9 AM ???

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

9 AM ???

Postby waterfowler9 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:14 pm

I hunt up there mostly every year with friends and I can not think of a reason why 9 AM is the opening day shooting time. Anyone have any insight or the logic behind this time? You miss the morning flight and hope to pick up a few straggling flocks late morning before everything shuts down completely.
waterfowler9
hunter

Re: 9 AM ???

Postby abmcp13 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:01 pm

I've been told it keeps the idiots who don't usually hunt areas from driving around in the dark, but everyone in those areas has to anyway because they're usually so busy that you have to be at your spot by 5 am anyway.

And I don't mean out of staters, I didn't realize you were from, IL, just idiots in general.
everyone around us startes at first light.
Go afield with a good attitude, Walk with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person. -Fred Bear
abmcp13
hunter

Postby waterfowler9 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:37 pm

I hunt with a local guy and we have been hunting up there long enough to know are way around. We get out there around 4 and most others are out already also. There reall is not much if any boat traffic after sunrise anyway. Unless people use those couple hrs to do some quick scouting and running from spot to spot looking for a place to hunt. If anything it should be half hr. after sunrise, which would give the late arrivals/ idiots ample time to find a spot.
waterfowler9
hunter

Postby abmcp13 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:54 pm

waterfowler9 wrote:I hunt with a local guy and we have been hunting up there long enough to know are way around. We get out there around 4 and most others are out already also. There reall is not much if any boat traffic after sunrise anyway. Unless people use those couple hrs to do some quick scouting and running from spot to spot looking for a place to hunt. If anything it should be half hr. after sunrise, which would give the late arrivals/ idiots ample time to find a spot.

I completely agree, that was the only reason that I have ever heard, but it wasn't first hand from the DNR. I don't like the 9 a.m. start, you might as well not even hunt the opener, we usually just screw around that first day, and end up scouting late in the day, Sunday is our real opener.
Go afield with a good attitude, Walk with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person. -Fred Bear
abmcp13
hunter

Postby jmitch » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:35 pm

Its pretty stupid but I think its supposed cut down on the number on parties bumping into each other in the dark and the arguments that would ensue. There is usually a good number of birds working around 9 just because of all the people bumping around. It is what it is. opening day is pretty much a joke anyway. I'd like to say i don't hunt it but I do just like all the other idiots.
jmitch
hunter

Postby BigBB » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:03 pm

Aren't we getting cheated out of 3+ hours of our 60 day season with the 9am opener? They should give us an additional morning to hunt at the end of the season!
BigBB
hunter

Postby abmcp13 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:02 pm

BigBB wrote:Aren't we getting cheated out of 3+ hours of our 60 day season with the 9am opener? They should give us an additional morning to hunt at the end of the season!

That is sound logic right there!
abmcp13
hunter

Postby webfettish » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:18 am

The way i see it, it prevents ducks from just getting blind sided with steel... if you have to wait for them go get out of their roosting area before you blast them to bits then they can transition easier and actually have a chance of survival. I'm pretty sure its a way to help out the population, seeing as early season, a lot of the families are still huddled together, so instead of wiping out a whole flock of ducks that will come back to the same area to roost next year, at least they can get out and have a chance at surviving. I don't see it as being much of a problem, it used to be noon... which was worse.
webfettish
hunter

Location: Horicon, Oakfield, Eldorado, Green Bay, Winnebago (Water in WI)

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting