Season Dates Announced!

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Season Dates Announced!

Postby abmcp13 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:03 pm

http://dnr.wi.gov/news/BreakingNews_Lookup.asp?id=2463
Looks like another 60 day season, but they moved the week long break back and the Goose season was extended, I can't wait for September to get here! :thumbsup: :grooving:
Go afield with a good attitude, Walk with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person. -Fred Bear
abmcp13
hunter

Re: Season Dates Announced!

Postby jmitch » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:40 pm

Dang! I was planning on the northern zone opener being september 29th and the southern zone would be the week after. This throws a wrench into the works for me! Otherwise it looks great
jmitch
hunter

Postby Kismet » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:04 am

Years ago, talked with a DNR historian-type guy about "possession," and daily limits. For some reason, I figured that "possession" meant ON you, or in your boat or car. Guess I thought it meant if you were out hunting for a week-end, you could have twice the daily limit with you.

He explained to me it meant, ALL birds you have...on you, in boat, car....and freezer at home.

See, I thought: for instance, if I was having a good season with pheasants, and didn't want to eat two a day, and put some in the basement freezer for winter food, I'd be in accordance with the law as long as I didn't have more than (at the time) 4 birds total with me.

NOPE. Four total, everydamnwhere.

When the regs refer to "bag" limit, I'm presuming they mean you can have:
Duck bag for all seasons:

Daily bag of six ducks total which may include no more than:
four mallards of which only 1 may be a hen
three wood ducks
one black duck
two redheads
four scaup
two pintail
one canvasback

but I didn't see "possession" limit.

I have heard of guys freezing ducks to take up to deer camp, and getting ticketed for having more than the possession limit, even though, the birds had been legally shot and then frozen for future use.

Since then, I've always operated as if twice the daily limit was the total you could have anywhere.

Since DNR is one of the few law-enforcement agencies which does not require probable cause to enter your dwelling, I know there were times when I was in violation of the law...with pheasants, at least.

Any clarification? :huh:
Last edited by Kismet on Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kis
For hunters, Fall is the island towards which we swim all year long.
Kismet
hunter

Postby webfettish » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:11 am

well whats the law on "gifting" birds away? you could say that you gave one full possession limit to your wife and then the others are yours??? or your friends, etc.

im curious as to how this would work. gotta start getting creative i guess if you want to enjoy ducks for more than just 3 months.

And anyone know when the youth duck hunt is for the southern zone??
webfettish
hunter

Location: Horicon, Oakfield, Eldorado, Green Bay, Winnebago (Water in WI)

Postby wigginsk » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:54 pm

Youth hunt is Sept 15-16th
wigginsk
hunter

Postby rmb79 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:15 pm

Once you get the birds home and cleaned, just label them as coot.....bam extra 30 "ducks" in the freezer...your'e welcome.
Go Pack, the Bears still SUCK!

Co-Founder of the S.B.A.M.F.W.C.
rmb79
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting