species of waterfowl in Wisconsin

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

species of waterfowl in Wisconsin

Postby HonkerHammer » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:19 pm

:hi: hey fellow wisconsin hunters i am mainly into goose hunting and see some mallard and black duck flying around but what other diffrent species do you see in the field? Also on a side note do you guys ever see any geese other that canadas i have only seen two snows in a flock of honkers last year.

Thanks HonkerHammer
HonkerHammer
hunter

Re: species of waterfowl in Wisconsin

Postby backwoodsboy09 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:24 pm

Wood ducks, ringbill and some BW Teal. Oh and tons of coot! Seen a couple snows in the 8 years I've been hunting.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
2011-2012
4 Bands
18 Mallards
7 BW Teal
9 Gadwall
11 Shovelers
1 Pintail
1 Ringbill
3 Woodies
22 Canadians
backwoodsboy09
hunter

Postby RookieJ » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:58 pm

I spotted a flock of Blue snows at Bong last year... was very surprised.
There will be blood!
RookieJ
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:40 am

I was hunting the marsh by myself and was the only one out there. had some canada's land wide of the spread. next thing you know swans come over and land 200 yards away. I see a flock of 7 flying over high, I take a double take and realize the 7 are snow geese and they circled the swans 5 or 6 times before they got low enough to realize they werent other snows. I didnt blow my snow call because I was letting the canadas swim closer and ive shot tons of snows lol.

I managed to shoot common merg, gadwall, widgeon, mallard, old squaw, red head, blue bill, bufflehead, ringneck, canada goose last season here.

I love shooting geese but man those red heads were fun to get on. I enjoyed the layout boat hunting I did with dad also.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby GunDawg420 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:53 am

I've seen about 6-10 snows in the last 5 years of hunting southern wisco...had a similar experience to teamoutlaw, where 3 swans landed first and then what I thought was 2 more swans came to land and after I got the binocs out I came to find out that they were actually snow geese.

Last year we killed all kinds of ducks, I love hunting WI because you never really know what kind of ducks you will see on any given morning.

-Mallards
-BW Teal
-Common & Hooded Mergs
-Canvasbacks
-Goldeneye
-Buffleheads
-Spoonbills
-Black Duck
-Wood Ducks
-Ringnecks
-Scoters & Old Squaws(Port Washington on Lake Michigan)
-Bluebills
-Canadian Geese & Lessers
-Coots up the wazoooo! :fingerhead:

Cant wait for duck season!!! :beer:
If you're too busy to go duck hunting, then you're too busy!
GunDawg420
hunter

Postby BenellisbeII » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:58 am

HonkerHammer wrote::hi: hey fellow wisconsin hunters i am mainly into goose hunting and see some mallard and black duck flying around but what other diffrent species do you see in the field? Also on a side note do you guys ever see any geese other that canadas i have only seen two snows in a flock of honkers last year.

Thanks HonkerHammer

It seems like every year I see more and more snows around here. We ended up getting 1 snow and 1 blue last year in Wisconsin. I lost count how many flocks of them I did see this year. More than a couple hundred birds for sure. We also do shoot a few lesser canadians every year, with this past season seeing more of those than I've ever seen.
BenellisbeII
hunter

Postby webfettish » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:44 am

yall are forgetting about the GW teal. we have a bunch around horicon. they are fun as hell to shoot at because when your pothole hunting you dont see um comin until they are past you.
webfettish
hunter

Location: Horicon, Oakfield, Eldorado, Green Bay, Winnebago (Water in WI)

Postby HonkerHammer » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:00 am

Wow i never really realized we had so many diffrent kinds of ducks! So do any of you cheese heads get any bands around here I dont know anybody near me that has many , hopefully i can get one someday! :bow:

HonkerHammer
HonkerHammer
hunter

Postby backwoodsboy09 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:16 am

4 last season, first season ever getting them and I got 4!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
2011-2012
4 Bands
18 Mallards
7 BW Teal
9 Gadwall
11 Shovelers
1 Pintail
1 Ringbill
3 Woodies
22 Canadians
backwoodsboy09
hunter

Postby BenellisbeII » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:14 pm

HonkerHammer wrote:Wow i never really realized we had so many diffrent kinds of ducks! So do any of you cheese heads get any bands around here I dont know anybody near me that has many , hopefully i can get one someday! :bow:

HonkerHammer

I've still waiting on the day I get my first band, our group last year got like 4 or 5 if I remember correctly.
BenellisbeII
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:48 pm

HonkerHammer wrote:Wow i never really realized we had so many diffrent kinds of ducks! So do any of you cheese heads get any bands around here I dont know anybody near me that has many , hopefully i can get one someday! :bow:

HonkerHammer

There are no bands left, all them southern folk buy um up for there pretty necklaces. :yes: Never understood that

Only ducks we get are sawbills and coot. They should start banding coot....
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby DukDukGoose » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:58 am

Last year my team shot..
Canada geese
Blue wing teal
Green Wing Teal
Mallards
Black Ducks
Ringbills
Redheads
Common/hooded mergs
Buffies
Goldeneyes
Bluebills

I think thats about it. Shot a wigeon 2 years ago. Otherwise this is usually all we see.
DukDukGoose
hunter

Postby webfettish » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:29 pm

DukDukGoose wrote:Last year my team shot..
Canada geese
Blue wing teal
Green Wing Teal
Mallards
Black Ducks
Ringbills
Redheads
Common/hooded mergs
Buffies
Goldeneyes
Bluebills

I think thats about it. Shot a wigeon 2 years ago. Otherwise this is usually all we see.

How do you shoot so many divers without shooting a can?
webfettish
hunter

Postby DukDukGoose » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:12 pm

That's a good question. Ive never hunted on the Mississippi, so that could have something to do with it. Dont think the cans move to far off it!
DukDukGoose
hunter

Postby webfettish » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:26 pm

DukDukGoose wrote:That's a good question. Ive never hunted on the Mississippi, so that could have something to do with it. Dont think the cans move to far off it!

Ive never hunted the Mississippi either. I shot my first can on green bay last year. In the process of getting mounted. :thumbsup:
webfettish
hunter

Postby DukDukGoose » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:46 am

Ah gotcha. Yeah, just havent been lucky enough to see any! Maybe this year is the year! *Fingers Crossed*
DukDukGoose
hunter

Postby loon » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:16 pm

I've shot all three kinds of scoter on Green Bay. Old squaw and a ruddy along with bluebills Bufflehead redhead cans all three mergansers ,whistlers, pintail both kinds of teal ,mallards, blacks. Wood ducks and widgeon . I actually had a flock of Greenwing teal come into my bluebills half a mile from shore.
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby Wi Browndog » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:06 pm

The only other species I can add to the list was a Barrow's Goldeneye off of Green Bay from the layout boats. You just never really know what might show up out there.
"Every day is a good day - some are just better than others"
Wi Browndog
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:32 am

If you hunt Green Bay and the Mississippi long enough, you can shoot quite a few species. Wisconsin has a lot of water, and pretty much all the same ducks everyone else shoots besides some of the sea ducks. As Loon pointed out, he has shot all the scoters. Lake Michigan has one of the largest concentrations of old squaw, so we even shoot most sea ducks here. There are rare times, people will even shoot juvenile eiders, barrows, and harlequin. Again, they are a rarity. I put snows in the same category. We shoot a few in Wisconsin, but this is generally not where they are. I have a real pretty ross that I shot a few years back that was with a group of cacklers.

I've shot just about everything that's here, but I haven't shot many of the odd ducks, but I haven't hunted the Lake much, and will certainly be back.

I've hunted the mississippi a lot, and have shot just about every dabbling duck and diver there is.

My list of Wisconsin birds are as follows. Unfortunately, the birds here pale in comparison to the birds of the south that get winter plumage. This is not the state to collect birds for taxidermy however. Not saying that none will look good, but a pintail (for example) shot in Texas in January will by far look way prettier than a Wisconsin bird shot in november.

pintail
mallard
gadwall
GWT
BWT
wood duck
black duck
shoveler
wigeon
common goldeneye
bufflehead
ruddy duck
greater scaup
lesser scaup
common merganser
hooded merganser
redhead
canvasback
ring-necked duck
old squaw
black scoter
canada geese (from tiny geese to the big boys)
and one ross
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting