Open Water Regulations

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Open Water Regulations

Postby iandisorder » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:09 pm

So here's my question. I am going to be hunting from a boat this year. If the boat is pulled up onto land or a mudflat in a river is it legal to hunt out of or does it have to be 50% concealed.
iandisorder
hunter

Re: Open Water Regulations

Postby teamoutlaw » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:48 am

has to be 50% concelead my vegetation on one side.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:59 pm

Just throw out an anchor.
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby iandisorder » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:28 pm

I guess what I'm getting at is, is it considered open water if the boat is on shore, I'm assuming that if the boat is completely on land it would be fine, and if it is still partially in the water it would need to be 50% concealed.
iandisorder
hunter

Postby BigBB » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:14 pm

How wide is the river? If you can shoot from shore to shore than vegetation doesn't matter. (Page 8 "jump shooting"in the 2012 regs.)

If the river is wider than about 40 yards then you have to be in vegetation.
BigBB
hunter

Open Water Regulations

Postby Podcast » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:24 pm

iandisorder wrote:I guess what I'm getting at is, is it considered open water if the boat is on shore, I'm assuming that if the boat is completely on land it would be fine, and if it is still partially in the water it would need to be 50% concealed.

This is how I've interpreted this too. This law is just simply ridiculous.
Stage 2 GTR rippin up a 1746 custom Mike Kliebert
Podcast
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:27 pm

It's a gray rule that is very loose in its wording. Don't mouth off to the warden. I have been visited by the warden my fair share of times. Each set up will be different but the concealment is aimed for when the boat is in water and not beached. I have never had an issue with wardens when the boat is beached.

That would mean you couldn't use a layout blind on a sandbar because your not concealed. Another set up we use and have had no warden troubles when visited.

Be smart always do everything you can to follow the rules, carry the book, and be honest to the warden. If in his mind your in violation, apologize, let him no you were trying to follow the book and show it to him. The warden isnt looking to bust good folks, well most of them. The good majority are looking for those who don't no the rules and don't care to know them. Those blatantly breaking rules.

Bout the best I can give ya.
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby Tsquare86 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:11 pm

The last warden I talked to about the river situation told me that unless I had 50% concealment from vegetation emerging from the water I could not hunt from my boat with decoys in the river. However, I could jump shoot that same river from the boat...

As mentioned before, be careful on this one. Best bet is to either build a blind on shore and hunt from that or, pull your boat up to cattails, etc that emerge from the water. No need to have senseless tickets on this one.

I know one way I have gotten around this is to put the boat all blinded up against the bank and blended in with the dog in it (to keep her from trespassing on the shoreline) and then I stand adjacent to the boat mixed in with the vegetation overhanging the river.
Tsquare86
hunter

Open Water Regulations

Postby Podcast » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:43 am

^^ That last part is the most ridiculous part a this law. To pull yer boat up to a bank or shoreline and put up a boat blind and not be able to hunt out of it but take 2 steps onto the shoreline and you can even use yer boat ta hide ya as log as ya ain't shootin out a it. F'n stupid.
Stage 2 GTR rippin up a 1746 custom Mike Kliebert
Podcast
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:32 pm

koonce727 wrote:
That would mean you couldn't use a layout blind on a sandbar because your not concealed. Another set up we use and have had no warden troubles when visited.

I disagree with this entirely.
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting