Marshfield

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Marshfield

Postby holzy82 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:08 pm

Anyone on here from around Marshfield? I'm wondering how crowded the river that flows into the McMillan Resivoir gets on opening day. I wanted to float down a ways in my canoe until I find a good spot, but I don't want to ruin anyone elses hunt. I've hunted the marsh before but always on the north end.
holzy82
hunter

Re: Marshfield

Postby slimm21 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:17 pm

Have you scouted McMillan yet this year?

It was bone dry 3 weeks ago, and although the water has come up some, it is still pretty dry.

So most of the area up river is going to be fairly dry concentrating hunters on the lesser amount of water that is there towards the main resivoir .

That said, if you haven't ever dumped in on HWY C before, the river can be pretty tough to navigate as it snakes back and forth alot and has some areas that are easy to dead end on.

As for the amount of hunters, anything within about 1-1.5 miles of the main resivoir is pretty crowded; If you stay within a half mile or so of C you shouldn't see much too much preasure and I've had some decent luck with woodies and the occasional mallard there. If dumping in off Hanson it can be fairly crowded on opening day as well. There is some pretty good areas off of Hanson, but again with the water level I'm not sure if it is going to have any water or not this year.
slimm21
hunter

Postby holzy82 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:30 pm

I went out last sunday, put in at Frey Rd and paddled north towards where swamp road comes out, then turned around and headed up stream towards C. Its as dry as I've seen it, but Ive only lived here 2 yrs now. I made it more than half way to C, but turned around because it was getting dark. Those distances don't leave a real big window to hunt in upstream of the reservoir, but I think I can find a decent pocket in there. Thanks for the help, Ive always just walked in from swamp and had most of the north area to myself, but wanted to explore a little now that I have a canoe.
holzy82
hunter

Postby slimm21 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:55 am

If you come in off of swamp, after the opening weekend, you will always have some space.

As for going up river tomorrow, there are a couple small bays on the way upriver, but I'm not sure how much water they have. There will be a lot of hunters hugging the shores, but if you are there early enough you can get a 100 yeards inbetween groups.
slimm21
hunter

Postby 'JaminC'mon » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:48 pm

I know this is a really old post but I'm new to the site.

Has anyone been out there scouting yet this year? How much water is out there this year? I drove around to some of the parking areas but didn't have time to walk around yet. I noticed some of the streams flowing into the marsh are just a trickle so not sure how the open water looks.

How deep is the water typically? Would I be alright with just waders in most of the walk-in locations along shorelines or does it drop off quickly? I've searched all over for maps with water depths without any luck. Not asking for any tips on where to find the ducks, I understand that's part of scouting, I just don't feel like going for a swim with my waders on. :eek:

Thanks for any tips!
'JaminC'mon
hunter

Postby mikebosmans » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:45 pm

Pretty straightforward body of water. If it's not too far across, you can usually wade it. There is obviously big areas of water that you'd need a canoe, but the little fingers and bays can be crossed.
mikebosmans
hunter

Postby 'JaminC'mon » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:05 pm

I did a walk-around couple days ago. Water looks fairly low, many of the "backwater" areas are dried up. Tons of boats tied up to trees off of Frey Rd which I suspect is the norm. I saw 3 ducks from that point, couldn't ID them since I was dumb enough to leave the binocs at home, guessing they were mallards by their shape. Saw a dozen grebes on Pool 6, but that was it, very disappointing not seeing much wildlife.

I heard from another guy today that went out there recently and didn't see a bird from any of the usual spots people hunt from. He even walked through the refuge, even though it's off limits, and didn't see anything. It might be a lousy first half of the season out there until the northern birds start migrating through.
'JaminC'mon
hunter

Postby mikebosmans » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:17 am

Pretty much the norm out there IMO. I live less than 3 minutes away and I hunted it a whopping total of 2 times in the last 3 years. I usually will drive all the way to Prairie Du Chien 3+ hours before I'll consider hunting McMillan. I will never ever hunt it again on opening weekend either. :fingerhead:
mikebosmans
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting