 meter resolution on the aerial photos and print out the view. When you go to print it, a new window will open. There are several options here for page size and orientation. You can also put grid lines on. This is the good part. The grid lines give locations in Longitude and Latitude. They do so in three different forms: Degrees, minutes, seconds; Decimal Degrees; & UTM. They use the NAD83 datum. So once you find the area you want to navigate you just print I out with grids. Set your GPS to the NAD83 datum and away you go.

When traveling over a larger area, I find it best to print out from an 8 or 4 meter resolution with grids on an 11 x 17 sheet of paper. I did this and was able to successfully navigate the Wolf River between New London and Oshkosh. The whole while I knew exactly where I was and how far away the next gas station was. I was also able to find the back water sloughs which are just out of eyesight from the river. You can get by with 8-1/2 x 11 sheets too.

The aerial pics are great for finding hunting spots too. This won't help with navigable channels, but it will help prevent you from getting lost.

I hope this helps.

#5 ·
A buddy and I were hunting off the dike road near Nelson last weekend. Let me tell you the weather was perfect for hunting. We had birds right and left for about 2 hours. We each shot 5 birds each. The birds were everywhere! I think others around us got alittle upset because most birds came to us, so they started sky blastin. Man, who doesn't hate that! Anyway, Sunday was bad, only shot 2 green heads. But what a weekend. Does anyone know how to get around the Tiffiney area. My buddy is scared to go there. He says someone dies there every year cause they get lost.

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.