La crosse Goose island canoe duck hunting

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: NickCies80, Pete-pec

La crosse Goose island canoe duck hunting

Postby Ducksanddeer1 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:57 pm

I will be a senior this year at UWl and am trying to get into duck hunting. I've deer hunted for 8 years and want to try for some ducks. Wondering what the rules Are for permits as well as hunting out of canoes are. Does the exterior permit cover the Mississippi subzone? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Ducksanddeer1
Newb

Re: La crosse Goose island canoe duck hunting

Postby webfettish » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:15 pm

you only need to know northern/southern zone, unless you plan on goose hunting. You will need a small game license, HIP certification, state waterfowl stamp and federal waterfowl stamp.

Check out the dnr's website for rules and regulations. You can download the PDF file and also if you just go get your license, the place you get it should have a migratory bird regulations pamphlet.

Welcome to the wonderful world of waterfowling. You may want to try getting a hold of someone from around the area on this forum to maybe take you out and show you the ropes. Getting started by yourself can be tough. Best of luck! :thumbsup:
webfettish
hunter

Location: Horicon, Oakfield, Eldorado, Green Bay, Winnebago (Water in WI)

Postby rnahunter » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:00 am

Just a word of caution... I wouldn't recommend using a canoe on the Mississippi; even if it is the backwaters. Reason being is that I tried it a couple times and it wasn't a good experiance with the other boaters as most of them won't slow down for anyone. Not only that, but if the wind comes up the waves can be treacherous. Not trying to detour you... just a word of caution as it can be very dangerous for canoers.
rnahunter
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:57 pm

Canoe is fine, just gotta know where to go. The waves are only bad on the big water. Dont be lazy, show up at the landing before others and you wont have to deal with boat traffic. If your lazy like most and get to the landing the same time every pansy and his worthless mutt does, then yes, boat traffic will not be fun.

Feel free to pm me with questions, I will help to a point but do not like posting stuff for all to read, to many lazy worthless internet scouters out there.

Been a lot of post here lately from college goers, I posted some good info a while back on some maps that will help you out.

Keep your eyes on this section come season, if I have an opening I may post on here if any fellas like yourself would like to go on a hunt. It would be short notice.
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby Ducksanddeer1 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:43 pm

Is it legal to canoe to one of the many islands out there and then stand in 2-4 feet of water to hunt?
Ducksanddeer1
Newb

Postby koonce727 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:14 pm

Yup. See a few guys each year stand in open water.
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby benson222 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:40 am

hey ducksanddeer1, I also got to UWL and am looking to duck hunt down here this year, did some hunting where i live in northern wisco for the last 2 years. Maybe we can go out sometime and do some scouting and hunting let me know.
benson222
Newb

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting