Goose hunting near Mississippi river

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Goose hunting near Mississippi river

Postby Whackndstack6 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:58 pm

Hey guys new to this forum but have used other forums like this. I would like to know if anybody has any luck with geese on the mississippi river particularly pool 8. I am into duck hunting and would like to try goose hunting I have killed a couple geese while out because that's all I ever saw is a couple I'm extremely new to goose hunting and this is not an attempt to Internet scout I simply just want to know any pointers I can get and if I need to focus on getting geese on land more in this area or what? Any comments, suggestions, and help is welcome
Whackndstack6
hunter

Re: Goose hunting near Mississippi river

Postby koonce727 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:08 am

only scouting and hunting will tell you what your looking for. Scout scout scout.

for scouting, find a roost, get there the next morning and follow them to the fields or feeding area, that will be your best bet. You can shoot them on water but around here you are usually running traffic going back to the roost, unless you can find a where they are loafing after they eat.

may have better luck around seven for field hunting.
Last edited by koonce727 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:20 am

you can kill geese just as easily on land as on water. scout alot and hunt where you see them.

also some of the best duck decoys on the water are canada goose floaters.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby Whackndstack6 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:16 pm

Thanks for the advice guys I really appreciate it Ben out scouting for the ducks recently have to start looking for the geese
Whackndstack6
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting