Mississip pools 8 and 9 Scouting

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: NickCies80, Pete-pec

Mississip pools 8 and 9 Scouting

Postby UWLAX QuackerStackers » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:47 pm

How is everyone's scouting going? Any Good signs? Things that concern you? Water level and habitat?
Personally got another chance to head to the river this weekend with some crew members and check things out. Got on the river during the middle afternoon until dark. Worked to the hard to access areas and saw patchy amounts of birds feeding and floating during light and quite a few nesters, but as nightfall crept in, the sky started to liven up! Hearing those beating wings cruise over head is something that will never get old :yes:
UWLAX QuackerStackers
Group of addicted responsible student-hunters
GPA? You mean our DKA (duck kill average)
driving an anti-mud loving grizzly with a Mudbuddy SD
UWLAX QuackerStackers
hunter

Location: La Crosse- Fall,Winter,Spring. Rural Waukesha County- Summer

Re: Mississip pools 8 and 9 Scouting

Postby Richie27 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:12 pm

Honestly, I'm not seeing hardly any birds but I'm working on getting permission on areas that historically hold birds. Its still early so Outlaw and myself are working on getting permission to some areas for early season.
Richie27
hunter

Postby mallardhead » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:03 am

Whats the water level like on 9 ? Are a lot tree stumps visible, sand bars etc.?
mallardhead
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:10 am

gps coordinates or it didnt happen.
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby UWLAX QuackerStackers » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:56 pm

Get out, sit in the sloughs,watch the sunset and see for yourself then. Pool 8. I'm not talking birds like you see come mid October, but a very respectable amount
UWLAX QuackerStackers
UWLAX QuackerStackers
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:50 pm

Enough with the location drops. Got enough ppl around these parts already.
Us locals sure don't care for your reports. Only people its beneficial to are those internet scouters and those that don't live here.
Pools, what are those.....
koonce727
hunter

Postby UWLAX QuackerStackers » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:39 am

Koonce: Hardly a "location drop". You aren't even a true life long local. Did you not live in Minnesota? Guarantee somehow you searched through several different means to try and find areas to hunt in both states at one point or another in your life. You also hold one of the most negative attitudes on this site judging your posts. Sure, at times many people hunt this great expansive river, but is it not their right? They may be contributing members to DU, WWA, USFW, and countless other organizations that made those ducks and that pothole you are sitting on available for you to harvest and utilize. Not to mention the boost to the local river side community economies visitors can and do provide. I'm not looking to call attention but when you negatively shut down users posts trying to hoard the river to you and your neighbor selves, that is what pisses people off and gives them an excuse to come and pile on top of you 5 minutes after shooting hours begin. If we hunters can come together, respect one another in the field, work together, take responsible, ethical ranged shots, and see the BEAUTY in a flock of circling birds across the way in the neighboring hunters spread, without getting pissed and skyblasting so others can't get them, Wisconsin Waterfowl hunters can set an example and show class act sportsmanship to all hunters and non, and most importantly the growing generation of kids who are the future to the sport.
UWLAX QuackerStackers
UWLAX QuackerStackers
hunter

Postby North » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:39 am

koonce727 wrote:Enough with the location drops. Got enough ppl around these parts already.
Us locals sure don't care for your reports. Only people its beneficial to are those internet scouters and those that don't live here.

Your kidding right?
North
hunter

Postby DukDukGoose » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:43 am

koonce727 wrote:Enough with the location drops. Got enough ppl around these parts already.

:lol: Chill out broseph. It aint YOUR river.
DukDukGoose
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:45 am

DukDukGoose wrote:

:lol: Chill out broseph. It aint YOUR river.

is to broshephine............. didnt get the memo ey. :biggrin:
koonce727
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:09 am

I honestly understand both sides of the argument here. I think he knows what all the organizations have done for everyone. He's just saying by tell people how your scouting went may draw more hunters to the area. and yes they have just as much right to hunt there whether they are local or not. But when you think about it, Im from Milwaukee and i see your post well if I decide to hunt the MISS river opener I may start my scouting on that exact pool described. Of course they are large areas and I know exactly how you feel we should all share info and be in this together but it just doesnt play out like that.

Hopefully this cold weather will push a few more birds down in the area and the cold weather will get the ones around here moving more.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby Tsquare86 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:56 pm

I was on pool 9 near the 82 bridge over the weekend. Never been there before and had no idea what I was looking for. Two key things I noted, I will always carry two props and a wrench from now on and the area I scouted will workout well for my 16' w/20hp.

Never having been on the river before I saw tons of areas to set my boat up that looked perfect. However, I had no idea if they would be good. It would have been great to have been able to stay until dusk, but with the duffed prop and 4 hour ride home, I decided it best to take off mid afternoon.

If anyone has any tips, tricks, or stories to share I would love to read as I have no idea what I'm doing on the river and don't want to be a complete clown when I try it out live the first time. Or if anyone has found any really good informative articles, that would be sweet too.

As far as the locals go with respect to us out of towners, I think you might want to take into consideration the influence we have on the local economy. I know that I'll be spending money in town when I come to visit. I surely hope everyone who drives in makes it a point to buy a couple beers in the bar and eat at one of the diners.

T^2
Tsquare86
hunter

Postby Maxgold » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:36 pm

I'd rather see the local economy go broke than have a bunch of duck hunting visitors come and crowd up the marsh.

:wink:

Anyway, this weekend I was in the Reno Bottoms - which is pool 9, and the water was very low. Anyone else hunt Reno?
Maxgold
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting