Ducks gone turkeys on the way!!

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: NickCies80, Pete-pec

Ducks gone turkeys on the way!!

Postby CMAN » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:29 pm

So whos planning on hunting the long beards this year?

Ill be hunting zone 40 from 5/17-5/21
TAKE EM BOYS
Waterfowling is a disease the only difference is we want this one passed on!!
CMAN
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:46 pm

First time getting the opener. April 12th for me! Zone 27 Rock Co. Area. Good luck!

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Remington1187 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:40 pm

Zone 6...period 4! cant wait! Buffalo county.....too bad we're not allowed to deer hunt there! We're right on Old Man River though so we catch lots of walleyes and cats! Its really fun!
"And there came a voice to him, 'Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.' " - Acts 10:13
Remington1187
hunter

Postby bratlabs » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:01 pm

I finally pulled a Rock Co. tag, 3rd week. My two boys got the same. :getdown:
bratlabs
Newb

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:51 am

bratlabs,

I live in Edgerton Wisconsin as well. I live right near the Thresherman's Park, off of 51. Welcome aboard! I'm originally from Janesville, so I really don't know any of the locals. Do you hunt around here? Where do you turkey hunt?

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bratlabs » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:14 am

I live in West Meadows, its on the west side of town. Born and raised in Edgerton. We deer hunt, goose hunt and turkey hunt over by you. Some friends have a farm off E.Stonefarm Rd. just before Cty. F. This is the first year I got a tag for at home, usually its for zone 2. We go up to the Miss., by Ferryville, a couple times a fall for ducks. Heres some pics for ya.
Last day of goose season, 4 man-2 bird limit plus bonus xbreed:

My oldest son with a friend in zone 2 last year:

My youngest son with his ducks:
bratlabs
Newb

Postby Pete-pec » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:18 am

That wouldn't be the Sayer (sp.) Farms would it? I hunt right across the Rock on the Hubble Farm on HY H. I have the first season this year, my first time getting that season. The turkeys roost on the big Oaks on the River, then they usually fly across to the opposite side, which usually means they fly to your side. There are alot of birds over there. The first year I hunted over there, I went there blindly, not sure where they roosted, and I walked up on a ridge in the dark. I hit the locator call (Owl), and I swear there were 20 Jakes and Toms in every tree above me. That's when I was hooked! I backed off, did a flydown call, used a wing from a previous hunt, and dropped five big Toms in my lap. I was done pretty early to say the least. I'll be there the first season, the 3rd, the 5th and the last. My Father-in -Law has the 3rd season, and buddy has the 4th. Neither of these guys have ever got a bird before, so I'm pretty stoked on getting them a bird. Shouldn't be too hard. Looks like you smack the crap out of the geese like we do. I was one of the party members hunting the County property next to the jail. I know it had to look rediculous, but we sure did put the hurt on them. I hunt over off County J and Reed Rd. as well, we get the birds flying out of Monterey Park in Janesville, heading out to the fields to feed. Well good luck on your Turkeys! Two more years, and my son will be old enough to hunt, and that's when the real fun begins!

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bratlabs » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:44 am

Sayers own on the other side of F, but I do a little hunting on Dave Sayers land where your talking, it used to be my grandparents farm. I mainly hunt on the Wilemans, in the woods and fields between Black Oak Dr. and Stonefarm. Turkey huntings pretty awesome but my first passion is field hunting geese, especially late season.
bratlabs
Newb

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:40 am

I've hunted those same geese that you do. I also hunt the Martin farm across from my house the only problem with those geese is that they feed on the manure that they spread, and you know how it is hunting geese where they exactly feed, it's a big NO-NO if you want to hunt them twice. That's the beauty of hunting east of Janesville, you constantly have birds flying in and out so they can keep the river open. I, like you prefer to hunt them later in the season. I like hunting geese, but usually don't start hitting them until the duck season is closed. Got my first banded bird this year. I know your thinking big deal! But I've been hunting geese for over 20 years, shot a ton of them, and have witnessed many bands, but never (until this year) got one. I think it was better odds getting one than not. Well finally! Good luck to you and your boys, hope you get triple-beards and 1 inch spurs!

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting