Low water and

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: NickCies80, Pete-pec

Low water and

Postby Kismet » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:30 am

deadfalls seem to be the order of the day.

Been floating down and paddling up tributaries of local river the last week or so.

A LOT of downed trees, and many that just plain block the waterway. The scout canoe I use is just 29 lbs (Dagger/Tupelo, 10.5),so easy enough to drag around, but some of these things are streamers that could get ugly with a heavier, less maneuverable boat. The wind storms always put timber down, but some passage-ways are just plain blocked.

Around here, water is lower than it has been in quite a number of years, even with the very shallow draft boat, a lot of dragging and walking required.

With waders, gun and ammo, and dog in the heavier boat, not optimistic about solo floats close to home. Could be dangerous, and, in some cases, just not "do-able."

Anybody else seeing this? We've had only marginal rains, if any, all summer long.

Be safe.
Kis
For hunters, Fall is the island towards which we swim all year long.
Kismet
hunter

Re: Low water and

Postby webfettish » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:07 am

best advice i could give you is bring a chainsaw when scouting. that and for us marsh hunters, i think a machette and marsh skis are going to be more necessity this year than in the past in order to get back in some of the pot holes. Theres a lot of sink holes where water used to be. Be careful out there, nothing is what it looks like in the marsh!
webfettish
hunter

Location: Horicon, Oakfield, Eldorado, Green Bay, Winnebago (Water in WI)

Re: Low water and

Postby Kismet » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:25 am

Be careful out there, nothing is what it looks like in the marsh!

I believe that is where the saying "That sinking feeling" came from.

I can almost immediately recall the sensation of trying to pull a leg up from the muck and feeling the boot sliding off my foot; one of those 20in high boot/30in deep muck.

:)
Kis
For hunters, Fall is the island towards which we swim all year long.
Kismet
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting