Let me run this by you guys!

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: NickCies80, Pete-pec

Let me run this by you guys!

Postby mustbeduckhunting » Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:51 am

We all know that after an hour in the morning action seems to slow a bit. We wil often times shoot once in a while to get the birds up and flying again.
My proposal: One guy in everyone's party would shoot every half hour, on the half hour. I think if everyone did this, it would benefit all.
Let me know what you think of this idea and post it here for all to see and ponder.

Thank you,
mustbeduckhunting
mustbeduckhunting
hunter

Postby ZHUNTER » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:08 am

Good call chief, waste of shells, but good call. I mean, what if your hunting in an area w/ very few people around and a lot of water and farm fields. No matter how much you would shoot, odds are you wouldn't even make a quarter of the ducks start flying.
ZHUNTER
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:10 am

Please do not post the same question in two and three different forums.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby WIUPgamer » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:12 am

Hmmmmm….. Let me preface my response by saying, I will try not to be a jerk. If I start to sound like a wise cracker, you can blame it on too many episodes of the Sienfeld Show.

Ya mustbeduckhunting you and your buddies can fire shots on a regular basis to keep the birds moving. But why don’t you shoot one off every 15 minutes instead. And rather then all of you hunting the same spot, each of you should pick a different lake and spread yourselves out to cover as much of the Ladysmith area as possible. Then when you guys start all of that systematic shooting maybe you’ll drive all the ducks south out of the area and us guys down in So. Wisconsin will get some better shooting.

Seriously though, there is a myriad of reasons not to do it. It wastes shells. It can irritate people living nearby. It trains and tells ducks it is not safe to be where you are. It scares, and or flares ducks you may not see yet, which are coming in. If your friend stands up and lets off a round just before some ducks were about to come into view, do you think they will come into your decoys? If you want to get ducks flying, try a little jump shooting.

Draw straws, or let the younger guys with more energy go out and kick up some birds. Just be careful not to do anything illegal. You can’t motor around the lake driving up birds or the warden will get the state some extra cash. You can paddle or pole into areas as long as you are in emergent vegetation or on a stream. You can walk the shoreline. Even if the land is private property, you can walk in the water near the shore, as long as your feet stay in the water. Just do not shoot something you will have to retrieve from private land or within 100yards from a house. It doesn’t matter if the house is only used in the summer either. If it occupied by people at all for any time period, you must not shoot near it without permission from the owner. So take some binoculars with and look for birds. When you find some anchor your boat in shallow water, sneak up on the birds, and try to get a shot. The ones you miss may fly by your buddies in the blind. You can also plan hunts where some people sit over decoys while others spend the late morning jump shooting ducks in the area.

There are a lot of legal things you can do to help keep birds flying in your area which are better then shooting every 1/2 hour. It just takes some time and effort to know the rules and get out there and do it. Please remember, duck hunting isn't just about how many birds you bag. Take up the challenge of ethical hunting and get creative.

Good Luck this season.
WIUPgamer
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:52 am

Ram98, I guess with the advent of instant telecommunications and super fast everything some want instant answers and thus post up the same question on 3 different forums hoping to get it quicker :rolleyes: Or he is just trying to get the post count up :umm: Who knows...:tounge:

I'll do a C&P from the honey hole as I already answered your question.

Actually it is against fed law. Look up "rallying". Basically it is defined as purposefully chasing up waterfowl to increase the chance to shooting them, and that sounds what your intent is, so I would think it is illegal.

WIUP makes some good points too. :thumbsup:

I guess that is why they call duck hunting VS duck shooting as mbdh likes it.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby WIUPgamer » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:34 am

I have to agree with admin2 about all the posts mustbeduckhunting has been making on different forums. Either that or he just keeps looking until he finds someone who will agree with his view. Is he looking for a little external justification for his actions?

I will have to disagree with admin2 on the issue of firing a shot to ‘scare’ birds being illegal though. When I first read mustbeduckhunting’s post I thought the same thing…it was illegal. Then I read the Rallying or Hazing section of the rules in the WIDNR waterfowl rule book. The language specifically refers to the use of a 'motorized conveyance'. A shotgun is not motorized. So if you are not in, or actively using a motorized conveyance when you fire the shot, I don’t see how it would be in violation of this law. However impractical it may be, I believe you can walk up to a lake and just shoot box after box of shells in hopes of kicking up some birds without running afoul of the law. Now it may be covered somewhere else that I’m unaware of, but I don’t think its is covered by the Hazing/Rallying rule.
WIUPgamer
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:25 pm

1 thing to consider is this. The regs books that you get are a synopsis of the all the main regs. Meaning a very condensed version. The one that the COs uses is huge. Generally there are 2 parts of the law--what the intent is and then the describing it in real life terms. I think the intent of the no rallying or hazzing is not to disturb the ducks on purpose so you can shoot at them. The using boats is the means, there are other means too like shooting.
IMHO I would go by what the Fed COs say. And the State laws may vary from state to state possibly on this.

I wish we had a Fed CO who was a member of the site to chime in from time to time on these legal issues to clarify the actual laws. :yes:

As 1 CO told me years ago-if in doubt, error on the side of the more conservative side of the issue of what protects wildlife.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby WIUPgamer » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:48 pm

The following is right off the USFWS website: http://www.le.fws.gov/waterfowl_baiting.htm

"Rallying. You cannot hunt waterfowl that have been concentrated, driven, rallied, or stirred up with a motorized vehicle or sailboat."

That reads pretty much the same as the WIDNR reg book does. The main point we all need to remember, which has been metioned by many of us already, is it boils down to a question of hunting ethics. It doesn't have to be illegal to be wrong. All I was trying to point out, is although it is not ethical, I do not believe it is illegal.
WIUPgamer
hunter

Postby WIUPgamer » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:58 pm

Here is a website with what appears to be a somewhat complete listing of Federal waterfowl regs:

http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_99/50cfr20_99.html

I'm kind of sorry I found it though. It appears there are some little known rules I have seen many people break, myself included. With knowledge comes responsibility. Take a look at Part 20.21 in particular.
WIUPgamer
hunter

Postby mustbeduckhunting » Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:13 pm

First of all, thanks to those who helped me see "the truth" by explaining some of their reasons. That is why I posted it in the first place. It was an idea that obviously wasn't a good one, I can admit that. Live and learn. I learned I had a bad idea and what kind of response I can get from some of you.

To defend the reason why it was posted in more than one forum, it makes sense. The more forums, the more people see it and can respond, and yes, more quickly. If you know it is the same post, don't open it again. If you had a question about what kind of gun to buy, you would try to ask as many people as possible, as soon as possible. The more info you have prior to a decision, the better. In addition, the reason for more posts was not to have more people "agree with me", it was to get more feedback. Hearing other people's points of view is part of learning. That was the purpose here. An ethical hunter had a bad idea and will change his ways.

Thanks for the lesson,
mustbeduckhuntin
mustbeduckhunting
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:32 pm

mustbeduckhunting -

Most people on here just click the view latest posts. It looks funny when you are posting the same question in three forums. It also wastes space. When people try to read responses, they go to one forum, and get half the conversation, then go to another forum to get the other half.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting