SE Wisconsin

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

SE Wisconsin

Postby badgers21 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:05 am

Hey guys,

After being introduced to duck hunting last fall, I intend to get out quite a bit more this year. I have pheasant hunted some public grounds in the past, but never for waterfowl. Any recommendations within the SE Wisconsin area? I'm located in Milwaukee, but willing to drive.
badgers21
hunter

Re: SE Wisconsin

Postby backwoodsboy09 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:09 am

Waukesha/ Delafield/Oconomowoc is mostly where I hunt, some pretty good places south of you in Kenosha/Burlington area also.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
2011-2012
4 Bands
18 Mallards
7 BW Teal
9 Gadwall
11 Shovelers
1 Pintail
1 Ringbill
3 Woodies
22 Canadians
backwoodsboy09
hunter

Postby BenellisbeII » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:14 am

Waterfowl is very hit or miss around SE Wisconsin especially for you since your in Milwaukee. I'm in Waukesha and still usually drive 30-60 minutes west of me before I finally get far enough away from the cities that theres not everyone and there brother hunting. Decent hunting can be had around here but your going to have to put in your time scouting to find these spots, alot of the public land is usually a zoo around here so if your going to hunt public try to go during the week. The hunting does get better around here later in the season (after halloween) when the migration gets here and you lose alot of the waterfowl hunters that would rather deer hunt. Plus you get rid of the fair weather hunters. I usually do more field goose hunting than anything so 9 times out of 10 I'm hunting private land so I dont have to deal with the crowds on public land.
BenellisbeII
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:19 am

do you have a boat is one question?

If you do that opens up more options.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby badgers21 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:21 am

Thanks for the quick replies. The public ground (Bong specifically) is also a zoo for pheasant hunting. I have access to some private land in Walworth county that I will also hunt this fall. I'm planning on trying out early goose in September and would love some advice. I picked up a dozen decoys and a canada hammer call. I also have a layout blind and a blind for the dog. Would this be enough?

No boat unfortunately.
badgers21
hunter

Postby webfettish » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:11 am

buy a few thousand pingpong balls and fill your layout blind with them then hop in, makeshift layout boat. :thumbsup:
webfettish
hunter

Location: Horicon, Oakfield, Eldorado, Green Bay, Winnebago (Water in WI)

Postby BenellisbeII » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:48 am

badgers21 wrote:Thanks for the quick replies. The public ground (Bong specifically) is also a zoo for pheasant hunting. I have access to some private land in Walworth county that I will also hunt this fall. I'm planning on trying out early goose in September and would love some advice. I picked up a dozen decoys and a canada hammer call. I also have a layout blind and a blind for the dog. Would this be enough?

No boat unfortunately.

Best thing you can do for early goose is hop in your car/truck and just start driving around and finding where the birds are going. Start knocking on doors and asking farmers for permission. Early season can be the most frustrating part of the season. A ton of hunters, not alot of birds, and usually few fields that are cut. The birds are also very inconsistant they will be in the field one day the next day there gone and then the day after that there back. I think I shot 1 maybe 2 birds last early season. Me personally early goose doesnt get me very excited, I dont get excited till after halloween when the migration gets here then we shoot a limit of honkers most of the times we go out till season end.
BenellisbeII
hunter

Postby badgers21 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:49 am

I like the ping pong ball idea! I'm not expecting too much out of this season as both the dog and I are very inexperienced. I'll do my best to keep you guys updated though.

Would a dozen goose dekes be enough for early goose? I purchased the Real Geese Magnum 3D Canada Goose Decoys because they were on sale. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated!
badgers21
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:00 am

decoys depends. ive killed geese over a few decoys and over alot of decoys. check craigslist out for some cheap shells or somthing. gradually build the spread up. if your where the birds want to be then it doesnt matter on the amount of decoys. if your not where they were originally going then a bigger spread to pull them in and convince them it's where they should go is what you need.

Your more then welcome to come scout with me or go on some hunts with me. I live in Cudahy.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby badgers21 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:08 am

I'm more than willing to get out there and do some scouting. Is it worth doing that now, or should I wait until the season gets closer? I would assume the geese that are here now are residents and would be in similar fields in a month.

I appreciate the invite Outlaw. Feel free to PM me and we could work something out. SBEII - good to know about later in the season. Sounds like the young dog and I could have a good time later this year!
badgers21
hunter

Postby BenellisbeII » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:21 am

badgers21 wrote:I'm more than willing to get out there and do some scouting. Is it worth doing that now, or should I wait until the season gets closer? I would assume the geese that are here now are residents and would be in similar fields in a month.

This can really go both ways, it can be good and it can also be a complete waste of time. But thats part of scouting you're not going to find a field everytime. Scouting in general is usually always a good idea, even if you dont find a field with birds that are using it now doesnt mean that there wont be birds using it a month from now. The key is to get in with the farmers, and try to lock down as much land as possible. Then the next season it will be easier for the farmer to give you permission again cause he knows you wont cause a problem. Birds move, crops change, fields get cut, new birds come in to the area are all different factors to consider. Me personally though I'l wait another week or 2 before I start scouting, as I'l be looking for a early goose field. You on the other hand it would hurt to get out and start knocking on doors now and get some fields locked up.
BenellisbeII
hunter

Postby BenellisbeII » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:23 am

badgers21 wrote:Would a dozen goose dekes be enough for early goose? I purchased the Real Geese Magnum 3D Canada Goose Decoys because they were on sale. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated!

Thats more than enough for early goose, just watch the geese in the fields right now there all in little family groups of anywhere from 6-15 birds. I've killed plenty of geese hunting by myself over 18 decoys.
BenellisbeII
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:26 am

I've been going to areas I knew I seen birds last season frequently and trying to locate owners and land permission on fields. I've got more No's then anything but have locked down one of my #1 targets. I have two more areas that I need fields in and I should be pretty set between me and a buddy of mine.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby badgers21 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:23 am

What is the best time of day to hunt for early goose? Is it going to be the start of shooting hours or could I have success throughout the day?
badgers21
hunter

Postby BenellisbeII » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:11 pm

badgers21 wrote:What is the best time of day to hunt for early goose? Is it going to be the start of shooting hours or could I have success throughout the day?

Early morning or late afternoons are usually the best, the middle of the day is usually a waste of time to hunt. You got to remember early season birds are very inconsistent and will change when they feed and where they feed day by day. We had a field last early season we were watching birds use every morning for 3-4 days before sept 1st. We hunted it September 1st and they never showed up.
BenellisbeII
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:52 pm

I've had that same experience. we shot em on a pond, then a field two days in a row and did good. they moved to a hay field for a solid week. we hunted it after they were in it for 4 days and never seen them again. our early ky season was only 10 days so usually after first couple it's over and they become very wise.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby badgers21 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:30 am

What are your thoughts on the State Wildlife Areas? I was planning on scouting these areas in the upcoming weeks, but would love some feedback. Specifically, I was going to check out Koshkonong, Tichigan, Clover Valley, Turtle Creek and Rome Pond. Unfortunately I will be limited to weekends during early goose season - how crowded should I expect these places to be?
badgers21
hunter

Postby backwoodsboy09 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:21 am

As far as geese go I would stick to fields for the morning. Big Muskego is good for ducks...but get out there early! Phantom Lake is good for early season geese but not so much for ducks.

2011-2012
4 Bands
18 Mallards
7 BW Teal
9 Gadwall
11 Shovelers
1 Pintail
1 Ringbill
3 Woodies
22 Canadians
backwoodsboy09
hunter

Postby badgers21 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:28 pm

Any idea what public ground has better access to fields? Otherwise I'll probably head Southwest of Milwaukee and try knocking on doors looking for private land.
badgers21
hunter

Postby BenellisbeII » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:28 pm

badgers21 wrote:Any idea what public ground has better access to fields?

I wouldnt even waste my time with that. Just start scouting and knocking on doors.
BenellisbeII
hunter

Postby badgers21 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:56 pm

Appreciate the advice. I'll plan on trying to lock up some private ground for early goose. From the previous messages, it sounds like some of the public hunting can be better for later in the season? Is it primarily marsh/water or are there fields where I could set up a layout blind and spread? My only experience has been pheasant hunting these public grounds
badgers21
hunter

Postby backwoodsboy09 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:09 pm

There's a couple of both field and marsh public spots by me. The one field I usually hunt if im not on private ground is usually empty as far as people go. The marsh varies on days and weather...I will say this though, knowing how to call will get you the birds over the other guys.

2011-2012
4 Bands
18 Mallards
7 BW Teal
9 Gadwall
11 Shovelers
1 Pintail
1 Ringbill
3 Woodies
22 Canadians
backwoodsboy09
hunter

Postby BenellisbeII » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:51 pm

backwoodsboy09 wrote:There's a couple of both field and marsh public spots by me. The one field I usually hunt if im not on private ground is usually empty as far as people go. The marsh varies on days and weather...I will say this though, knowing how to call will get you the birds over the other guys.

Not if the other idiots are sky blasting at everything that comes with in a 100 yards, aka the Vernon marsh. I gave up on hunting public land, unless were in my buddies duck boat and can get were 80% of the other hunters cant. Or late season is better cause you lose all the fair weather hunters. I've had to many days were I get up super early get to my spot and set-up to have some idiot come sit 100 yards away from me with no decoys or call and just pass shoot at everything when I'm trying to get the birds to land in my decoys.
BenellisbeII
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:59 pm

vernon marsh is a joke. everyone lines the banks and skybust everytime coming off the refuge or going to it. doesnt matter hor high ethier. i went on a monday afternoon. counted 10 trucks. they were sitting every where like a dove shoot it was ridiculous in my opinion and the guys who did have decoys were sitting on the dirt road so they would of never worked a single duck in there. just not a good spot in my opinion and wasnt worth the hassle or the drive.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby badgers21 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:11 pm

I'll cross Vernon off my list. Again, I appreciate all the input into helping me out here.
badgers21
hunter

Next

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting