How many decoys do you bring for mallard hunting?

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Postby JustinD » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:51 pm

I have herd of people that bring 6-7 dozen decoys when hunting for mallards on some lakes, but I have honestly never seen that many on a lake before. The only time I would have had that many was early goose hunting in a field that a friend of a friend had permission to hunt. I swear there were hundreds, but other than fields, I have not seen more than 25 or so together, and that is only when I was hunting a lake that they were roosting on. Unfortunately it was a lake with a ton of cottages on so getting permission to hunt where they were is really tough. Does that seem pretty normal for Wisconsin? Being it was my first season last year, I have come to believe that up here, they are still in smaller groups until they get down south more, where they all get into bigger groups for the rest of their migration. Either that, or I am hunting on the wrong lakes :lol3: Well, most likely hunting the wrong lakes, pretty small, moderately deep, and very mucky, but in the middle of no where, surrounded by public. Looking at them, I thought they looked "duckey" but got skunked every time I was out!
Underradar wrote:Cowards and queers. Worse, cat-lovers.

I shoot cats, if I can't run over them in my jeep first. If I do run over them, I shoot them anyway.

The Brother Hood of S.P.A.M.
S. society for the
P. proliferation of
A. alcoholic
M. meandering
JustinD
hunter

Location: About 4 blocks away from the legendary LAMBEAU FIELD, WI

Re: How many decoys do you bring for mallard hunting?

Postby wigginsk » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:14 pm

I personally have pretty good success with only a dozen and a half to two dozen decoys along with a mojo. Though when i didnt have to hunt by myself i was willing to take a pretty large spread. Now looking back at the success then and what i have now i dont really see the point in all the extra work (i walk to most of my spots). this year i had my best results of working birds in wisconsin, having flocks of 20+ birds circling once and dropping straight in, location probably helped with that, but even in public marshes i had the same results. So i would say that you dont really need to have the 6-7 dozen decoy spreads at least not on the water i dont know about the field hunting though. This is just an example of my success and im sure other people will give you different ideas of what to use so take it for what its worth and good luck
wigginsk
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:52 am

We hunt fields we use 60 Mallard decoys. When we see more birds we increase Mojo's to 9 but most of time 60 decoys are enough and Mojo's to 3 or 4
War Wagon
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:02 pm

It varies, I set up for the situation I am delt with. Weather and migration play the biggest role in my spreads. When hunting migrating birds we run a lot vs stale birds we run less. The smallest spread I ran consisted of 4 fb rester mallards and 3 custom floaters. Largest spread I ran was roughly 20 dozen floaters and 7 mojos, Had great shoots on both of those spreads.
Last edited by koonce727 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby batcave4 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:49 pm

If mallards are around we regularly crack them with 10 fullbodies and two mojos. Nice thing everything fits in one 12slot bag.
batcave4
Newb

Postby FOWLER2671 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:43 am

If your boats not full of decoys then you need more decoys; If it is full of decoys than you need a bigger boat! :wink:
Army Surplus Prostaffer
FOWLER2671
hunter

Postby wackem' n stackem' » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:14 pm

My best setup when hunting ponds or potholes. Is 5 decoys 3 hens 1 drake and a feeding butt. when hunting a bigger body of water usually no more then 3 dozen for mallards, lake michigan hunting ive seen guys use a couple hundred.
wackem' n stackem'
hunter

Postby Podcast » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:45 am

I typically use 1-2 dozen. I like making my spread appear as real as possible. I use fully flocked decoys and they work very well along with quiver butts and 2-3 jerk strings. Water ripples are key along with muddy water. There are areas in Wisconsin that have flocks of over 500 birds given the right time. I've seen them on the WI river as far north as Wausau and down here in Horicon.
Stage 2 GTR rippin up a 1746 custom Mike Kliebert
Podcast
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:51 am

Just getting my spread together so far I have 2 dozen mallard. 8 teal 4 pintail 4 widgeon 2 butt ups 4 floater geese. That's for big water. Small holes I use about a dozen. This is only my 3rd year so I'm learning.

Sent from a telegraph.
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby webfettish » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:08 pm

I prefer just one decoy... :thumbsup:

usually brings um in close enough for my slingshot to do its damage.
webfettish
hunter

Location: Horicon, Oakfield, Eldorado, Green Bay, Winnebago (Water in WI)

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting